Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Inside Tire Wear? Ball Joints?

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
jbordwine is on a distinguished road
jbordwine's Tacoma Gallery
Inside Tire Wear? Ball Joints?

Over the past year to year and a half, my tires have been wearing pretty significantly on the inside. I kept them rotated every 6-8000 miles. I did let them go for a while to confirm it was the front end causing the problem. Took it to a reputable alignment shop and they claim everything is in spec but the ball joints could be the problem even though there is no play. Problem is, I had the Toyota Ball Joint Recall done last summer. Could the upper ball joints be causing this? I just got new Kuhmo MT's and want to remedy this problem asap. 2003 DC 4x4 114k miles all stock all original suspension minus whatever Toyota replaces in the recall.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Might need to replace the front shocks.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the shocks are worn out to me. if the ball joints are bad, you'll be able to tell fairly easily.....the boots on them will be cracked/dry/full of dirt, or they will be able to be moved by hand.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What brand tires are they and how many miles on them?

I had a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's on my 96 for about 5 years - they had about 40K miles on them and had atleast another year or longer of tread on the flats. They started wearing on the insides also. My allignment was checked and my shocks were only a few years old (OME's). I rotated my tires every 5K miles. The balljoints were fine.... I had an OME 881 lift (2") with OME struts on the truck for about 3 years. Normally, if the shocks are bad - you get CUPPING on the tires.

I never did find out what the problem was....(sold the truck).

Sometimes I wonder if the tires just start 'wearing funny' as they get older??
Old 05-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
High Mileage Work
tmantstud is on a distinguished road

tmantstud's Tacoma Gallery
When i had eneven wear on the inside of my front tires it was because my truck was out of alignment and needed a shim put in so that the tire didn't turn inwards. I know you already had the alignment checked but thats just my two cents.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Robbsolid's Tacoma Gallery
any other thoughts?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
jbordwine is on a distinguished road
jbordwine's Tacoma Gallery
Janster, they were a cheapo set of tires, Roadian Spartan SUV to be exact. They appeared almost new when I bought the truck and wore awesome for about 65,000 miles but over the last 15,000 miles the front insides started wearing pretty bad. This could point to worn shocks I guess. I'm not complaining, I think 80,000 miles out of any tire is great, I just want to correct the problem before it destroys my new Kumhos.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
One Side Wear
When an inner or outer rib wears faster than than the rest of the tire, the need for wheel alignment is indicated. There is excessive camber in the front suspension, causing the wheel to lean too much to the inside or outside and putting too much load on one side of the tire. The car may simply need the wheels aligned, but misalignment could be due to sagging springs, worn ball joints, or worn control arm bushings. Because load has a great affect on alignment, be sure the car is loaded the way it's normally driven when you have the wheels aligned; this is particularly important with independent rear suspension cars.