Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OME for my 99?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
99Taco's is on a distinguished road
99Taco's's Tacoma Gallery
OME for my 99?

First off, this forum is great. Lots of great advice and information. ty

There are a couple things I'd like to ask you guys regarding susp upgrades.

My truck is due for a new suspension (broken leaf, original shocks 141,000m etc) I really want to get as much done as possible. I'd like to accommodate a lift (up to 3") while replacing these parts but with my 265 tires, I'm not sure if that would look the greatest.

I have been contemplating the OME full suspension package at wheelersoffroad.com and feel reasonably good about it. I'd do the Toytech Ultimate package if I could afford it but I can't.

Questions:

- The OME front coil and springs are not adjustable therefore, I'll have to install the "10mm enhancement kit" or some spacers to level it off?

- Is it safe to say that if I add spacers, I should go pre-loaded as opposed to the top-loaded route?

- Does having an unadjustable front suspension limit what I can modify down the road (new front bumper, winch, bigger tires 285+)?? I can see myself adding weight to the front with either a new bumper or a bush bar. That being said, the 882 OME coils would be a better bet?

- Anything I should know about the OME shocks(N91s and N85's VS other options)? I couldn't find too much information on this.

Things I use my Tacoma for:

- hauling weight periodically. I'll be moving around a lot in the next two years and I plan on getting a canopy very soon (picture a canoe on top too!)
- off roading definietly but nothing much more that some mudding and minor crawling. (doing the diff. drop btw)
- highway driving
- looks of course and,
- longevity.

I hope this helps and I'd love to get some feedback. Fortunately, I have to get this job done soon for I am moving again in two weeks!

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Not exactly sure what the 10mm ehancement kit is....

The OME kit will give you the amount of lift it advertises.
The 881 coils would give you about 1.5-2" of lift (I had these on my 96 tacoma years ago).

The 882's (from what I've read) will give you 2-3" lift (without a bumper/winch on the front).

I wouldn't get trim packers until you find out exactly what you need. The trim packers are to adjust the side-to-side variance. The 1st gens always sagged on the drivers side and depending on the situation - after the coils have settled in, you can measure what size trim packer you'll actuall need to level things out.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Not exactly sure what the 10mm ehancement kit is....

The OME kit will give you the amount of lift it advertises.
The 881 coils would give you about 1.5-2" of lift (I had these on my 96 tacoma years ago).

The 882's (from what I've read) will give you 2-3" lift (without a bumper/winch on the front).

I wouldn't get trim packers until you find out exactly what you need. The trim packers are to adjust the side-to-side variance. The 1st gens always sagged on the drivers side and depending on the situation - after the coils have settled in, you can measure what size trim packer you'll actuall need to level things out.
the 10mm enahncement kit is basically a half inch spacer that sits on top of the coil assembly.........doesnt hurt the ride, but it gives you an additional half inch or so.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Thanks for responding.

I guess my main concern has to do with the possible constraints associated with the OME front suspension when I buy larger wheels(?) and tires down the road.

If the front OME's are not adjustable and I have to install a spacer kit or something like that, do I not risk hurting some of the other front end components when 4X4ing?

Just want to make the right decision for my truck.

Cheers.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Quote:

Thanks, I'll do just that!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Taco's View Post
Thanks for responding.

I guess my main concern has to do with the possible constraints associated with the OME front suspension when I buy larger wheels(?) and tires down the road.

If the front OME's are not adjustable and I have to install a spacer kit or something like that, do I not risk hurting some of the other front end components when 4X4ing?

Just want to make the right decision for my truck.

Cheers.
If you already have lift coils (like the OME coils) - you DO NOT want to install coil spacers (preloading) in there with the existing struts/shock. That's far too much pressure for the struts to handle. I've seen guys do that and ended up breaking the welds on the shock tubes.

If you want more lift down the road - get yourself a different set of coils in the future ...... (if you plan on staying with the OME lift)
Old 05-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
Quote:
If you already have lift coils (like the OME coils) - you DO NOT want to install coil spacers (preloading) in there with the existing struts/shock.

Are you applying that statement to my old struts? I plan on replacing both sets of shocks.

It seems to me that if you plan on doing some off-roading, you should opt to go with an adjustable coil over (bilstein).

Any comments?
Old 05-06-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful

Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Taco's View Post
Are you applying that statement to my old struts? I plan on replacing both sets of shocks.

It seems to me that if you plan on doing some off-roading, you should opt to go with an adjustable coil over (bilstein).

Any comments?
It doesn't matter if you have old struts or new struts. Don't put a preload spacers in with an OME lift coil (or similar lift coil). It's too much pressure for a standard strut/coil seat to handle and it could break - especially if you offroad with it.

You could buy the 5100's now (lowest setting) and put 881 coils on them. Then - when you decide to go with bigger tires, you could readjust the 5100's to give you an additional 1" or so.

I think the max amount of lift is 3" (in the front anyway) regardless of what setup combination you use.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #9
Thanks for the input.

Although the OME setup sounds like a good one, I think I will go for the 5100's and think about using my stock ones for now. (will have to reread those combo setup threads)

Now i just have to figure out what kind of leaf set to put in the back. I can do a nice (coil-less) package from Allpro but I've heard some negative things about the leaf's. And then I hear that the Dakars are optimized to work with OME shocks but I'm not sure if there are any other affordable leaf spring sets out there!