1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

AT shifter will not lock in gear

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hughesjrm, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Feb 17, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    hughesjrm

hughesjrm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    Hey TW I need a little assistance. I just completed my 4x4 conversion on my 03 DC, and now the AT shifter won't lock in gear. Actually there are three things going on. It also will not go into low gear, nor will it fully lock into park. I have to sometimes slam the shifter into park to get the key out. Any thoughts? I believe it has to be something in my linkage, but have adjusted several times with the same results.

2. Feb 21, 2015 at 5:06 AM
    hughesjrm

hughesjrm [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DC TRD
    Just Starting
    I'm surprised, nobody has any recommendation?

3. Feb 21, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    STICKY SHIFTER / SHIFTER IS HARD TO MOVE
    Most of us would disconnect the shifter cable from the transmission lever and then verify the cable is free by hopping in the truck and moving the shifter from park to low . We should feel nothing because the shifter cable is no longer connected to the transmission . If the shifter is still tight to move , we know that the issue resides in the cable or the plastic shifter cover . A quick lube job is going to fix that up .

Next , with the shifter cable removed from the transmission lever , try and manually move that transmission lever by hand . You should feel click , click , click and it should be fairly easy to move with your hands . If you cant move it by hand , remove the PRNDL switch shown on page 16 at this link , it shows the switch in question . Spray the heck out of it . Some guys actually have to replace the PRNDL switch becuase of corrosion .The PRNDL switch gets very tight when it corrodes http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/pdf/A750E.pdf

When the switch is removed , you can spray the seal on the transmission that sits behind the switch to see if there are additional problems with the lever shaft since the lever shaft is also known to corrode .
    , then take a small screwdriver and pry the lever seal away from the shifter selector shaft enough to blast some lubricant between the seal until you get the lever to move by hand .Might have to work it back and forth a little but its going to free up . You should have the wheels blocked when you do this .Both of these issues are very common

Next , place the transmission gear shifter in park and " REMOVE THE KEY "
    Throw the key on the drivers seat until your done .
    Go to rear of truck and manually push it by hand to verify the truck is actually in park . Go back under the truck and check to see if the shifter cable lines up perfectly with the hole in the transmission lever . If it doesnt line up , adjust the shifter cable until it fits perfectly into the transmission lever . The adjustment is under the shift counsole .
    Once the cable is aligned with the transmission shift lever , verify the truck will only start in park and nuetral .

The links provided are Not for your 2003 but the rest of the information is universal .

The last paragraph above is what you need to do to adjust your linkage . Make sure the key is laying on the drivers seat when you make the adjustment

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top