Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is there a difference between a 4x4 motor and a 2wd motor?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
"Not you, fat jesus"
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11A 1-184 IN
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a difference between a 4x4 motor and a 2wd motor?

i hav a 2002 prerunner, and thers someone parting out a v6 4x4 near me. i have been wanting to do a swap and im wondering if its possible to swap a manual 4x4 v6 into a prerunner that had a 2.7L auto.

any help!?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
it sounds like a ton of work. first will it fit, if it does youll need diff. motor mounts, youll need his ECU, will the tranny match your drive shaft
Old 05-06-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
It'll be a lot of work.....

Are you keeping the auto tranny you have now?

The things that come to mind (Burgman mentioned), are matching the engine up to your auto tranny. Bellhousing, & splines come to mind. Motor mounts and *will it fit* in the engine compartment without having to relocate other shit that's already mounted in your engine bay....etc.

How old is your truck?

Have you thought about trading or selling and buying a V6?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
"Not you, fat jesus"
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11A 1-184 IN
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
It'll be a lot of work.....

Are you keeping the auto tranny you have now?

The things that come to mind (Burgman mentioned), are matching the engine up to your auto tranny. Bellhousing, & splines come to mind. Motor mounts and *will it fit* in the engine compartment without having to relocate other shit that's already mounted in your engine bay....etc.

How old is your truck?

Have you thought about trading or selling and buying a V6?
Mine is a 2002, the engine is a 2004

i would like to keep my auto tranny.

i have thought about trading to a v6, but ive put over $700 in stereo equipment, as well as a 3inch lift and new wheels/tires. all adding up to around 2500. to trade it, most likely i would get a stock tacoma and i would have spent money for nothing.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
Mine is a 2002, the engine is a 2004

i would like to keep my auto tranny.

i have thought about trading to a v6, but ive put over $700 in stereo equipment, as well as a 3inch lift and new wheels/tires. all adding up to around 2500. to trade it, most likely i would get a stock tacoma and i would have spent money for nothing.
Did you save any of the original equipment that you took off the truck?

You can swap the original equipment back in and keep all the modifications you've already done and put them into a new truck.

I'd hate to say this but.... the amount of money you'd lose ($2500) by trading the truck will be far cheaper than the cost to swap an engine. When you add the cost of the engine, the time & labor, the extra parts, the problems you'll run into, etc.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
ryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to beholdryanf is a splendid one to behold
ryanf's Tacoma Gallery
wow, take all your stereo gear out, that swap is not worth the effort.

1st, if you're asking, im going to assume you're not mechanically inclined, not a dig, just meaning you will have to pay someone to do it.

you will need to change the motor mounts, which requires cutting, and GOOD welding, then the tranny mounts, and cutting into the floor for shifters, new console, clutch mount, new belhousing, ECU swap, all the basics that go with the motor, lines, electrical, ect.

Plus the cost of the new parts, taking them out of the other one....

You will spend a fortune, and then if you ever try to sell, good luck trying to sell a VIN that is a 2.4 and you hacked it all up to swap...

just sell it!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
The Eternal E
efranck2 is on a distinguished road

efranck2's Tacoma Gallery
just buy mine lol
Old 05-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If you have done an engine swap before, its not that hard. Its time consuming, but easily doable.