1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Completely disassemble the throttle body?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EdFlecko, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Feb 19, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    EdFlecko

EdFlecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Sacramento, California
    I'm wondering if the throttle body can be completely disassembled so it can take a bath in, for example, Berryman Chem-Dip???

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/pro...rryman-chem-dip-carburetor-and-parts-cleaner/

I'd like to clean my TB as efficiently as possible, but since some of the parts connected to the TB are plastic and/or electrical connections, I think it's best to remove those before even considering giving the metal body itself a bath. I know the IAC can be removed and then it can probably be soaked to get the crud build-up out (after removing the rubber gasket, of course), I'm just not sure if that's possible with the main TB itself?

Has anyone completely disassembled their TB as I'm suggesting and then soaked it in cleaner to get it squeaky clean?

:)

Ed

2. Feb 19, 2015 at 11:40 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    there is NOTHING to it literally.

im told there is a coating on it to prevent dirt from sticking so you don't want to use chem dips or carb cleaner on it for that reason.

its just a flap valve and that's it so the tings you clean are the 1/2" egr passage and the AIC valve mounted to it and the egr valve. honestly I think if you want to clean it "like new" I would do a sonic cleaning and that's it, I wouldn't try taking it completely apart or you can do more harm then good.

I saw this video and its amazing how simple an idea it is and it looks to work as good as those expensive sonic cleaning machines.

have a look:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1DtY2VwSyY

3. Feb 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM
    tacolover87

tacolover87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eugene, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCSB TRD Sport
    that is so cool i can't wait got try this on something!

4. Feb 19, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I would suggest you use a better way to secure it. I think the vibrations would cause the Velcro to let go of something heavy hanging on it like a jar of liquid and parts in it.

im thinking some sheet metal with pop rivets securing it to the lid should assure nothing comes loose.

im just trying to think of a large enough jar to fit most carburator and parts you might be cleaning. maybe a supersized mayonnaise jar from a cafeteria or restaurant?

its a great idea though, a $15-$20 palm sander and jar is all you need.

in fact im gonna repost it so everyone sees this thing

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. Feb 20, 2015 at 2:00 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    oh well, so much for that idea, it was moved over to the "general automotive" forum so no one will see it now.

I understand it fits better there and that's why they moved it but hardly anyone except new members would ever go there to see it because regular members just go straight to or create a link straight to only their trucks forum that fits their truck type only.

Products Discussed in

To Top