1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4wd at speed - noisy?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BackCountry, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Feb 19, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    BackCountry

BackCountry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Hey Folks,

Had a question about my 4 wheel drive at higher speeds.

I got caught out in a snowstorm the other day. On a small backroad highway, asphalt but it was quite slippery and snowy and I got caught up in a pretty bad fishtail. The only thing that stopped me from spinning out was hitting the 4wd button just in time to go 4 hi. Everything straightened up and crisis averted. However I tried to continue the drive in 4 hi, but seemed like it was running quite loud. So far I've only used the 4wd on poor backroads at slow speeds, so not sure what I should expect from highway speeds, 55-65mph ish. It seemed like there was a lot more engine noise like higher rpms, even though the tac looked normal.

Normal for extra engine noise in 4wd? I get the impression it may not be the best idea to run 4hi at those speeds, and I should definitely engage and disengage at lower speeds. The engine sounded particularly loud around 50mph (80km) and would get quieter above and below.

New tires are coming to replace my bananna peels, but just wondering what standard practice is for driving in 4wd on snowy asphalt.

Thanks.

2. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:15 PM
    043RZ

043RZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, OME Dakar leaf springs, BudBuilt Traction Bar, 15" American Racing Wheels, 5.29 Nitro Gears, 35" BFGs AT, Pioneer 200 Watt Stereo, 6x8 Pioneer speakers, Raised Front and Rear Diff Breathers, Deck Plate Mod, Red Interior Underglow, Red Exterior Underglow, Cool White LED Rock Lights,
    When engaging 4WD you want to make sure that you do not have wheel slippage or spinning before engaging. I know in a moment of panic its human nature to do anything that may help an emergency situation, but when you engage while things are slipping you essentially put a shock load on the drive train when the front diff engages and grabs traction. Which in turn can cause damage. I doubt you did any damage for you would probably be having more symptoms then just noise. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the plug on the front diff and possibly the transfer case to inspect and fill with new. I do know when im in 4WD and i go to accelerate from a stop i notice a bit more noise. The noise is engine rpm related and not speed related... sorta like a harmonic vibration.

As far as engaging and disengaging i do believe as long as your under 45mph you can engage 4wd, disengaging can be done at any speed, but if you need to be using 4WD while driving i wouldn't be doing 55+ mph.

3. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:21 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    1st gens have push-button 4WD?

4. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Yep, manual shift to Low range but we have a button on the side of the range shifter for 4x4.

5. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:38 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    Learn something new every day. Thought it was strictly a stick-shift T-case like the FJ Cruiser.

Then probably no damage for BackCountry's driveline. If 4WD engaged, it meant the ECU determined via the various sensors that the parts lined up and matched in speed.

6. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:42 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Should not go over 55mph in 4WD anyway. IIR it is in the owners manual.

7. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:43 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    My 4x4 will not engage at speeds faster than 65 MPH, it just beeps.

8. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:46 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Except on 95-00 models, they were all true manual t-cases. My truck kinda disappointed me when I got it, I was expecting full time manual t-case too, but it works I suppose.

9. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    Believe it says to engage it under 50mph, go as fast as you want when it's engaged.

10. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:53 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    No such thing in the owner's manual. http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM35766U/xhtml/OM35766U_OM0005.html?locale=en

Page 134:
    If you don't have the push-button, the speed to shift from H2 to H4 is limited to 80 km/h (50 mph).

In both cases, once engaged, top speed for in H4 is the top speed of the truck.

11. Feb 20, 2015 at 8:54 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    I stand corrected sir. :eek:

12. Feb 20, 2015 at 9:09 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    ^Now find a dry lake bed or racetrack and try to hit top speed in H4. :D

Be sure to follow the owner's manual and inflate the tires by extra 3 psi for extended operations above 100 mph.

13. Feb 21, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    BackCountry

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Thanks for the info folks. Slipping into some Discoverer AT/3s this week, so hopefully that will help the situation and I can save the 4wd for off-road and otherwise slow driving situations.

The pushbutton 4H is pretty nice. Most of the time it's quite responsive and silent engaging. Disengaging sometimes takes a little while followed by the classic loud thump.

14. Feb 21, 2015 at 5:31 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Before you disengage it, make sure your tires are straight in a line, blip the throttle, then when the engine comes down in RPM about halfway, hit the button, it should disengage smoothly that way. I do that and never have problems with clunky disengagement.

15. Feb 21, 2015 at 9:17 PM
    BackCountry

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Thanks for the tip, will give that a try next time.

It sounds like taking the load off the engine is key. Seems to me some of the times it's taken a while to disengage, I have been straight, but on a hill or accelerating from a stop.

16. Feb 22, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    Logger

Logger out for a rip are ya bud?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD OR Crew Cab
    I have a '04 3.4 double SR5 TRD with just the standard "J" 4WD engagement. No button...

17. Feb 23, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    LetsTacoboutit

LetsTacoboutit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEÑOR MEMBER
    Tejas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD 6cyl
    yada, yada, yada
    My 4x4 engaging was always silent up until I got my frame replaced a couple of years ago. Ever since then, when I put it in 4 hi, I hear a faint whistling noise almost like bearings spinning. I had Toyota look at it a couple of different times when it was in shop for other items. They said everything checked out ok. So now I just live with it, it is still very, very faint.

Products Discussed in

To Top