Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear brake work done - now wheels don't lock

Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
jaket is on a distinguished road
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
Rear brake work done - now wheels don't lock

Backstory..

My parking brake bell crank was seized, so I replaced it on both sides. I also did the wheel cylinders when I was in there cause they were pretty cheap to get (used oem manufacturer Aisin).

I adjusted the whole parking brake system, the cable, the bell cranks, and the star wheel to where now the parking brake locks when the bell crank is pulled about halfway, which equates to about 12 clicks on the parking brake handle. I also flushed the brake fluid using the gravity method.

I went to test the brake out in a icy parking lot and discovered that now when I slam my brakes (regular brakes not parking) my wheels no longer lock up. Previously they would always lock up when I slammed them. I dont have ABS. This doesn't really seems like a bad thing to me, Im more just confused as to why they used to lock and no longer do.

The parking brake seems to hold ok...if I accelerate up to about 1200 RPM it fails....normal?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
The Tacoma came stock with rear anti lock brakes for your truck. You should only be able to lock the rear brakes by applying the parking brake.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
I have never seen any indication that I have ABS either in braking performance, dash lights or anything else. The brakes definitely used to lock in the rear.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
KyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shedKyleNowad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KyleNowad's Tacoma Gallery
You have more issues than the ones you fixed. I'd take it in and get quality work done.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaket View Post
I have never seen any indication that I have ABS either in braking performance, dash lights or anything else. The brakes definitely used to lock in the rear.
Its a crude system, and they may have locked in the past due to an issue that is fixed now.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

According to Edmunds, 4 wheel ABS is standard on all 2001 Tacomas:

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma...res-specs.html
Old 02-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
According to Edmunds, 4 wheel ABS is standard on all 2001 Tacomas:

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma...res-specs.html
The Edmunds doesn't seem to specify if ABS is standard or not. From what I have read it did not become standard until 2003.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
Assuming it does not have ABS, is it normal for the rear wheels to NOT lock up?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 PM   #9

Quote:
The Edmunds doesn't seem to specify if ABS is standard or not. From what I have read it did not become standard until 2003.
Under Safety Features. If you look under Optional, its not listed.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Under Safety Features. If you look under Optional, its not listed.
It also says I should have daytime running lights and a front bench seat, which I don't. Im not sure I trust Edmunds in this case.

According to this article ABS became standard in 2003:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...php?article=88

I am thinking that it is the proportioning valve. I didn't mention earlier because I didn't think it relevant, but I also changed my rear shocks, the old ones were completely shot and offered almost zero pushback. Could the new shocks have lifted it enough to change the proportioning valve?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #11
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
I'm more inclined to believe the "gravity" method of bleeding is the issue. I tried the gravity bleed method, the brakes were not what I wanted. I had to vacuum bleed the brakes at each corner.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #12
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It also says I should have daytime running lights and a front bench seat, which I don't. Im not sure I trust Edmunds in this case.

According to this article ABS became standard in 2003:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech.old/...php?article=88

I am thinking that it is the proportioning valve. I didn't mention earlier because I didn't think it relevant, but I also changed my rear shocks, the old ones were completely shot and offered almost zero pushback. Could the new shocks have lifted it enough to change the proportioning valve?
Definitely could be making the difference. Try bending the rod so it's not in the full open position or get a relocation bracket. Search LSPV or LSPV-BV for more info.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
Definitely could be making the difference. Try bending the rod so it's not in the full open position or get a relocation bracket. Search LSPV or LSPV-BV for more info.
Is it even a problem for the rear wheels to not lock? From what I have been reading around it seems like that could be normal.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Lone Star Club
whahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhahahajr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jimbob
whahahajr's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not a fan of them. I know a lot of people who have just deleteted them. I worded that wrong a second ago. The fully open position would allow more pressure to the rear brakes. Closed position with no weight in the bed closes the valve. When you have a load or towing it lowers the bed and allows more pressure to the rear.

It should not be locking up every time you tap the brakes but you want to feel some drag. The valve reduces the brake pressure to the rear brakes so that they don't lock up.

But it sounded like in your original post you felt like you were not getting any help from the rears.

LSPV is set for stock any time you adjust the shocks or springs you need to adjust the valve. Because the truck with a stiffer spring or shock will not allow the valve to work properly.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:17 AM   #15
jaket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whahahajr View Post
I'm not a fan of them. I know a lot of people who have just deleteted them. I worded that wrong a second ago. The fully open position would allow more pressure to the rear brakes. Closed position with no weight in the bed closes the valve. When you have a load or towing it lowers the bed and allows more pressure to the rear.

It should not be locking up every time you tap the brakes but you want to feel some drag. The valve reduces the brake pressure to the rear brakes so that they don't lock up.

But it sounded like in your original post you felt like you were not getting any help from the rears.

LSPV is set for stock any time you adjust the shocks or springs you need to adjust the valve. Because the truck with a stiffer spring or shock will not allow the valve to work properly.
Overall I would say my braking power is very good. The pedal feels good, the stopping distance is good. Im not sure how much braking power is going to rear vs front but it doesn't feel bad. The new shocks I put on the back were Bilstein 4600s, which are stock size so theoretically I shouldn't need to adjust the valve.