1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slow but functioning E-locker. Worth cleaning?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by smokn, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Feb 24, 2015 at 8:42 AM
    smokn

smokn [OP] Unsenior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB TRD SPORT SR5 4x4
    Background: My E-locker technically works, it's just extremely moody about when it engages. I try to engage it when sitting at stoplights (5spd w/ grey wire mod) occasionally just to keep it in working condition. Sometimes the little light will keep blinking and not lock in until I've taken off and I'm 2 miles down the road...after which it decides it doesn't want to disengage as I'm approaching a hairpin turn :mad:

Other days, it locks in as soon as I click it and disengages right away when I turn it off. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I've read that serpentine paths help, but no one told my Taco that.

Me question: Is it worth the trouble and risk of tearing everything apart to clean it up and possibly speed up how fast it engages? I've read several excellent write-ups detailing the process. I think I can manage it fine, but if my locker is behaving like most usually do then I don't want the hassle.

In short, do any of you with well cleaned factory E-lockers engage better than what I described?

2. Feb 24, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    mwrohde

mwrohde Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma 4x4 5-speed 3.4 TRD SR5
    Mine behaves the same way. I *think* that it takes a little rotational difference between the rear wheels to get it to engage. That comes from purely my own anecdotal observations.

I won't, however, give it 2 miles on dry pavement running at speed to attempt to engage.

3. Feb 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM
    smokn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Noted. I guess mine is pretty average then.

4. Feb 24, 2015 at 3:34 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    x2

And dude, lockers are for off-road.. Don't use it on pavement unless you want shit to break

5. Feb 24, 2015 at 4:20 PM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    Touché .. However looks like you were just burning a little rubber; not driving for miles on pavement. Turning on pavement while locked will cause unnecessary tire wear and create excessive stress on the diff as well as other critical parts.. My .02

6. Feb 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM
    smokn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    To clarify, I don't try to make it a habit of driving locked on pavement, and I certainly don't try to take corners locked. The same goes for 4WD to a lesser extent unless the roads are slick enough to allow differential rotation rates. My intent is just to occasionally engage and disengage all of my systems to keep them in working order.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the input. Looks like I just need to make more off-road time.

7. Feb 25, 2015 at 10:54 AM
    markmb45

markmb45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    99 4x4 Reg Cab 3.4, auto, e-locker
    V6,Auto, e-locker 4runner dash, seats
    Your locker sounds like it is working properly. When rock crawling mine will act like you're describing, pressure on the gears and gear alignment is the causing the problem. Backoff on the gas and it'll lockup or unlock.

8. Feb 25, 2015 at 4:16 PM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup: Def a good idea to keep 4wd and the elocker engaged from time to time to keep them fresh.

Sometimes if my locker is hesitant to engage I will make slight turns L to R like others have mentioned, but if space is limited while offroad I'll just punch the gas real quick (from a stop) thus spinning one of the wheels allowing the splines to line up and lock up...

9. Feb 25, 2015 at 6:43 PM
    smokn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for weighing in on this. I don't know if it was the rainy roads, more methodical serpentine path, or maybe just engaging it so much lately but my locker responded a bit faster today when I tried it. I flipped it on and off a few times and it seemed to do as it should.

10. Feb 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM
    smokn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    One last update: I think the former owner just never used the locker. Today I was able to lock it in within about 10 ft of pressing the button and quick left and right jerk of the steering wheel. Disengaged just as fast. Glad I didn't tear into it!

11. Feb 26, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    TIPICOTACO

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    BOOM! TW does it again.. Glad you got it all sorted out

Now get out and use that summabitch!!:burnrubber: :mudding: :cheers:

12. Feb 26, 2015 at 7:35 PM
    BackCountry

BackCountry Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD
    Interesting...

I find my locker can be a bit temperamental as well. Which had left me thinking, in a pinch, what if I'm not able to drive a bit further in order for it to engage. But it sounds like if you are stuck, the locker should probably engage as soon as you start spinning the wheels?

I should make a habit of engaging it more often. I suspect as the OP may have noted, the more often you use it, the quicker it will go in, combined with using it under the right conditions. I just have to do the grey wire mod, having to go 4L holds me back from trying it more often...

Products Discussed in

To Top