1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP! Scary sounding noise from my DD, should I call a tow truck?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by HaveDogWillTravel, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Feb 26, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    HaveDogWillTravel

HaveDogWillTravel [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    Hey guys, I'm new here. Actually I've been lurking for a while, but my daily driver ('97 extra cab, 160k miles) just started making a scary new noise this morning so I finally signed up in the hopes of getting some feedback.

I'm worried to even drive it to the mechanic. It's a loud buzzing that sounds like it's coming from right behind the dash on the drivers side. I uploaded a recording to youtube if anyone wants to give it a listen:

http://youtu.be/VG16sJq7mCo?t=20s

It starts at maybe 10 mph and gets worse with speed. I could also faintly hear it when I was backing down the driveway. I only got it up to maybe 30 in the video. Ever since I got the truck almost a year ago I've noticed a faint burning rubber-ish smell after driving it. I just chalked it up to burning oil (synthetic) from the leaky valve cover, but it seemed stronger tonight after I drove it to record that video so now I'm starting to wonder.

With the help of some of the DIY threads around here I've started doing my own maintenance when I can, so far just oil changes, brake pads and replaced a brake caliper, but this new noise sounds like it's coming from the engine and I can't afford to be without a vehicle right now. I did just replace the caliper a couple weeks ago, if that might be related.

I need this fixed ASAP. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Feb 26, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    presto

presto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Topher
    san francisco
    Vehicle:
    2000 T4R 4x4
    Fully armored on 33’s
    Nvm lol.. Not what I thought..

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Op, is this something that you can only hear while your driving or does it occur at an idle but not as noticeable? Also, does it sound like its coming from the interior or from underneath the hood?

The reason I ask, if it's coming from the interior, I would think that it maybe the speedometer cable is lacking the lubrication it needs and being in a cold ass weather area, what grease is on the cable has congealed and is screaming at you. I believe your truck has a cable and mechanical speedometer as Toyota hadn't switched over to the electronic speedo yet. I could be wrong on that, hopefully if I'm wrong, someone will correct me on it. When you were driving, did you notice if the speedo needle was bouncing?

If it's from under the hood, it sounds like perhaps a bearing from the alternator, a/c compressor, water pump or anything else that rotates as it sounds like the noise increases with speed.

All those things are easy fixes. If your not comfortable driving it, you may want to have it checked out by someone you trust.

4. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    things under the hood like engine equipt would make noise without having to go anywhere and moving or not these things would crap out rather quickly since truning off the engine is the only way to prevent them from getting worse.

things like brakes or wheel bearings or tranny related noises can be whats going on

the speedo cable is possible grumbling noise but that you should be able to tell is near you and under the dash and shouldn't be a burning smell.

maybe the fan motor is doing it if you have the heater or the defroster running, that one item is the only thing I know of (short of an electrical fire) that will have a plastic burning smell to it

first things first is to check our suggestions as best as you can and eliminate what you can.

next jack up both front tires and spin the wheels listening for bearing or brake noise.

definitely list more details about your truck and how it is equipt so we can better help you, also fill out all this info in your accounts truck info on your profile page where you put "97 Tacoma" fill that in with all your info like we do

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. Feb 26, 2015 at 10:35 PM
    HaveDogWillTravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    I think you guys got it with the speedo cable! Glad I checked up on this thread before I went to sleep. What a relief!

I have noticed my speedometer bouncing lately, and this morning was especially cold so that would explain it. The burning smell is probably just oil and I was just letting my imagination get the best of me.

I coulda swore the noise was coming from the dash, but I didn't know there were any mechanical parts in there. Plus when I had a brake squeak recently I was *positive* it was the drivers side (even after hanging out the window to listen) and it ended up being passenger, so this time I was doubting myself. I thought if it was in the engine compartment it must be pretty serious to be so loud.

I don't hear it at all unless I'm moving, although when I lifted up the hood to listen to it run I did notice a small squeak that I think was coming from the water pump bearing. I've noticed some other squeaks and squeals when I'm driving that I think are caused by worn belts or bearings, eventually I'll get them fixed but I barely notice it anymore.

Lubing the speedo cable definitely sounds worthwhile, and if the cable just pulls out like this http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-11-23_001146_96_taco.pdf I think that's something I can manage. And if not I think I can live with it until I can get it fixed - as long as it doesn't do it while I'm out having fun in what looks like it might be our only good snowfall of the year this weekend!

Now that I have an account I guess I'll have to start actually participating here some. I'll get my profile updated and once I finish the storage/sleeping platform I've been working on I'll get some pics added. Thanks for the help everybody! Saved me a trip to the mechanic.

6. Feb 26, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    HaveDogWillTravel

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma SR5
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to lube the cable with? Would sil glyde work or should I get a dry lube?

7. Feb 27, 2015 at 6:03 AM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    OP, they make a lubricant just for speedo cables. You should be able to find it at an auto parts store.

I've used a graphite based lubricant in the past with some success, but it gets messy if you're not careful. Please don't use just any grease, you'll just make the problem worse by doing so. Also, just lightly coat the cable as it doesn't require much.

Before you rip your dash and instrument panel apart to lube the cable, why don't you disconnect the cable at the transmission and then give it a whirl to see if the noise has stopped. If not, then you know its not the speedo cable and you reconnect the cable and look elswhere.

Good luck.

8. Feb 27, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    also the squeaks under the hood are almost always those idler pulley bearings doing it so replace them if they have any wiggle at all to them. its easy to tell by just grabbing them in your hand and try rocking it in a motion so left and right go in and out alternately then do the same for top and bottom sides.

it could be a belt of course but those idler pulleys are famous for going out every 25k-35k miles or so, especially the bottom one

Products Discussed in

To Top