1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 96 Taco, 4'th gear and brake light...

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kayakingguy, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Feb 26, 2015 at 7:57 PM
    kayakingguy

kayakingguy [OP] Ask about my custom truck detailing!

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    Picked up a new (to me) '96 Taco, single cab 4X4 manual...

Runs great, got a relatively good deal on it, expecting it might need some work, need advice on the following:

1. It shifts smoothly into every gear but fourth, it catches a bit going into fourth every time, but there is no clutch fade, no catch, no problem with 1-3 or 5... Is this a synchro issue or a warning sign that the transmission as a whole may be on the way out?

2. the brake warning light is on. There is a 3-way brake link in the back that the owner says leaks a bit... could this explain the brake warning light? If so it's a 30 dollar part, if not what trips the brake sensor? Brakes seem to work well and fluid level is stable so far...

2. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:01 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    If the brake proportioning valve is leaking it could cause a brake warning light. The reservoir has a sensor in it that detects when the brake fluid is getting low. Also the leak could let air in and cause the brakes to not work as well as they should.

3. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:20 PM
    kayakingguy

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    Thanks, luckily my neighbor is a mechanic with lifts at his house. :)

Unfortunately I am thinking I may need transmission work or a new transmission... What transmissions will fit the 2.7 liters?

4. Feb 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    tranny sounds like the 4th gear shift fork could be bent but only way to tell is to tear it down and shift through the gears to see what binding, I doubt its an expensive repair but the labor involved can be.

as to the brakes he may be talking about the tee fitting at the axle where the rubber line joins the rear brakes to the main line coming from the proportioning valve.

if its the proportioning valve that's a more expensive repair but equally simple to replace.

other then time and just a few dollars you just have minor problems with the brakes

5. Feb 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM
    kayakingguy

Member:
    OutsidaTampa
    After a second day of driving (and enjoying some off-roading as well), I believe the synchro for 4'th is going but with slow shifts it does not catch, I also believe the clutch may be worn a bit more than I thought, but everything is actually functional right now, so rather than create a problem, I'll wait and do the clutch and transmission rebuild/replace if it gets a lot worse...

Brakes are a simple thing it sounds like!

Products Discussed in

To Top