1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would this offer insult you?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by DogueParamour, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:46 AM
    DogueParamour

DogueParamour [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR
    Hey all,

Before I make an offer on this 04, wanted to ask current owners if you would be insulted by my offer? Link below shows the CL ad, but it's a super clean, quiet, no leaks, 04 xtra cab TRD w/ shell & 79k miles.

KBB books at $13,550 for Private Party in Very Good condition. Nada has a clean retail value at $13,650.

Two issues I had was an alignment was needed, it's a stiff ride with the cheap shocks he put on, his aftermarket stereo is terrible, and the shell doesn't lock. Nothing that will turn me away except for his asking price..$15k. I know being in SoCal drives up the price of these trucks, but for $2k more I can get the same setup in a Gen 2. So with that being said, I was going to offer him $13k, which IMHO, is a fair price for an 11 yr old small truck. Insulting?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/4903465457.html

Any input would be much appreciated. Cheers!

2. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    TacoGlenn

TacoGlenn Nobody Makes a Monkey Outta Me!

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    '13 MGMAC 2.7L SR5
    Hellwig 1251's, Leer 122, Kahtec smart stop delay flashing 3rd brake light, de-chromed, de-badged, WeatherTech mats, WeatherTech side window deflectors,

I think 15k is fair for a 6 cyl. AC in excellent condition and with only 77k mileage.

At the bottom of the CL posting:
    "Please, NO low ballers."

3. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:56 AM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    KBB and Nada don't have a clue on the actual vehicle, so I just use their prices as a ballpark value somewhere in the middle, so I'd guess he took that value and added the cost of a shell and got his 15k mark.

I'd say it doesn't really matter if the shocks are stiff or the stereo sucks, or that the shell doesn't lock because those are personal things that you might hate but the next buyer loves or has no issue with, and an alignment is under $100, and something I would mention in price negotiation. The other stuff doesn't have any effect on the value of the truck. It HAS an upgraded stereo, it HAS shocks, and it HAS a good shell.. know what I mean? If the stereo was missing or broken, shocks were leaking, and the shell had broken windows or cracks in the fiberglass it'd be a different story, but not the case here.

I wouldn't think the price is insulting, everybody overprices on CL since CL people tend to be extreme lowballers and tire kickers. Personally, I'd offer 13,500 as that's a legit fair price and see what he says. There's no reason that I can see that warrants $2k off his asking price if the only real issue is it needs an alignment.

Keep in mind my comment about CL users. 90% of people will offer you 1/2 of your asking price whether you're selling a boat, car, or a half case of toilet paper. 5% will come kick the tires and then leave a lingering "I'll call you," and then disappear, and the remaining 5% are the only ones worth your time. Try to avoid being 95% of CL users, unless you really don't care about buying this truck. Wasting his time (and yours) is more insulting than offering under his asking price. I'd bet money he's asking for 15k and is actually looking for 14k, and 13,500 is a fair offer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. Feb 27, 2015 at 10:59 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Offer him $13k, if he turns it down no big deal. There is a ton of other trucks out there.

5. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM
    BenCO

BenCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    That seems awfully high for a 2wd truck. You'll likely regret the 2wd after a short time. Also in 12k miles the 90k service is due, that's about a year under normal driving conditions, so add 1500 to that unless you know your way around a garage.

I got my 04 double cab 4x4 in 2008 with 36k for 13500, I bet I could get the same today at 94k miles, these trucks hold their value very well.

6. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:03 AM
    LocknLoad

LocknLoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    near the Cherohala Skyway, TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Off-Road 4x4
    I wouldn't be insulted by that offer. KBB backs up what your offering. Judging only from his ad and your description, he replaced the worn out shocks with shocks of lesser value, the TRD package may have been worth $1000 off the lot, but it isn't worth an extra grand now. If the radio is an "upgrade" or not is in one's opinion, so if you want to change it that's fine, it doesn't add extra value to the truck. Personally I'd prefer the stock radio, knowing no one has made changes they shouldn't have.

Bottom line I think he's "adding value" to his truck that really isn't there. It's low miles and well kept, I'd leave it at that if I were him.

Does he have maintenance receipts? If he took the same "replace with lesser value" approach to the truck maybe it's not in as good shape as first appears.

I'd consider what you NEED to replace immediately, tires? alignment? etc. and build that into your price of what you're willing to pay. Then consider what you WANT to replace, radio, shocks, cap, etc sometime down the road as well.

I think he's nuts if he thinks he'll get 15K for his truck, but I could be wrong, and might as well ask right? Someone may pay it. Know how much is too much that you're willing to pay, and be prepared to walk. There are lots of good used Tacoma 1st gens if you keep looking - which admittedly may take awhile to find the right one.

If you're looking for a specific year, model, trans, options, color, etc your search will take longer. But if you want a 1st ten tacoma 4x4, you search will be easier to find.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

7. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:05 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Hmm didn't realize it was 2WD .. offer him $8k and walk away if he accepts it.

8. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    The market is a little healthier in CA, and the majority of 1st gens I see are 4x2, still a market for them and the local prices reflect that.

9. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    4WDTrout

4WDTrout Perpetually dreaming of tall trees & rivers

Member:
    First Name:
    Theo
    Vehicle:
    08 4WD SR5 DCSB
    Total Tacoma nOOb.
    Depending on the options it has...some of the 1st Gens are hard to come by. Like my old truck.

I actually sold my 04 4WD, TRD, SR5, Extra Cab, Manual, 130K Miles, (Uber Clean & Maintained. had 1 small dent on the rear panel) on Craigslist to a guy from the Los Angeles area(god I miss that truck). I was pressed for time to sell it and if I recall correctly, I asked $12,995 for it and ended up selling it to him for something like $12,700.

Seeing that the truck you're looking at is 2WD....I'd hold out for a 4WD truck. If you really are wanting 2WD, then I'd offer him less.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  10. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Oh wow, that truck here would be like $5k, maybe 7-8 if it was super clean. 2wd trucks aren't worth anything up here. For $15,000 I could get a 2nd gen TRD OR 4x4 with fairly low miles.

11. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack
    I wouldn't go for that especially being 2wd.

What is it that you like about it so much?
    Low miles?
    How clean it is?

12. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    Offer $1 if you want. Who cares if he's insulted. It's your money to fork out, not his.

Edit: BTW, I paid $18k for my '07 in '10. He's asking too much.

13. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM
    BenCO

BenCO Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4x4
    As I sit here pondering your thread, just wanted to add this. In 2000 I was living in San Diego and bought a brand new Tacoma, I went with a TRD prerunner. I loved that truck, it was amazing. But I regretted every single day the fact I didn't get a 4x4. I managed to make things work and have fun off road for 8 years, but I sold it in 2008 and got my 2004 double cab in 4x4. Granted, I live in CO now and need the 4x4 legitimately now, but I still to this day, 15 years ago regret not getting my 2000 in four wheel drive.

Bottom line, so-cal or not, don't make the mistake.

14. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    DogueParamour

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR
    I appreciate everyone's responses. I have zero intentions of "lowballing" him, but maybe my interpretation of low balling is a little different than some. I just want to offer what I think is fair, for both the seller and myself, and it's still in the same vicinity of what both KBB and NADA suggested.....I would never be that DB that offers 60% less.

I'm cool with the 2wd. My last two trucks were both Titans that I took to the dirt far too many times, one being 2wd, the other 4x4, and not once did I need it. When I go boarding, I just throw chains on, have some solid tires and off I go.

And you're right PeeRunner, the used market in Ca as a whole is insanely populated with Tacomas of all different types of styles and options, priced well above KBB. But I'm fully aware you get what you pay for and it's why you'll never see me in a Chevy or a Dodge!

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input. I hope I'll get to become a true member of this forum shortly.

15. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM
    520Toyota

520Toyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    C.V.
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    dcsb 6spd 4x4 offroad
    Ome lift
    I wouldn't pay $13k for a prerunner. There's an 2002 5sp trd Offroad 4x4 in sacramento cl a couple of days ago and the asking price was $14.5k on a truck with 60k and original owner.

16. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:35 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Let us know how it goes. 13k is still a good offer. If he prices his stuff on CL anything like I do, it's probably what he's willing to take anyway. :D

17. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:39 AM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    With like 4-5k down you could almost buy a new one at a low interest rate with a factory warranty. Not to insult him but I can't see 8-9k (on a good day) so I'd run. He's impressed the shocks have been replaced. I wonder what hasn't been done.

18. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:47 AM
    ErocksTaco

ErocksTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 DCSB Sport Radiant Red
    OME 886 and rear Dakars Light Racing Upper Control Arms All pro U-bolt flip with Timbren Bump Stops CVJ Reman axles with off road boots Adventure Offroad Fab Sliders ARB Front Bumper Interior LEDs Weathertechs 2009+ taillights 2009+ headlights
    I think it all depends on comparable trucks being sold on CL in your area. I always check out the other trucks that are similar to mine and often find they're priced higher than NADA/KBB and I think demand in my area for them allows sellers to do it

19. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    KJsTacoTruck

KJsTacoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '11 Taco TRD OR
    OME lift, Camburg UCAs, 285/75-16 BF Goodrich AT KO 2
    Go check it out, bring cash if you're really interested. If you like it and you have even 12k (or 10-11k maybe) in hundred dollar bills it'll be hard for him to turn it down.

20. Feb 27, 2015 at 11:52 AM
    DogueParamour

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Oceanside, Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 AC TRD OR

That's what I'm struggling with. Not too many to compare around here in the Gen 1 model that is so clean with so few miles. It has a consistent maint history from the previous owner. I was actually looking at Gen 2's until I stumbled upon his ad, and not gonna lie, I dig the look of his truck.

BTW - he's a 19 yr old kid.....probably should of mentioned that. He's most likely hoping to squeeze every penny out of the sale for his next truck. Which I don't blame him for.

Products Discussed in

To Top