1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric/heated seat swap.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by toypower, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mar 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM
    toypower

toypower [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    Niceville FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab Tacoma
    Sas swap, dana 44 high pinion front, Corporate 14 bolt locked, disc brake conversion. 8 inch superlift springs on 39.5 iroks, 5:38 front and rear. Hydraulic assist, 3 inch body lift, Yukon axles front/rear, bilstein shocks, CAI, rock ripper header.
    My buddy is ordering some racing seats for his 2004 mazda 6s. His factory seats are black leather in perfect shape, I can pick them up for dirt cheap, BUT... I don't know if this is even possible. I know of people removing the tracks and replacing different seats on the factory Tacoma tracks. Has anyone done this? Since his seats are electric and I do swap out the tracks will I be able to still slide the seat forward and backwards? The only real downside I see to this is that his lean control is electric so I'd have to figure that out. Just wondering if anyone has two pennies to drop on this. I've swapped out tracks before, but the seats I did were Honda civic seats from an old SI.

2. Mar 3, 2015 at 9:10 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    electric seats only move with electricity, they have no way to move them manually or without power.

as to fit, I think the most important part is how the front sits in place on the rail it mounts to. if its too different it will be an issue so the front feet are the most critical in my opinion. the backs are more generic and you just drill a hole where needed to bolt it down.

3. Mar 3, 2015 at 11:36 AM
    toypower

toypower [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    corey
    Niceville FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab Tacoma
    Sas swap, dana 44 high pinion front, Corporate 14 bolt locked, disc brake conversion. 8 inch superlift springs on 39.5 iroks, 5:38 front and rear. Hydraulic assist, 3 inch body lift, Yukon axles front/rear, bilstein shocks, CAI, rock ripper header.
    I thought about just cutting the feet off both sets of seats and re-welding them using my stock set I think that "might" work. I don't know though. I'll keep this thread updating with photos and information.

4. Mar 3, 2015 at 11:45 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    well the main thing to watch for if trying to reuse the original mount holes is the width of the seat brackets, some brands can be an inch or two different

5. Mar 3, 2015 at 3:38 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I put electric (driver's side) Subaru seats in my truck. Check my build for a link to the project. I'm on my phone or else I would.

I cut the tracks off my Tacoma seats and the Subbie seats then welded the Tacoma tracks onto the Subbie seat rails. Sits at stock height that way.

Be careful when welding the electric seat(s) there were plastic guide inserts inside the Subbie rails that would have inevitably melted and FUBAR'd the entire project if not removed.

Found out (through blown fuses) that the motor on my seat requires a 15a fuse.

Products Discussed in

To Top