1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2003 DC 4x4 - motor mount?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by geoyota760, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Mar 4, 2015 at 5:04 PM
    geoyota760

geoyota760 [OP] Allergic to pavement

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    5.29 Nitros Bilstein ICON Kansei BFG
    As the title states, looked at a possible purchase/used 2003 DC Tacoma 4x4 here in SoCal today.

Need a little advice/feedback from TW members...

Took the test drive, the truck has 165,xxx miles, VERY clean. Price is not the issue, I feel it is fair if not a little high, but the market seems to demand it. $13,995.

I would have purchased on the spot...buuuut, during the test drive, and on some, but not all take aways from dead stop, there was a perceptible "clunk" that I felt. Thought it might be a coil over, or other suspension component. The dealer offered to fix, at their cost whatever "their" mechanic uncovered.

He thinks it is a motor mount...and would only cost about $40 in parts plus labor to fix. Is this true?

He seemed very knowledgeable, and I know they sell a lot of Tacomas/4Runners/Tundras at this dealership. Yelp reviews are overwhelmingly positive...except for a few Yelpers that seem to profile Persians. I really don't care so long as the truck is nice.

Here is a link to the truck: 2003 DC 4x4 Tacoma in San Diego

Should I pursue or pass?

Thanks in advance TW members. :D

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 6:44 AM
    opteron

opteron Well-Known Member

Member:
    whittier, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2003 DB 4x4 SR5
    Leer camper, bug-rug, fox suspension 2.0 rear, fox 2.5 front, BAMF sliders and LCA, TRD fake 3 piece rims
    they had that truck for sale for a long time now. Which seems kinda of odd, I would check the frame and if its's a california truck or bought through auction.

3. Mar 5, 2015 at 7:21 AM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Thanks for the reply...at 40+ views and no responses, was beginning to wonder if my Nissan was showing.

Yes, we noticed that the dealership has had this vehicle since mid-January 2015. That was a red flag too.

My challenge is the fact that here in SoCal, TRD packaged DC's with lockers are hard to come by, and usually fetch a premium.

4. Mar 5, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    OP, that's a very clean truck for the year and mileage. I just wish that they provided pics of the engine compartment, but I suspect its just as clean. The price is on par.

If that clunk is a concern pf yours, why don't you ask them if you could take it to an independent mechanic and have it inspected. It'll cost you a few $$, but if it's more than a motor mount, it may save you a few $$ in the long run.

That clunk brings a few things to mind with owning a 1st gen Tacoma. Axle wrap which they're notorius for, u-joints or suspension issues. If you search the forum using "axle wrap" you'll find numerous posts on causes and remedies.

Personally, I wouldn't shy away as those are easy fixes. Looking at the photos it looks well cared for and if the timing belt and hopefully the water pump has been changed as they claim, you're good to go. Good luck!

I really enjoy my 02' DC! :oldglory:

5. Mar 5, 2015 at 7:34 AM
    TengoTaco

TengoTaco Newb

Member:
    La Quinta, CA
    Vehicle:
    2020 OR 4x4 Manual
    8112, SPC, Elka 2.0 rear and Icon AAL. About 1.5”
    Good chance it's the driveshaft that needs to be greased.

Just had this issue, thought it could have been the trans going out. Pumped my zerks with grease and for $10 I was good again.

6. Mar 5, 2015 at 7:39 AM
    chowwwww

chowwwww Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    03 Doublecab 4x4
    Billys 5100/Eibach and Wheelers Progressive 1.5 AAL with overload in
    very clean truck. I think 1st gen motor mounts suck to begin with. They do tend to allow the motor to have a little wiggle room.

7. Mar 5, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Great post, and thanks for the info.

The dealer/owner recommended the 76 Station next door for a $95 bumper/bumper inspection. I'm trying to find an independent mechanic in Mira Mesa if I want to follow through on this truck.

Thanks for the reply Tengo...

When I got under the truck, the rear driveshaft looked "good," but the front had grease oozing out of both the front and rear u-joints. For a truck that was claimed to have never been "off road" not sure if this is a red flag or not?

Thanks chowwww....

I "searched" here on TW and studied up on the engine/motor mounts. Seems to be more of an issue with 2nd Gen Tacos, especially 05' and 06'. A simple replacement it seems...IF that's the issue.

8. Mar 5, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Looked at another 2003 DC, with 103K for $17,100 today in Corona...and checking out another "high mileage" rig, a 2004 with 170K for $13,500 tomorrow.

The search continues...thanks fellas. :D

9. Mar 5, 2015 at 2:48 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    Axle wrap and easy fix.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/108316-goodbye-axle-wrap-mod-13.html#post9958208

10. Mar 5, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
  11. Mar 5, 2015 at 3:58 PM
    rzgkane

rzgkane Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TDR Sport 4WD DCLB - Cement - Tech and Premium
    4Runner Trail wheels and Toyo Open Country ATII tires 265-70-17. Cosmetic stuff like Pro grille and OffRoad black bumper trim, vinyl delete on side, added hood graphic, OEM tube steps.
    Easy way to know if it is axle wrap is if the shift lever moves significantly forward or backward at the precise moment the clunk is felt. If so, you are feeling the effects of the rear axle twisting/returning back to a neutral and unloaded condition and it can be cured using the method you read about.

12. Mar 5, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    DIRT YOTA

DIRT YOTA Aka EL ROJO

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Camarillo, CA
    Vehicle:
    03' dbl cab with some stuff
    Keep in mind if the motor mount is broken the perch could be jacked up too. Check the trans mount for play as well. Truck may be clean and all, but still been driven offroad hard. I flogged my truck when she was stock. Same truck as ur talking about, didn't really start breaking stuff till longtravel game started.

13. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    anyone else see the "barcode" sticker on the frame?

possible frame replacement? something not tightened down when this was done?

new frame is nice (if it is)

14. Mar 6, 2015 at 5:07 AM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR

No play in the shifter...I checked that.

15. Mar 6, 2015 at 5:16 AM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR

If this truck was off roaded...it has to be Glamis. The undercarriage, rear diff, and lower A arms were unscathed.

Te previous owner was a Qualcomm engineer (according to the dealer) who was meticulous in his care of the truck. A surfer, he even vinyl coated (black) the roof to protect the finish from dripping saltwater.

This was a cosmetically nice truck...but after looking at other used trucks in this mileage range...there are serious fundamental red flags.

-sitting on their lot since mid January 2015.

-a clean Carfax...but the last sale of the vehicle doesn't jibe with what the dealer is telling me...sold to Encinitas Ford when he claimed the vehicle came to them on a direct trade in??

-not offering to pay to assess and fix the problem. I just have a problem with paying $100 for a car I "might" buy from a dealer with an already acknowledged mechanical problem.

-the arrogant attitude of a non-negotiable price for this truck. While it looks great, there is ALWAYS room for negotiation. Hell...it's a cash sale...make something happen!!

Anyhow...a lot more Tacoma DC 4x4 shaped fish in the sea...

16. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    ChrisH

ChrisH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orinda, CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 PreRunner
    Price is the main reason for it sitting on the lot. That's a 15 year old car.

It sounds like the driveshaft/ujoint's were serviced recently. It's likely the dealer already knows the problem & feels it's too expensive for him to fix it. Otherwise it would've been fixed when serviced.

If he's not negotiating on price, then he's probably had interest in the truck. He's willing to wait for the right person.

Encinitas Ford does sell used vehicles, so it's unlikely this truck would've gone to auction. I don't know what this dealership's relationship with Encinitas Ford is, but he could've bought the truck from Encinitas Ford & is trying to flip it for a few grand more.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  17. Mar 6, 2015 at 7:49 AM
    Tinmann

Tinmann Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorCal
    OP, glad to see that you're making an intelligent decision instead of an emotional one! Now, run like hell!

Good luck in your search, I'm comfident you will find the truck that meets your decerning eye. :oldglory:

18. Mar 10, 2015 at 3:06 PM
    geoyota760

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    Update: took this truck to The Truck Shop and paid for a $90 evaluation.

"Clunk" was the front drive shaft slip yoke...which the dealer has agreed to replace/discount the selling price to the tune of $550.

James...the owner of The Truck Shop was awesome, and gave the truck a clean bill of health. Only issues are consistent with a truck with 165,000 miles...trans fluid, coolant, ball joint wear, steering rack leak....but nothing major.

Feeling much better about this truck, especially after looking at three other Taco's in this age/price range...one was full of rust, the other were modified beyond my comfort level.

Hope to have some purchase news in the next 48 hours....:)

opteron likes this.
  19. Jun 5, 2015 at 6:23 AM
    opteron

opteron Well-Known Member

Member:
    whittier, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2003 DB 4x4 SR5
    Leer camper, bug-rug, fox suspension 2.0 rear, fox 2.5 front, BAMF sliders and LCA, TRD fake 3 piece rims
    any updat!

20. Jun 6, 2015 at 3:22 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    ok as far as motor mounts, if one is bad insist on both being changed new or no deal

I would look carefully at the leaf springs to be sure they are not flat and you are hearing axle wrap going on or just the flat springs bottoming out with no suspension.

still looks like a good deal no matter what

Products Discussed in

To Top