Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Check engine light on

Old 03-04-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
MattD14 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
MattD14's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Check engine light on

I drive a 2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 v6 3.4L. Pre-runner. My check engine light is on. Got it tested and my cat converter is bad. I have a flowmaster 50 series American thunder catback exhaust. I want to cut out my cat converter and put just pipe. How do I go about doing that? Y pipe? H pipe? What? Any help will be appreciated. I live in Florida so emissions is not a problem. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #2
high n mighty is on a distinguished road
high n mighty's Tacoma Gallery
Emissions are a problem for everyone
Old 03-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

MattD14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by high n mighty View Post
Emissions are a problem for everyone
Well it's not illegal in Florida to not have a catalytic converter, so I can careless if these other people in my city hate it. Hate on it
Old 03-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ex-cel-lent Guy
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't an H-pipe/X-pipe built for running true dual exhaust? Why would you want to run true dual exhaust on a naturally aspirated Tacoma? You will have very little back pressure and lose your low end torque.

What are you trying to do with your exhaust? If you want to ditch your cats for straight pipe just to save money go ahead and just cut them out and replace with pipe. Otherwise I'd plan a whole new exhaust tailored to whatever your needs are (sound, power, etc) because every exhaust is a compromise between several different things.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

MattD14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterdog View Post
Isn't an H-pipe/X-pipe built for running true dual exhaust? Why would you want to run true dual exhaust on a naturally aspirated Tacoma? You will have very little back pressure and lose your low end torque.

What are you trying to do with your exhaust? If you want to ditch your cats for straight pipe just to save money go ahead and just cut them out and replace with pipe. Otherwise I'd plan a whole new exhaust tailored to whatever your needs are (sound, power, etc) because every exhaust is a compromise between several different things.
that's what I'm trying to understand. Is that all I need to do is cut them out and weld pipes in? I have no idea is why I'm on here. Also what kind of pipe is used for the cat up by the engine. Isn't there a bend in pipe ?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Resident Agrologist
Sterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedSterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ex-cel-lent Guy
Sterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattD14 View Post
that's what I'm trying to understand. Is that all I need to do is cut them out and weld pipes in? I have no idea is why I'm on here. Also what kind of pipe is used for the cat up by the engine. Isn't there a bend in pipe ?
That's all you need to do. Remember though that CAT was taking a lot of noise out of your exhaust and your exhaust sound may change drastically without a CAT in there.

Exhaust piping is made out of stainless steel. Just crawl under there and look at what you'll need and where you want to cut. If you're totally clueless I'd recommend taking this to an exhaust shop you trust and letting them do it. Making a bad weld could lead to an exhaust leak and those can be deadly around the cab. They won't charge you much for cutting out a CAT and throwing some pipe in there as long as it's legal for them to do so.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:38 PM   #7

MattD14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterdog View Post
That's all you need to do. Remember though that CAT was taking a lot of noise out of your exhaust and your exhaust sound may change drastically without a CAT in there.

Exhaust piping is made out of stainless steel. Just crawl under there and look at what you'll need and where you want to cut. If you're totally clueless I'd recommend taking this to an exhaust shop you trust and letting them do it. Making a bad weld could lead to an exhaust leak and those can be deadly around the cab. They won't charge you much for cutting out a CAT and throwing some pipe in there as long as it's legal for them to do so.
Yeah my dads a collision guy. Him and I would probably do it. And I know it'll make it a lot louder, if it's too loud I'll just buy an aftermarket cat and put it in. Thanks for the help/advice.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
LetsTacoboutit is a splendid one to beholdLetsTacoboutit is a splendid one to beholdLetsTacoboutit is a splendid one to beholdLetsTacoboutit is a splendid one to beholdLetsTacoboutit is a splendid one to beholdLetsTacoboutit is a splendid one to behold

Name: SEÑOR MEMBER
LetsTacoboutit's Tacoma Gallery
What is this "check engine light" you speak of? Sounds like a cryptid. My "friend's" check engine light burned out after 5 years of being on and That was 6 years ago.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:02 PM   #9
KCBoudreaux is on a distinguished road
Name: Kyle
KCBoudreaux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsTacoboutit View Post
What is this "check engine light" you speak of? Sounds like a cryptid. My "friend's" check engine light burned out after 5 years of being on and That was 6 years ago.
I like your sense of humor!
Old 03-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
Holy schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoly schmidt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: The 1st Jon and only Wyatt
Holy schmidt's Tacoma Gallery
I really liked the sound of even my stock exhaust without the cat
Old 03-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
cep89 is on a distinguished road

cep89's Tacoma Gallery
What is the code that is setting your check engine light? If you have a code that your after cat o2 sensor says your cat is not working correctly, cutting off your cat will not turn the light off. Your truck will still have it's light on, but it will be louder.

Even if your state has no emission testing it is still illegal to remove the cat and put a pipe in place of it because it is a federal law. So a reputable shop won't do it for you.

However if you really want to do this you can get a "test pipe" on the internet for your truck that will fit in the cats place and you can pull the bulb out of the cluster for the check engine light.