1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

blown transmission?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wawest, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:27 AM
    wawest

wawest [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    long beach
    Vehicle:
    caged tacoma
    I have a 2001 tacoma prerunner 3.4 with 140k miles on it and reverse is gone when it is in park there is a load on the engine and there is no neutral when i put the transmission in reverse the truck acts like its in neutral but the reverse lights are on and when the truck is off in reverse i can push it like its in neutral. when the trans is in neutral with the truck on it goes to drive??? what do i do? what year tacoma trans will work in my truck?

2. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:42 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    sounds like your shift linkage is messed up, have you been off roading just before this happened and you might have hit anything you drove over?

I don't know what the shift linkage looks like but something may have come loose with it and its in the wrong position now. if that checks out then you have to look internally inside the tranny shft mechanism to see what happened.

if you can do this yourself it might be a simple inexpensive fix, if not drop by cottman transmission, they have been fair pricing for things in my experience with them and not looking to tell you you need work you don't need.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:45 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    I have to agree with keakar, sounds like the tranny linkage is loose and out of alignment. Easy fix, under the center shift console there are some adjustments and down on the tranny shift arm there are some adjustments, but I'd wait for Gearcruncher to weigh in before touching those as he is the master of the A340 transmissions.

4. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:47 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Shift linkage or a vacuum hose might have popped off the transmission. I don't know if they still use them on newer transmissions, but I had it happen on my 1978 Bronco with a C6 auto one time, I hit a big puddle and after that, the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear and I thought I'd blown it or messed it up somehow. Come to find out a small vacuum hose had popped off from the water and needed to be replaced.

5. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:56 AM
    wawest

wawest [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    long beach
    Vehicle:
    caged tacoma
    i took the linkage completely off and shifted the truck from underneath and still same problem

6. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    then its internal issue in the tranny.

it doesn't sound like much is wrong or anything that "should" be expensive but the question is, are you up to going into the tranny yourself to fix it?

if so then there are guys at this site to help you but you need the FSM as well so get that and contact Gearcruncher by PM and ask if he can help you with advice (just in case he doesn't notice this thread)

7. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    wawest

wawest [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    long beach
    Vehicle:
    caged tacoma
    i was thinking just to put a used one in but what years will fit?

8. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:08 PM
    wawest

wawest [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    long beach
    Vehicle:
    caged tacoma
    also it didn't throw any codes

9. Mar 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    well it could be as simple as a loose nut fell off or a nylon washer needs to be replaced.

hell if you don't want to go into it yourself then go to cottman for an estimate on whats wrong first before deciding to spend that kind of money on replacing it for maybe no reason at all.

this really is a minor issue, things that mean serious money with a tranny are when it goes in gear and revs but doesn't go full speed, that when it needs rebuilding. an internal shift linkage issue might only cost you $100 to get fixed

but its your call so do what makes you feel the best about it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  10. Mar 5, 2015 at 2:55 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Did you get the truck stuck ? Any chance you tried burn outs ? Whats the fluid level look like ?
    Reverse in this transmission is strictly mechanical but I do agree with whats been mentioned above regarding an internal linkage issue . When the truck is in park with the " key removed " , can you manually push the truck by hand or does the transmission hold the truck from movement . Go to the back of the truck with the " Key removed " and see if you can make the truck roll by pushing it . Does it hold or will it roll ?
    Here is some info
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...warner-340-series-transmissions-write-up.html

11. Mar 5, 2015 at 5:08 PM
    wawest

wawest [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    long beach
    Vehicle:
    caged tacoma
    the truck does not roll in park with the key removed
    and the ruck hasn't been stuck i have done burnouts in the past but that was along time ago
    the fluid level was good and there was no metal in the fluid when i checked it from the dip stick

12. Mar 5, 2015 at 5:38 PM
    CD20H

CD20H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab TRD 4x4 Limited
    Magnuson Kompressor, OME lift kit, JBA Headers, junky Sony radio.
    Take it to a transmission shop and have them diagnose it.

13. Mar 6, 2015 at 4:54 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Forward clutch is welded to the front ring gear or planetary gearing is broken and locked together .
    I am sure if you pull the pan off , you will have a clear indication of the problem .
    I believe your transmission is the A340E .
    If you are looking for a second hand transmission , your best bet is calling around to your local wrecking yards . Those guys answer the " what fits " questions every day and it doesn't take them long to locate a low mileage unit .
    I do agree that a professional diagnostic from a transmission shop will help .

Products Discussed in

To Top