Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Fuse for trailer hook up?

Old 05-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Radiator is on a distinguished road
Radiator's Tacoma Gallery
Fuse for trailer hook up?

Seems like i blew a fuse while hooking up a trailer but i can't find it. I've got a '01 trd with a factory 4wire flat plug. When i first connected the plug, all the lights worked, but before i got out of the driveway the tail lights and brake lts quit working, but the turn signals work. So now when i check the plug at the truck there's no tail lts. or brake lts. I checked the fuses under the hood and under the dash but they are all good.
Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check them more carfully..there has to be one out...
Old 05-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #3
devilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nicedevilsalmostfree is just really nice

Army: 82D Airborne Div., Infantry Mortar Man, Paratrooper!
Name: Carl
devilsalmostfree's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to devilsalmostfree
maybe a bad ground? i dunno, just throwing that out there!
Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
At this point the trailer is out of the picture. At the factory plug at the the rear of the truck i've got power between the left turn signal and ground and between the right turn signal and ground, so, yes i have a good ground.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiator View Post
At this point the trailer is out of the picture. At the factory plug at the the rear of the truck i've got power between the left turn signal and ground and between the right turn signal and ground, so, yes i have a good ground.
Well, OK, but ... One would expect a good ground from the only one of three rear light circuits that's still working ...

Have you done the same check on the brake and tail light circuits?

Unless there's a loose / broken connection somewhere, I tend to doubt it's a grounding issue. All 3 circuits use the same ground point.

Check both your tail and brake light bulbs. A bad bulb might explain it.

Also - are one or both of the license plate lights 'out' as well?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #7
All the lights on the truck are working but but they're not working at the FACTORY INSTALLED PLUG, suggesting that there's either another fuse block somewhere or inline fuses that isolate the trailer ckt. from the truck lts.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #8
FOUND IT!
There are fuses at a third location....inline fuses under the jump seat in the jack compartment. I didn't spot them the first time because they were wrapped up in a big gob of tape.