1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaking going 65mph, truck surging while coming to a stop

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PobreFresh, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Mar 10, 2015 at 3:35 PM
    PobreFresh

PobreFresh [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4dr 4wd 3.4L auto
    So about a month ago i did a complete brake job on my front. Well about 2 weeks ago after the snow in Texas my truck started shaking on the highway, steering wheel included. I drove around on an old golf course and was playing around with my truck. nothing too extreme. But ever since then my truck started having problems. When i start to come to a stop or even just slowing down my truck starts to surge forward, its like its shuddering to a stop at low speeds. But thats only after ive been driving for awhile, well after my truck has been warmed up. It feels like im tapping the brakes every rotation until i come to a complete stop. I was told it could be a warped rotor, but i dont have any other idea what it could be unless i screwed something up while driving on the golf course.

2. Mar 10, 2015 at 3:44 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    sticking caliper...

3. Mar 10, 2015 at 3:45 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
  4. Mar 10, 2015 at 8:34 PM
    PobreFresh

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4dr 4wd 3.4L auto
    My caliper may have something to do with my stopping problems, however I don't see that causing my truck to shake. But I'm not really leaning towards my caliper. I need to see if my rack and pinion is functioning correctly or if my tires need to be rotated and balanced.

5. Mar 11, 2015 at 5:45 AM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    I had the same exact problem with my 94 Toy pickup...and it happened mainly on damp, humid days. Personally, I would recommend going back into the front brakes and giving everything a good clean, rotors, calipers, pads and the like. Keep the brake cleaner from the caliper piston seals. I would use copious amounts of simple green, a soft nylon bush and plenty of clear, clean, water.

Howard

Howard

6. Mar 11, 2015 at 10:18 AM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    if the calipers are sticking or not moving freely and drag on the rotors they overheat the brakes and cause rotors to warp. warped rotors will cause the pads to grab and let go rapidly which "could" cause a shimmy in the wheel on one side.

as mentioned go back and redo the brakes from the beginning to recheck all fit and function. you already know you need at least one rotor replaced.

did you grease the brake pad slides and pins and make sure everything moves freely? its not just about slapping new pads on dry calipers and bleeding the brakes you know, you have to lube things too.

if the pads are new and just glazed (glossy) then they can be saved by laying a sheet of 180 grit sand paper on hard flat surface and sand the pads with even firm pressure in a circular motion just enough to remove all of the gloss until its a flat dull finish again. this should only be done with new pads not ones that have many miles on them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    PobreFresh

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4dr 4wd 3.4L auto
    Thanks for the tip, I will more than likely be doing them again in the next week or so. I drive in town mainly so I don't have a problem at lower speeds. But I will clean them when I do the brake job.

8. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:43 PM
    PobreFresh

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    2003 4dr 4wd 3.4L auto
    I did not grease anything, my brother and I did them. So if theyre sticking then that makes a lot if sense as to why my rotor would warp. That sounds like the logical reason to me, I just don't think I rapidly cooled them off by going through water or something. My pads are new, so it sounds like I could save them, if they are glazed over. I haven't put many miles on them since we did it.

Products Discussed in

To Top