1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

random starting with no key in ignition? HELP?!?!?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 11tbantz, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM
    11tbantz

11tbantz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    So a few minutes ago my brother came inside and informed me that my truck was running and had the head lights and tail lights on. I went outside to see what the hell he was talking about since it had been sitting for a few hours and was not running when i went out side about a half hour ago. Sure enough the engine was running, headlights were on, tail/brake lights were on, doors were locked(like i had left it), and the interior lights were not on. No key was in ignition and ignition was still in the off position. I put the key in and rolled it to on and off a few times which had no effect. i rolled the key to the start position which shut the engine off, but the head lights and tail lights stayed on. I started the engine again with the key and rolled it to the off position but the engine stayed running with all the exterior lights on too. i then unhooked the negative battery terminal first then the positive terminal, but the engine kept running and the lights stayed on. i rolled the key to the start position again so it would shut off, so now the truck is sitting with the battery unhooked.
    This thing has me baffled as to what the issue might be, so if anyone has any idea of what has happened or any idea of what i can do to fix the problem it would be extremely appreciated.
    2002 Tacoma TRD SR5 4x4 w/diff lock

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:32 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Wow the only thing I can think of is your brother is playing a joke on you(which I guess is not the case right?). It doesn't seem possible for a starter to just turn over just because and get the engine to just turn on. And to prevent it from starting you could just pull the fuel pump fuse/relay, no fuel=no start. I know older vehicles you could start and take out the key and they would keep running,but starting by themselves that I never heard of or seen.
    Post any further details or findings

3. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM
    Delta00

Delta00 ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
    Check Build
    I would like a video of it running without the key in.

4. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    Cohbsteq

Cohbsteq Hood Rat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    SL,UT
    Vehicle:
    02 Supercharged 4x4
    Pretty much stock with some crap welded to it.
    GHOSTS!!!!

5. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:38 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    OP: Your post is 19 days too early. Fail.

6. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:40 PM
    11tbantz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    its never done this before, at least to my knowledge anyway. I don't understand it at all. My brother is an idiot when it comes to vehicles so he's not messing with me.
    its currently sitting with the battery unhooked, but if it does it again once i hook the battery back up i'll record it and post the video.

7. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    If it were to start with the battery disconnected then I be real worried...... :tinfoilhat:

8. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM
    11tbantz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    i actually tried that, just to make sure i wasn't going crazy.

9. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    There's something way wrong for all this to happen at the same time. The most that's ever happened to mine was the starter contacts needed cleaning and if the starter got hung it would keep cranking with the key out of the ignition.

That makes no sense for it to run with no key in it though. Thats some major electrical gremlin right there

10. Mar 12, 2015 at 9:56 PM
    11tbantz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    I don't think it would have any effect on anything but im totally lost so all bets are off. i filled the tank up from half a tank with mid-grade (87 octane) gas yesterday but i normally run the normal grade 83.

11. Mar 12, 2015 at 11:00 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Just a guess... Your 87 octane is regular gasoline, and the 83 is 10% ethanol, which by mixing with 83 octane produces the equivalent of 87 octane. Cheap ass government subsidized garbage corn gas = big profits for big ag and big oil, and big campaign contributions keep rolling in for politicians.

Still 19 days too early.

12. Mar 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM
    11tbantz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    Maximum Overdrive? Really jackass? Let me guess; when you order a clutch you have to double check to make sure it has reverse don't you?

13. Mar 13, 2015 at 12:02 AM
    11tbantz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    well my apologies for not catching the obscure 80s reference. born in 93

14. Mar 13, 2015 at 12:33 AM
    11tbantz

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD SR5
    what movie is it exactly?

15. Mar 13, 2015 at 12:40 AM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Go to your GM dealer and tell them you need a ignition switch.
    That probably won't work. But you still need a ignition switch.

16. Mar 13, 2015 at 3:55 AM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Look for a previously installed remote start on your truck. Probably under the dash. If it's there it could be malfunctioning.

17. Mar 13, 2015 at 8:41 AM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Aw, you take all the fun out of it. We coulda milked this guy for all kinds of spooky shit.

18. Mar 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM
    Snowman

Snowman I have a problem for your solution…

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Somewhere in Canada
    Vehicle:
    Check out my build
    Stephen king man

On the other issue I have no idea unless there is a remote starter installed that is somehow being accidently engaged.

19. Mar 13, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    I see no one has thought of the possibility that truck might be a decepticon!

20. Mar 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM
    SmokinYoda

SmokinYoda Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Taco 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, K&M Intake, TRD Exhaust, 6" Lift, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's
    I have an aftermarket alarm system with remote start and my truck has done this to me a couple times. Although disarming the alarm and turning the key to on, and back off is sufficient to make it stop.

Products Discussed in

To Top