1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

speedometer needle wobbly

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Steven4815, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Mar 13, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    Steven4815

Steven4815 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Tempe, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    97 Tacoma 2wd DLX
    When i'm driving it seems like my speedo needle fluctuates within 5mph of how fast im going. for example, say i'm going 23 mph, my needle will wobble in-between 20 and 25. If i'm going faster it wobbles less. I feel like this is not normal. is there a way to tighten it?

2. Mar 13, 2015 at 12:34 PM
    stumpman

stumpman Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Dclb cement
    I would suggest unhook from speedometer head and get some lubricant in cable, has worked for me on older ones before.

3. Mar 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM
    donlogan

donlogan Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the same issue. It is most noticeable in the mornings after it's been sitting for a long time. I sometimes hear a weird noise too with the needle going bezerk but it goes away after a minute of driving.

Is this a simple procedure?

4. Mar 13, 2015 at 6:32 PM
    stumpman

stumpman Well-Known Member

Member:
    tn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Dclb cement
    Never done it on a tacoma, yes it was simple on the 66 Chevy truck, 81 jeep cj, unscrew odometer cable, lubricate,screw back on. The problem will definitely be being Able to get to it, sorry I cannot answer that, maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.

5. Mar 13, 2015 at 11:37 PM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
    My 95 does this too, remember it is cable driven so it's never gonna be perfect. I'm pretty sure they always flutter a bit, as there is a whole gearing and spring return system in the cluster and a little nylon gear in the transfer case (leaving a whole mess of room for slop in between). You wont gain much from pulling either side of the cable out, the speedo side has a little seal (could probably spray lube past it, but many spray in lubes act as a solvent and would wash away some of the grease that's in the cable sheath) near the plastic mating piece and the other side has a seal as well and there are no adjustments that can be made as far as taking up slop goes. You might be able to buy a new cable and cut some of the slop out, but it would be expensive to save an instrument that at its best is only fairly accurate (Toyota states it is + or - 10% from the factory and that can change with tire size).

Good question though, not many people ever ask anything about the cable driven speedos

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top