Notices

oil pan question, kinda.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
oil pan question, kinda.

hey guys i got a question. I am looking at replacing my oil pan gasket on my 99 rerunner 2.7, due to the slight leak that has develop. anyhow i crawled up under my truck today to take a gander to see what kind of job it will be, it doesn't look all that bad but, toward the rear of the oil pan, where it meets up with the tranny housing, there are two rear bolts that must come out. question 1: what is the best way to remove them because it doesn't even look like a wrench will fit in there and question 2: what is that gasket looking thing that is sandwiched underneath the two bolts and on top of the tranny housing? it kinda just looks like a piece foam and it's real brittle, it was breaking off as I was touching it with my finger???
Old 05-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
You will need to remove the stiffiner plates on the left and right sides of the tranny. Then that dust shield can be removed, allowing access to the bolts at the rear. You will also have to remove the front swaybar.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
oil pan question, kinda

are there any special instructions for removing/ reinstalling the stiffner plates and dust guard?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #4
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dually's Tacoma Gallery
nope. But i recommend "the right stuff" sealant over a pan gasket. Its an easy job, but easier with 2 people!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
You should be able to get a socket on them. the material is a cork gasket, similar to the gasket on the drain plug.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
dually, what is this "right stuff" you speak of? i went to autozone and the guy working there suggested the permatex black gasket maker and chris4x4, do you mean the dust quard is a cork gasket, or are you refering to something else?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
dually, what is this "right stuff" you speak of? i went to autozone and the guy working there suggested the permatex black gasket maker and chris4x4, do you mean the dust quard is a cork gasket, or are you refering to something else?
I was refering to the 2 bolts...but Im pretty sure Im wrong, so disregard.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
The dust shield that goes between the tranny and engine is metal. The sealant should be labeled with "the right stuff" right on the container. http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm
Old 05-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know it’s a little pricy but this is what Toyota uses
for oil pans and water pump’s.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Low and slow

dually's Tacoma Gallery
^ripoff
Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
thanks guys for all the great replies, i mean it. keep up the good work. hey beef taco, i don't know where you live at, but i think your dealer is r.y.n.o., i actually called me dealer earlier in the week, and the price here in God's country was 16 bucks for a tube of fipg.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #12
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
hey dually, if the dust shield is metal, than what is that gasket looking thing that I am seeing between the oil pan and tranny?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dually View Post
^ripoff
I said it was a little pricy I have been using it 9 years longer than you have been alive I would not use anything else just my opinion to each there own.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefTaco View Post
I said it was a little pricy I have been using it 9 years longer than you have been alive I would not use anything else just my opinion to each there own.

beeftaco, that stuff must be the balls and the cock if you have been using it for 33 years.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #15

Quote:

beeftaco, that stuff must be the balls and the cock if you have been using it for 33 years.
I have worked for Toyota for over 27 years and have used it fix a whole lot of other things than just cars even used it to seal some toilet plumbing once.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Question

dang, that stuff must be as good as duct tape! haha. since you work a toyota, i got a question for you, my truck has this bad vibration/shaking(it's like i'm driving 90 down a gravel road, however I will be on some of the smoothest roads in my town. I have already replace all kinds of crap, new front/rear shocks, had the tire rotated/balanced, ball joints and tie rod inspected, even had it aligned, all checked out o.k., so what could be causing this horrible ride. for what it's worth, it gets worse the faster i go, 55-65 is terrible.