Notices

6 speed transmission

Old 10-31-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Offroad Enthusiast
BrianPK is on a distinguished road
BrianPK's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BrianPK
6 speed transmission

has anyone thought about putting the 6 speed transmission into the 1st gen tacoma?

better yet, has it been done? i'd surely benefit from a 6th gear.

what would be involved?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianPK View Post
has anyone thought about putting the 6 speed transmission into the 1st gen tacoma?

better yet, has it been done? i'd surely benefit from a 6th gear.

what would be involved?
If you really meant "THE" as in the six speed out of the 4.0L then No you would not benefit from it. If you meant "A" six speed as in not the same one that is in my truck then maybe.

The factory Gen 2 6 speed is really geared all wrong. First is not quite a granny, but it's close. Fifth is direct, and 6th is a really weak overdrive.

I am still turning 2500RPM at 70 or 75 I forget which now, but I am pretty sure that the automatics are at 2100-2200 RPM at the same speed.

Love my truck, wouldn't trade it for the world, hate automatics, but I still think they could have geared the 6 speed better.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
If you really meant "THE" as in the six speed out of the 4.0L then No you would not benefit from it. If you meant "A" six speed as in not the same one that is in my truck then maybe.

The factory Gen 2 6 speed is really geared all wrong. First is not quite a granny, but it's close. Fifth is direct, and 6th is a really weak overdrive.

I am still turning 2500RPM at 70 or 75 I forget which now, but I am pretty sure that the automatics are at 2100-2200 RPM at the same speed.

Love my truck, wouldn't trade it for the world, hate automatics, but I still think they could have geared the 6 speed better.
Mav is right, I feel the same way. I would work on the engine before swapping a tranny i.e. turbo, exhaust, machining, maybe a chip if applicable. I gain 2-3 mpg when I swap my winter tires for my summer streets, huh, go figure ?