1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

trading tundra tires on tacoma with smaller set?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mchilins, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Mar 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM
    mchilins

mchilins [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Melissa
    Saratoga Springs
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma
    Hey, I'm new to the forum and am not sure if this question as been asked yet. I recently bought a 2002 Tacoma 4x4 4cyl with the previous owner's tundra wheels. I'm going to be driving it across the county and am trying to increase fuel economy and don't need these big babies. This is my first car I've bought and I only started learning about cars in the last year, so any help is appreciated. I'm going to be in Alaska and maybe should get an all-weather tire. Any suggestions?

2. Mar 30, 2015 at 12:07 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    well if he put big tires then the speedo is not reading correctly so its good you are going back to stock tires but get the right size stock tires for it so speed readings and fuel economy will be as they should.

3. Mar 30, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    Darryle

Darryle It is just a truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Darryle
    Weatherford, Texas
    I put Michelin LTX M/S 2s on my 1st Gen, 245/75R16, weight savings alone gave me a good bump in mpgs. Don't just look at size, pay attention to weight also.

4. Mar 30, 2015 at 3:43 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Lot of people ran blizzak tires in ak when i was there. I used studs, but only cause i have a prerunner. Wouldn't hurt though. Just talk to the locals if you are not from there. If you plan to stay there over the next winter, and decide to not run an all weather tire, save yourself some money in the long run and get a second set of wheels and tires. Every year they do change overs for the season and that can run 60+ for winter then summer too. Then again if you're running good tires i wouldn't stress too much. Also plan to get a block warmer, and maybe more depending on where you will be staying. Oh, and remember, 4 wheel drive doesn't mean 4 wheel stop. Every winter i saw some jackass in a four wheel drive something upside down. I had 2 wheel and NEVER wrecked... By the way, they use pea gravel instead of salt, expect busted head/fog/signal lights and your windshield too. Nature of Alaska. be safe, good luck, and enjoy. Alaska is an experience unto its own..

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015

Products Discussed in

To Top