1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Puddle under truck this morning need quick advice Please!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JohnnyDestiny, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Apr 2, 2015 at 8:51 PM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Easiest way to tell is smell the fluid. If its sweet smelling, its antifreeze. Another way is feel, if its slimy like oil probably powersteering. My engine oil had a reddish tint to it today when i changed it, but only cause i seafoamed it for a few hundred miles. If you're gonna drive it, turn the heater on full blast, and bring some coolant with you, you'll need it anyways. Also dont take your eyes off the temp gauge. If it starts to get too hot, pull over and shut her down. Im gonna join the band wagon and say water pump. Good luck. In today's day and age, there is so much info in the palm of your hand you should be able to do this with your phone as a helper...also,with the belts, spray a little dab of wd on the pulley where it contacts the belt. If the squealing stops, that means its the belt. But with 258k it stands a chance to be a pulley or tensioner bearing. One more thing. And this is the best advice you will EVER get from ANYONE. take lots of pics. We live in a digital age. You won't regret it...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:10 PM
    high n mighty

high n mighty Well versed in sarcasm

Member:
    Pickering Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 DC
    ^
    what he said and...

Make sure you know where your timing marks are and line them up before you take the old timing belt off

3. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:49 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2006 4runner sport 4.7L V8 (white)
    used to have - 99 2.4L I4 5 lug & 04 prerunner v6
    with the water pump squealing on you it may have seized up completely and stopped pumping water so I would not suggest you drive it anywhere but if the water pump pulley still turns freely and you want to take the risk, well this will decide if its ok.

fill the radiator with water (no need for antifreeze that will just leak out again)

then let the truck idle and fully warm up while sitting in the driveway as you watch for leaks.

if its not dripping then it may make it to your uncle's place, just carry an extra gallon of water in the truck "just in case" and you should be fine.
    if its just dripping slowly (a drop every few seconds) then you should still be fine but bring 3 or 4 gallon jugs of water and stop and top off the radiator level every 5-10 miles.

if you see a steady drip our of it then no don't drive it anywhere or you will run it out of water on the way.

but keep in mind you shouldnt be doing this with the intention of driving it home again. it will need to be fixed first and there is no certainty all the parts you need will be in stock so you should order them first then go to your uncle's place with all the parts already in hand.

you should get this list of parts for it plus the gaskets that go with them:

timing belt
    timing belt idler pulleys
    thermostat
    water pump
    all new fan belts
    a/c and p/s idler pulleys
    air filter
    spark plugs

and that should cover all your routine maint needs at the same time

the best place to get everything you ever need for your truck is at rockauto.com and I recommend buying the parts with the red hearts by them and whenever the option is available always get denso or asin brand parts, they are oem replacements and are better quality and work much better then aftermarket parts

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. Apr 2, 2015 at 9:53 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Although it's pretty obvious it's your water pump, one way to check for sure is to remove one drive belt at a time and run the truck for a few seconds after each belt is removed and listen for the noise. If all belts are removed then it's for sure the internals. Just a way to make sure it's not something the drive belts are turning. But again yours most def is the water pump. Just a note for others that venture in here with similar issues.

Also, if it does lock up on you, you'll know right off the bat. I was doin bout 65 on highway when mine locked up. Immediately bogged down and was trying to die. Got out and it was spewing all the coolant out super fast. Then I was screwed. had to be towed home. Learned my lesson quickly on letting maintenance go neglected too long..

5. Apr 2, 2015 at 10:02 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    plus it's barely squeaking. Sounds like it just started. Mine was rattling and grinding so loud it sounded like a belt squealing. So I'm sure it'll be safe. But in the event it does lock up, you will have to be towed. Your timing belt turns that pump so you wont be able to refill and keep going. If it's just leaking slowly then yeah that'd be fine as you keep a close eye on the temp and water level. I would make a few stops and let it cool enough to check it just to be safe but 50 miles ain't too bad to worry so much. I let mine go for a few months until it finally locked up. But another thing on mine, is it never leaked like it's supposed to. It just rattled and squealed with no signs of coolant anywhere. That was kinda odd..

6. Apr 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM
    JohnnyDestiny

JohnnyDestiny [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4 4x4
    Thanks for the great tips all. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures before taking it apart and will bring 5 gallons of water with me, stopping to check and top off along the way. Uncle is injured, can't bend down, etc, so trying to recruit my cousin to help. Hopefully still a go for tomorrow. If not, probably next weekend. I will be sure to update here when I get into it!

7. Apr 3, 2015 at 12:02 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    just a note, if you have never done this before take lots of pics and video (never know how good a video helps with stuff like how wires and hoses run in or around stuff) and take the time to mark and bag all parts nuts and bolts in order.

this is not a one day job (unless you've done it before) and if you have everything on hand when you start its still going to take the better part of two days unless your planning a long marathon push working into the night, so be prepared for "other" transportation to use in the mean time for beer runs, parts, tool runs, and food runs, whatever. these jobs always seam to have the need to run to get extra stuff you need to finish the job

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  8. Apr 3, 2015 at 12:05 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    my mechanic did this entire job in 3 hours total, Water pump, timing belt, all serpentine belts and thermostat.

Take your time yes but its by no means a 2 day project.

9. Apr 3, 2015 at 12:20 PM
    keakar

keakar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    karl
    louisiana
    Vehicle:
    I already corrected that as you were posting and a mechanic who has done it before with a shop full of power tools is a far cry from someone doing it for the first time and unsure of what needs to come off, come loose, and all that.

im assuming a low to moderate skill level and basic hand tools would take 3 times longer then a skilled mechanic with a shop plus regular guys take breaks more often

10. Apr 3, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    Styx586

Styx586 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terrance
    Lake Elsinore, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport, 2001 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    It's definitely not a 3 hour project for a regular guy. It took me about a week to complete, though at the time I had school in the morning and work in the afternoons. I'd put in about 1-2 hours each night for I think 5 days. so probably 8-10 hours total. Though I was working by myself... obviously an experienced mechanic will do it much faster.

11. Apr 3, 2015 at 3:29 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Yeah it took me about two days. Not total of course. Probly 8 hours or so too. Took my time and had to make a couple trips. Last minute trip after she was all buttoned up too. Was so excited and was ready to fill her up with coolant. Then when I took the caps off the jugs, every one had a pen sized hole in the seal!!:eek: looked like someone drained their old fluid back in with a hose and returned them to AutoZone and got their money back. Which I was the lucky one to pick out the only three jugs which had that. As I checked all of them on the shelf the second time around with the employee. I was furious! They were cool with letting me swap them out. But I live 15 miles from town so yeah I was pissed. Haha. Anyways... Thought I'd share that:D

Here's an AWESOME picture heavy writeup from another source. I looked it over a couple times before I did the job and didn't have to look back.
    http://www.nwtoys.com/forum/tech-article-submissions/1261-5vz-fe-timing-belt.html

But it's really not too bad. Imo, not necessary to take pics and vids to remember where stuff goes. I just laid it all out carefully. Most of its pretty obvious. Didn't have any trouble installing. Except the timing belt was a little difficult to get on. There's a specific way people say to install it but I ended up putting the top middle idler pulley on last with the belt over the top, wedged the pulley up and tightened it down. Instead of trying to force the belt over the pulley while it was tight. Hard to explain how I did it. Also be careful with the cams. They are super springy. When you line them up they'll want to spring out of place. Just be careful and turn it super slow and line up the marks before the belt goes on. After it's on make sure to rotate the system a couple revs to make sure everything still lines up. Also the belt has marks too and I think it never lines back up from what people were saying. Just as long as the timing is good the belt won't matter if the marks don't line back up;)

Hope this helps. Been a while since I did it and my memorys gettin jogged with all the disconcerting aspects of this job. ha.

12. Apr 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    I don't know if you have or maybe someone else here needs but I saw this on CL. Don't know the owner so you're on your own (and don't know if it's a good price or if he'll ship) Good luck!

reply ✉ ☎ reply
    x prohibited[?] Posted: 13 days ago
    ◀ prev next ▶ 03 Tacoma timing belt/water pump - $100 (New Brighton)

condition: new

I am selling a new water pump, timing belt and drive belts for a 2003 toyota Tacoma with the 3.4l engine. Everything is new. Traded the truck in a few months ago and forgot I had bought this stuff. If interested please call 724-544-9791 thanks.
    • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
    post id: 4942177113
    posted: 13 days ago
    updated: 13 days ago
    email to friend
    best of [?]

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

13. Apr 4, 2015 at 10:15 AM
    trx125

trx125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Crankshaft bolt needs to be torqued to 218 ft/lbs.

14. Apr 6, 2015 at 8:05 AM
    JohnnyDestiny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4 4x4
    Ok, gonna do this on 4/18. I will pack a bag in case it ends up going 2 days and will make sure to update thread again when done!

15. Apr 26, 2015 at 10:24 AM
    JohnnyDestiny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4 4x4
    Thanks for all your help guys, job is done! We did it in about 6 hours. We decided on the starter trick for the crank pulley bolt. Worked great. I bumped it without the breaker bar first so they could verify where to put the breaker bar. Then it came off with 2 small bumps of the key. The A/C compressor bracket wasn't as bad as I thought. We just moved the compressor out of the way. We went in through the wheel well with 2 or 3 extensions and a swivel head for a few of those bolts. The most time was spent removing the old water pump gasket. The old one just wouldn't come off, it was melted into the block. We used a small air wire brush and it still took a while because we had to remove all those studs to really get it clean. We had to go out to the dealership to a get a new bottom idler or tensioner pulley, not sure what it's called but mine was complete frozen. The bearings had melted together in the pulley, was gnarly looking. You can actually see it's not moving in the video I posted back on page 1. Tried to get the small bypass? hose that runs out of the water pump but they didn't have it in stock which sucks but I can do it later pretty easily. We tried Checker for it and they had no clue. They showed us the screen and they just don't even have it available. Tried a similar hose they sold us but it didn't really work, diameter was too big. Didn't have a big enough torque wrench for the crank bolt so pulled the radiator at the end and used air to tighten it down. Had 1 extra bolt when all was done. Anyone have a guess? Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

16. Apr 26, 2015 at 10:37 AM
    roehoe72

roehoe72 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 dc prerunner v6 trd
    Looks like the skid plate bolt. It is self tapping, hence the notch on the end. Im missing two, so ill gladly take it off your hands!

17. Apr 26, 2015 at 10:54 AM
    JohnnyDestiny

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    99 3.4 4x4
    lol, i'd like to put it back where it came from if possible :) No skid plate on my truck. Not sure why, i bought it used so who knows.

18. Apr 26, 2015 at 4:36 PM
    high n mighty

high n mighty Well versed in sarcasm

Member:
    Pickering Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 DC
    That's just an extra bolt, all vehicles have them

19. Apr 26, 2015 at 4:48 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Can't judge the size, radiator bolt maybe?

20. Apr 26, 2015 at 8:05 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    Looks like its from the thermostat housing. Regardless, if you have no service record, I recommend replacing timing belt, water pump the whole shebang. Also the jiggle valve should be installed downward. I've done with and without the radiator on, without it you have more space to work with and also you won't damage the fins. When ordering the kit, try to get it with the tensioner or else you will have to pull the AC compressor out of the way to remove and compress the tensioner. Unless your tensioner is still good, then you have to remove the AC compressor.

lol didn't realize the job was done. congratz.

Products Discussed in

To Top