1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are anyone elses Cooper Discover STT's noisy??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 043RZ, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Apr 7, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    043RZ

043RZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, OME Dakar leaf springs, BudBuilt Traction Bar, 15" American Racing Wheels, 5.29 Nitro Gears, 35" BFGs AT, Pioneer 200 Watt Stereo, 6x8 Pioneer speakers, Raised Front and Rear Diff Breathers, Deck Plate Mod, Red Interior Underglow, Red Exterior Underglow, Cool White LED Rock Lights,
    Have a question regarding mud terrain tires and the normality of there wear. Back when i bought my truck the previous owner was running Cooper Discover STT tires and they were pretty worn out and needed to be replaced. They were very noisy and rumbled alot. Because i didn't need such an aggressive tire as what was on there before, i wanted to go with the BFG All-Terrains, but sears said they were on back order for 3 months and talked me into buying another set of Cooper Discover STT's :facepalm:. I asked them why the old ones were so noisy and they said that the previous owner didn't rotate them enough. I bought there word and purchased them. When driving home i was pretty impressed with how quite they were and figured the key to keeping them quite was rotation, rotation, rotation. I currently have 40k miles on them and as they wore they have become progressively noisier. I still have 1/4 inch of tread left on them and have rotated them around every 5000 miles. Well today i went to my local wheel and tire shop and purchased a new set of BFG All-Terrain T/A K/Os and traded my Cooper Discover Stt's in. They were very noisy tires and on my daily driver... i couldn't take it anymore. The tech that gave me a price for trade in said that all 4 tires were slightly cupped and that's where the noise was coming from. I said i rotate them regularly and he said that its normal for mud terrain tires to cup as they wear in.

Do mud terrain tires (Cooper STT's) tend to cup and become noisier as they wear?

2. Apr 7, 2015 at 6:16 PM
    hetkind

hetkind Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Howard
    Johnson City
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab, white with Leer Cap
    bilstein set at 1.75, Racho 5000 rear with 4 leaf kit, floor mats, high lift jack, pull hook in hitch, bed rail corner braces, severe duty brake pads and devil horns on the grill....
    All mud tires are noisy and get noisier as they wear. Unless you are driving on dirt on a regular basis, these might not be the tires for you. I am thinking about removing my 1/2 worn Cooper AT3 and going to the Michelin LTX M/S due to highway noise issues.

Howard

3. Apr 7, 2015 at 6:25 PM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    Ideally have 2 sets of tires, mud terrains for wheeling and a set of AT's for the street or even just some regular all seasons for the street if they meet your needs.

4. Apr 8, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    6" Fabtech Lift, OME Dakar leaf springs, BudBuilt Traction Bar, 15" American Racing Wheels, 5.29 Nitro Gears, 35" BFGs AT, Pioneer 200 Watt Stereo, 6x8 Pioneer speakers, Raised Front and Rear Diff Breathers, Deck Plate Mod, Red Interior Underglow, Red Exterior Underglow, Cool White LED Rock Lights,
    Thats what id like to do at some point. I still have the stock tacoma rims. The only problem, thats another set of tires lol. I asked them if they have any used 315/75R16s laying around and at the moment no. Ill keep looking around but thats a hell of alot of money just on tires. Id run the 315s in the winter and off road and the 35 BFG in the summer.

But is it just the pattern of the tread on a mud tire that causes cupping? Even on a perfectly alighned front suspension and regular rotations?

5. Apr 8, 2015 at 7:40 AM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Watch your tire pressure. When you change tires from stock you'll need to determine the proper pressure. And it has nothing to do with what's on the door sticker, owners manual or side of tire. It deals with chalk and driving. Just Google it.

6. Apr 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5

Iv often wondered about this. Iv brought this subject up before awhile back and it was told to me to follow the door jam recommended tire pressure regardless of tire size. With the new tires i will be doing the chalk method with the tries at the door jam pressure and tweek it from there. I read the method and to me its wayyyyyy complicated. Not sure why you cant just set tire pressure, chalk, adjust, drive, rechalk and so on till you get the desired pattern:notsure:

7. Apr 11, 2015 at 6:16 AM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    The way you say you'd do it works. I never read the "method" you did. I've just used the chalk method for many years.

8. Apr 11, 2015 at 8:25 AM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    I had some 32/11.5 STT's on my old 02 Tacoma and after about 17k they got pretty loud. Real hummers especially on smooth pavement. I sold them and put on some Kelly TSR's and they are much quieter even after about 25k. Still use them on my current 2000. On a 99 Tacoma I used to have, I ran Interco Truxus in a 33/12.5 and those were even quieter than the STT's. Had a tougher time balancing them but rode much quitter for sure.

9. Apr 11, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    CD20H

CD20H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Double Cab TRD 4x4 Limited
    Magnuson Kompressor, OME lift kit, JBA Headers, junky Sony radio.
    I have STT's, they are great tires and will buy them again when these are past their due date. These are the BEST tires for Ice and snow. I have 4WD and use my truck as a truck and need the ultra aggressive tread. Do they hum going down the road, yep they do, but it is very tolerable. I have a 05 GTO for the smooth ride "quite" ride.

10. Apr 11, 2015 at 1:47 PM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    How many miles do you have on your set of coopers?

11. Apr 11, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    boostedka

boostedka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 6MT, 2004 4runner
    I agree totally with them being great in snow and ice. I took mine on quite a few ski trips and they were awesome. One trip to Breck was especially hairy and STT's were sic.
    My Interco Truxus also were great in the same conditions as well. Drove from Salida CO to Espanola NM ~200mi on roads completely covered in ice and snow and the Interco's were awesome.

12. Apr 11, 2015 at 1:55 PM
    Navar

Navar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Corona CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Washed it, Icon suspension, Icon UCA
    The STT Maxx are nice. Hardly no noise.

13. Apr 11, 2015 at 2:21 PM
    CD20H

CD20H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    I would say 15k miles. I expect them to get louder as time goes along. But I am OK with it.

14. Apr 11, 2015 at 6:20 PM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    15K... You ain't heard nothing yet lol

15. Apr 11, 2015 at 6:45 PM
    CD20H

CD20H Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    LOL. I am ok with it. This isn't my first set of aggressive tread tires on a truck. You should hear a set of Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar. They ROAR from day one. Maxxis Bighorns are not much better.

16. Apr 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    Ok so an update, yesterday i went a had my new BF Goodrich All Terrians mounted and balanced and what a difference it made:eek:!!!! I can actually hear myself think. The ride is smoother and my slight pull to the left is now gone! Its actually enjoyable to drive my truck on long distances now with out my hands tingleing and my ears ringing lol. Big improvment.

Anyway when i had them mounted, i asked them what psi they inflatted them and they said 35psi. I knew that was to much air so when i got home i looked at the tires and saw that the contact pattern wasent all they way accross the tire. I didnt have any chalk with me so i deflated them to 28 psi all the way around to see where that would put the tread. With a flashlight i could still see some daylight toward the outer most edge of the tire, but didnt want to deflat them anymore until i got some advice from you guys first. The door sticker says 26 psi up front and 29 psi in back, but these of course are not stock tire size. Any thoughts?

17. Apr 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    If you have a owners manual it has the pressures for 31x10.5s in it. That tire came stock on my Tacoma. It'll get you close.

18. Apr 24, 2015 at 9:24 AM
    043RZ

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Spring Grove, PA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma SR5
    Ok so iv been running my new tires for a little over a week now and i think i have the fronts at the right pressure (26PSI) with even tread pattern contact with the dust test. But im having difficulties with the rear tires. Right now i have the rear tires at 26psi, same as the front but its still not giving me full contact of the tire to the road. I know the rear is lighter then the front but how much farther can i drop the pressure and still be safe? Im thinking like 24-23 PSI to make the tread make full contact, but my gut tells me thats to low of a pressure to run safely. Any suggestions???

For the record my door sticker says to run 26psi in the front and 29psi in the back.

Products Discussed in

To Top