1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help! Need to pass my smog p0340

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by airmax233, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Apr 13, 2015 at 11:37 AM
    airmax233

airmax233 [OP] Always ready for the next adventure

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunnerTrd sport R.I.P 21 Tacoma Off road 4x4
    2.5 Kings w/resi Adj. Total Chaos Upper control arms. IG: Cement_runner23
    Help! So I have a P0340 code which appentley is the camshaft sensor. I need to fix this in order to pass my smog. First of all I don't know where it's at can't seem to find it Can someone point me to the right direction to locate the sensor. Is the sensor easy to swap like oxygen sensor? Last question is going with an aftermarket one okay? Or bite the bullet and go with an Oem for almost 200 from the stealership?

2. Apr 13, 2015 at 12:41 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    located behind the top plastic cover (needs to be removed). there is a wire that is connect to the front of the cover that need to be disconnected. That wire goes to the sensor. once taken off you'll need a 10mm socket if memory serve me correctly to remove the sensor. here is its location once the front cover is off.
    P.S. this is on a 3.4 liter if that is what you have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  3. Apr 13, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    airmax233

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Sweet thanks sir! Yes, I have a 00 4Runner which has the same 3.4 engine. It has 270,000 miles do you think I should go with an after market part or an Oem? And in order to get to the cam shaft sensor I need to drain coolant and remove top radiator hose? Correct?

4. Apr 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    I'm a OE type guy so I would go with OE, it has lasted up to that mileage. on removal, what I did was pull back the top hose clamp as far as I could without removing the hose. Then pull back the cover just enough to use a stubby ratchet to remove the sensor. A little fiddling around but it can be done. Unless you haven't done a coolant change then yes drain coolant, remove top hose and plastic cover and proceed to removing the sensor. hope this helps.

5. Apr 13, 2015 at 2:54 PM
    airmax233

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:

I recently replaced my radiator with an Oem plus new hoses and coolant. I'd hate to drain the red coolant and buy some new one, so I will definitely try what you did :cheers: How much did you pay for your cam sensor?

6. Apr 24, 2015 at 10:09 AM
    airmax233

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    Okay I finished replacing the cam shaft sensor and erased the codes :whot: Now my question is how long do I have to wait/drive my truck before I can take it in for smog check? :notsure:

Btw there is no way in changing the cam sensor without removing the timing belt cover.

image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top