Diff locker

Old 04-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
Elijah is on a distinguished road
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
Diff locker

Does the stock 2.7l have a diff lock
Old 04-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Very very few 2.7 manual trucks came with a locker. So general no.
If you are wondering if you have one, look for a box sticking off the rear diff housing and a "rr diff lock" button left of the steering wheel.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #3
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
There is a light switch for some kc lights that are on my front bumper that is located where the button is supposed to be
Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I would bet my house that you dont have one. They are incredibly rare on the 2.7 and i've only seen two examples on all of the internet. (and I've seen the entire internet)
Old 04-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
The 3rd member would look like this:

There is a noticeable actuator on the side.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
Would a stock locker off another tacoma be able to Fit my truck without doing any other mods to it
Old 04-14-2015, 06:56 PM   #7

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Would a stock locker off another tacoma be able to Fit my truck without doing any other mods to it
Would need a new an entire rear end and new wiring for the switch. Not super easy.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #8
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
Could I make the one that's already on there lock
Old 04-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Could I make the one that's already on there lock
No
But if you search here on the forum there is a ton of info on the conversion process.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #11
devinzz1 will become famous soon enough
Name: devin
devinzz1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
No
But if you search here on the forum there is a ton of info on the conversion process.
pretty sure hes asking if he can add a locker into his stock axle. In That case yes theres many options
Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #12
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
ARB.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #13

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Yes OP, an aftermarket locker can be added.

"make the one that's already on there lock" isn't super clear about adding a locker.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #14
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
Are there any automatic lockers I could put in that anyone knows of
Old 04-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #15
Quote:
Are there any automatic lockers I could put in that anyone knows of
Detroit, spartan, aussi, lokka, powertrax lock-rite and no slip, maybe more. Ive personally got the no-slip and love it.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #16
Elijah's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #17

Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
I have a truetrac, which isn't a "locker" per-say but I love it.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #18
TXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud ofTXPRO4X4 has much to be proud of

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinzz1 View Post
Detroit, spartan, aussi, lokka, powertrax lock-rite and no slip, maybe more. Ive personally got the no-slip and love it.
What is an automatic locker? Is that positraction like the old El Caminos used to have
Old 04-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPRO4X4 View Post
What is an automatic locker? Is that positraction like the old El Caminos used to have
Most are "lunchbox" style lockers where there is a mechanical lock between a set of flat facing gears when a certain amount of power is applied. When not on the gas the gears are able to skip teeth allowing one wheel to spin a different speed than the other (this gives the click click click noise most have) Also the truetrac is a good option as it has good road manners and seems to transfer quite a bit of torque even when a wheel has little traction.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #20
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
^ it means it locks up when under throttle load...
and releases when there is no throttle load.

the release allows for differentiation
when maneuvering thru turns.

release commonly produces a ratcheting/clicking noise
as the vehicle goes around a sharp turn.

Occasionally it will bind or not release quickly enough
and can surprise the driver with a loud bang and chassis jerk.

Nothing is likely broken...
but occasionally it will sound as if something did !? Lol

If the road surface is oily wet...
the rig could swap ends pushing hard thru a turn...
if yer lousy at throttle control.