1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tacoma Owner!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by eternus, May 14, 2009.

1. May 14, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    eternus

eternus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 MGM DCSB TRD OffRoad
    Finally I'm authorized to be here, but I have some buyer's remorse. I picked up a 1999 Toyota Tacoma I4 2.7l 4x4 today for $7,000!

It's pretty nice, has a line x bed cover, brush guard (no name visible) and a pair of PIAA fog lights mounted. The are 113k miles on the truck and it rides pretty much like a truck. It's mostly awesome but...

There is a slight grind going into 4th gear which a mechanic has indicated isn't bad and that it would cost $1,000+ to fix.

There are a some dings on the hood that roll then off to the side and ding the fender a bit as well. Paint is gone and metal is exposed, the year old injury hasn't rusted at all but some day... (I'll add a pic tomorrow when the sun is up.)

The Airbag light stays on... does that mean one doesn't work properly?

The entire paint job has some little air bubble/ring worm thing going on which the owner said is apparently common on 1999 trucks.

I realize that I got it for $7,000 and it runs great otherwise so I had decided each one was acceptable, but now that its in my driveway I fear that the sum of the injuries might be too much.

Hopefully the owner will buy it back as I'm not sure my churning stomach wants to keep it. Is this just me having buyers remorse and any of these issues isn't too much to worry about? I'm really only deeply concerned about the hood/fender and the 4th gear... are those scary issues?

2. May 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    stikkimikki87

stikkimikki87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    d44, 37s, all 4 wheels turn!
    uhh...everything? lol
    man my truck has done the whole 4th gear grinding thing for along time now, and if im WOT i usually cant put it in 4th. Like i get on it in 2nd and try to go to 4th, nope not happening, gotta put it in 3rd then 4th for the synchros. Seems to be a common thing, if it doesnt resist 4th then its probably fine, if its hard to put it in 4th then maybe the synchro is going out. I still wouldnt be too worried since you generally dont shift hard into 4th gear the synchro should still last since its not being abused all the time. I have given my truck hell and tranny is good, as good as its ever been. Probably wanna get it repainted if you are gonna keep it, asap. Seems like a descent buy to me...i say keep it and get it painted. Skip the tranny issue, its probably fine.

One word of advice.... alot of times transmission rebuilds end up being shitty, worse than what you had before. You would probably have better luck swapping in a used tranny from a junkyard/craigslist or something. Just a thought...

3. May 14, 2009 at 9:17 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Awesome feedback, he had also been told that it as fine and I just stressed it as I drove home.

It doesn't resist changing gears at all and just doesn't feel right. I guess I want it to drive like its brand new.

Anyone had their truck repainted professionally, should I just pay Maaco 300 or will I regret that later?

4. May 14, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    stikkimikki87

stikkimikki87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pensacola FL
    Vehicle:
    d44, 37s, all 4 wheels turn!
    uhh...everything? lol
    yea mine doesnt it do it all the time, but id say 1/3 times it grinds. That being said, i dont know if it started when i put the Amsoil in there or not... you could try changing the tranny fluid and see what happens if you are feeling froggy.

5. May 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM
    devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Loudon, Tn
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4X4, 5 spd, 2.7 ltr
    Deck plate mod, intake silencer removed, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, debadged, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75R16. Flowmaster knock-off muffler!
    any pix yet?

6. May 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Here are some snaps from my phone...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the damage, the rock hit here...
    [​IMG]

... and rolled off here ...
    [​IMG]

All in all, she's really pretty and I love the peppy I4.

My mod list will be short and cheap for a while, wife is still recovering from the purchase (and then paying tax.)

- Wheels are kinda oxidized and icky, going to look into repainting.
    - Tinting, its pretty sunny here and that extra shade will be nice.
    - Trailer hitch/towing package

Putting a rototiller into the back of it today helped me realize just how much lift the truck has by itself. I won't be adding a lift for while. ;)

7. May 15, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    eternus

Member:
    Longmont, CO
    Vehicle:
    Oh and after motoring around town today doing my truck errands I realize that the 4th gear issue is really a non-issue, the paint isn't flaking or pealing and isn't really an issue, and the only troubling thing is the hood/fender... but thats an excuse for putting the 2001+ style grill that I like so much right?

Products Discussed in

To Top