Notices

Need Help with pan removal.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Need Help with pan removal.

hey guys. i tried to replace my oil pan gasket today. there is just one problem. once you get all the bolts out, how do you actually seperate the pan from the bottom of the block. i got to aggravated at it, so i just put the bolts back and quit. but come next oil change I want to know how to get that motha off. any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
hey guys. i tried to replace my oil pan gasket today. there is just one problem. once you get all the bolts out, how do you actually seperate the pan from the bottom of the block. i got to aggravated at it, so i just put the bolts back and quit. but come next oil change I want to know how to get that motha off. any suggestions?
if its stuck on with the old gasket.......just get a small pry bar or flat tip screwdriver and GENTLY,VERY EASILY pry out between the block and the pan. when it starts to drop, most of the time you can just pull and it'll separate the rest of the way.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
get a rubber mallet and hit it soft but firm a coupple of times around it and then get a pry bar and do like tacomaman said
Old 05-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Banned
allupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
allupinsydeyou's Tacoma Gallery
stick with the flathead... not a pry bar! too much torque on the thin pan with a pry bar. a flathead is sufficient and is small enough to get in the tight spaces. i am definitely 100% supporting what tacomaman said!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
i was going to try a screwdriver and pry on it. but i was kind of hesitant b/c i have heard so many people say that it might ruin the lip of the pan, which would be bad news. i wanted to consult with the professionals before i go any further. now that i got good info., at my next oil change i will definitely replace. thanks guys.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
Banned
allupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of lightallupinsydeyou is a glorious beacon of light
Marines:
allupinsydeyou's Tacoma Gallery
no prob gunny.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #7
CenTex Honky
drifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrifter379 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drifter379's Tacoma Gallery
Tie a chain around it and the other end to a tree and then put it in reverse and slam on the gas pedal. If it dosent come off that way I dont kknow what to tell you. Oh yeah before any one gets upset with my advice be sure to use a torque wrench.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter379 View Post
Tie a chain around it and the other end to a tree and then put it in reverse and slam on the gas pedal. If it dosent come off that way I dont kknow what to tell you. Oh yeah before any one gets upset with my advice be sure to use a torque wrench.
damn, ya'll texans know how to get a job done.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Maximos Tacos is on a distinguished road
Army: A 3/43 14T Patriot Missile Crew Member
Name: Maximo
Maximos Tacos's Tacoma Gallery
It's not removing the oil pan from the block as much as removing the pan from underneath all together. I'm reading my manual and it says that you have to remove front steering stabilizer, exhaust from manifold, remove cross member, ac compressor and alternator. Looks like an all day job.