Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need your input

Old 05-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Need your input

Been thinking about getting a DC for a while, like the extra room. I currently have a 2002 Extended Cab 4x4 TRD Auto w/34k, I am the second owner. It's a very nice truck, no issues whatsoever.

Saw this today on Carmax in ABQ-

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/...7-4a8a9505b318

I know it's a Prerunner, but it has everything mine has except 4wd, and has even lower miles than mine, and TRD. I rarely use 4wd in my truck, it's my daily driver. I use my Jeep for offroading. Whadayathink? Worth doing? Anyone ever trade a 4x4 for a Prerunner and didn't look back?

Theirs:

Mine:

Edit: something is fishy...if the gold truck is a TRD, shouldn't there be a locking diff switch just to the left of the steering column? It just looks like a blank plastic tab...hmmm...did someone stickerize the Prerunner into a TRD?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
the TRD dcab should have the rear locker...

if it has the locker, than yah, its worth it...

if you don't really use the 4wd on the Taco, then trading it in for more room would be worth it...
Old 05-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Your crazy! your truck is beautiful!
Old 05-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #6
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
If it's a 6-cylinder PreRunner with the factory TRD Off Road Package it should have the e-locker (and there should be a switch on the dash for it).

The e-lockers were not included on TRD 4-cylinder automatics. If I saw the TRD badges and saw no locker switch on the dash, I'd have assumed it was a 4-cylinder.

I suggest you investigate further.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #7
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD4x4858 View Post
Your crazy! your truck is beautiful!
I agree.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate all your input. This one bears investigation, however, before I would do anything. Photo below shows the place where the locking diff switch would normally go, but I don't see anything there, so I'm not even sure it really is a TRD at this point.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor taco View Post
Do it if u rarely use 4wd and u need the extra room
x2!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking at the picture i highly doubt its a TRD. If you want to be 100% go look under the truck to see if there is an E locker on the rear diff.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
VanCity Taco.
ilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to beholdilg is a splendid one to behold

ilg's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your truck. 4 doors are nice, but the white in that year just looks so good. You will probably will miss the 4 wheel drive once you don't have it anymore.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Tough call, but I think if it was me I'd stick with the ex cab. You know exactly what you have, a low mileage truck with no issues, and a real nice one at that. You didn't say why you wanted the 4 door. If it's because you have a family and need to use the back seat, then I'd look into weather someone just stuck a sticker on the pre-runner. Just my opinion, you can't be too careful getting rid of your 2002.