Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Engine light always on! WTF?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
jeff6001 is on a distinguished road
jeff6001's Tacoma Gallery
Engine light always on! WTF?

I have a problem with my engine light always on. A few months ago it came on and i had it checked out and the guys from autozone said it was my fuel cap fom not being vented, so i bought one. they reset it and I went on my way. It turned on again a few days later and i reset it myself. then it turned on again and I took it to a toyota dealership to run their test and they said the same problem. they said it wasn't their vented gas cap, it was a cheap one. So I bought their's. Well its been several months and I keep resetting it. Has anybody else had this problem?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
What code are you getting?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
i don't know? The guys checking it tell me thats what it is. I'll check tomorrow and i'll post it then.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
This may not apply to 1st gen tacos but just in case... Are you tightening the gas cap until it clicks once or are you tightening it until it clicks numerous times. I used to tighten my gas cap until it clicked once. Then I started getting the check engine light on occassion. I was told to tighten it until it clicks several times. I now turn it until it clicks about 6 times. The light has never come on since since. That was over a year ago.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
I turn it more then a just a couple of times. The guys say thats what i need to do. But I do. Just don't know?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Ask the guy for the actual codes that are being thrown, then post them here.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Ok i finally got the codes.
p0441, p0440, and p0446. The guy at autozone said they were emissions codes. What do they mean???
Old 05-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff6001 View Post
Ok i finally got the codes.
p0441, p0440, and p0446. The guy at autozone said they were emissions codes. What do they mean???
Use www.google.com and search. You'll find plenty of information all over the internet about the codes.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #9
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
P0440 = Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction (posible fuel cap [gas cap] loose/off)

P0441 = Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

P0446 = Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Malfunction

Not thinkin cap at this point. Really? Dealer can't narrow it down based on the codes? Check all the lines going to and from the tank. Maybe the return line has some issue or something under the hood is loose or got unplugged somehow. Check lines going to and from charcoal canister thing.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance: LAZY DIVISION
AUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant futureAUDITECH has a brilliant future
AUDITECH's Tacoma Gallery
do you fill up to the max i mean clicking the nozzle a couple of times when you fill up. Sounds like you got something pluged up or need a new evap canister
Old 05-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I fill to brim regularly & have supposed shitty locking gas cap & have never had issue.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tankota.net/repair/Repair...e/cip0441p.pdf

I think you need a genuine Toyota gas cap. A bad cap can trigger all of those codes.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
http://www.tankota.net/repair/Repair...e/cip0441p.pdf

I think you need a genuine Toyota gas cap. A bad cap can trigger all of those codes.
In the 1st post he said he had whatever cap & got codes then bought the Toyota one while at the dealer & is still getting the codes. Another genuine toyota one probably not gonna make a difference.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #15
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
In the 1st post he said he had whatever cap & got codes then bought the Toyota one while at the dealer & is still getting the codes. Another genuine toyota one probably not gonna make a difference.
Missed that part. Thanks. ....................
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
definitely the canister. I was throwing the same codes, and mine was cracked.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
My check engine light is getting the same problem. It doesn't throw it everytime the truck is started though. The code that the scan gauge gives me is P0000. I've been told this basically means the ECU doesn't know what is wrong so I've just been clearing the codes. I feel like if I take it to a toyota dealership they are gonna have their fingers up their asses.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #18

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
My check engine light is getting the same problem. It doesn't throw it everytime the truck is started though. The code that the scan gauge gives me is P0000. I've been told this basically means the ECU doesn't know what is wrong so I've just been clearing the codes. I feel like if I take it to a toyota dealership they are gonna have their fingers up their asses.

Is it under warranty still?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by socolax91 View Post
I feel like if I take it to a toyota dealership they are gonna have their fingers up their asses.
I would tend to think they would use whole fist nowadays, fingers sounds like an 80s thing.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Is it under warranty still?
Umm... I'll have to ask my dad. He keeps track of that stuff.

Is it any reason to stop driving the truck? I feel like if it was a really bad issue that the scan gauge would know what it is.