Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Door check stop needs replacing

Old 05-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
notslow is on a distinguished road
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
Door check stop needs replacing

Hi Guys,
So my driver's side door won't stay open. I finally got around to taking the door check thingy out and it is all bent and worn out. The previous owner must have been really rough swinging the door open. Anybody know the best place to get one? How much they run?

Will
Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
In case anyone else needs to know. The part number for the driver's side is 68620-04010 and it cost around 70.00 .
I am hoping I can find a used one, but it's almost impossible to find a tacoma being parted out.

Will
Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
ViperR is on a distinguished road
ViperR's Tacoma Gallery
I'd still hit a bone yard. There are lots of toyotas that use the same parts in various models close to your year. I did this with my '95.5 Taco and used alot of parts from Camrys, Celicas, Corrolas, etc.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
I'll check it out online and see if any of them show the same part. If so, I'll know what to look for.

Thanks, Will
Old 06-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I checked out some other toyotas. They all seem to have the same part of the door check that wears out the part that is inside the door that the metal arm slides in), the arm and bracket that mount to the jam are different though. I got one off of a Camry and cut the pin that holds the assembly together and switched the arm. Put a new roll pin in place of the pin I cut off and it's as good as new. If anyone else needs help with this feel free to message me.

Regards, Will
Old 04-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #6
Artax
ezatnova is on a distinguished road
ezatnova's Tacoma Gallery
I realize this thread is old, but it's the only related one I can find.

My checks (especially driver) are worn out too. Very annoying, as the door won't even stay open on flat ground. Before spending $140, I figured I'd try a free fix. I put two part epoxy on the two "bumps" of the check, to try and build it back up. Crossing my fingers that it will work, but I have my doubts. I wasn't about to install it back in last night and risk epoxying my door shut so I'll mess with it tonight. I'll report back as to whether it seemed to work or not. I can't be the only one with this issue, given the age of these trucks now.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
I figured I'd try a free fix. I put two part epoxy on the two "bumps" of the check, to try and build it back up. Crossing my fingers that it will work, but I have my doubts.
Did it work??
Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
coupla' options

Used

New/oem Aft. Mkt.

read that driver and passenger are the same #, 95-04
if that's correct..? swap the catch of each door
and maybe warn the passenger
Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Artax
Well, the first epoxy fix was a failure. It was clear two part epoxy. After it dried, the first time I tried the mechnism, it sheered the epoxy right off the plastic of the check. I then tried a "JB weld" type of epoxy. Let this dry for a couple of days. It was then too much build up for the mechanism to be able to clear the new humps, so I ground them down a bit. It now seems to work decently. If I was operating at 5% before, I'd say it now works at 60-75% of what a new one would. Hopefully it holds up well. I took out the passenger side and applied the JB weld last night, so I'll probably have to grind it a bit tonight.

As far as the R and L being identical.... I can't attest to that, but I do know that they are stamped "R" and "L".
Old 05-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
Shawster is on a distinguished road
Shawster's Tacoma Gallery
how do you remove it

Hey guys,

Mine are both worn as well. Before I dive in on this, what is involved to remove them? Do you need to remove the interior door panel or can you access everything from the jamb?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
Artax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawster View Post
Hey guys,

Mine are both worn as well. Before I dive in on this, what is involved to remove them? Do you need to remove the interior door panel or can you access everything from the jamb?
It's easy..takes 5 minutes (maybe 10 the first time if you've never taken the door panel off).

Take off door panel
Take off plastic covers on the door check...one from inside door jam/hinge (this is what covers the two nuts...10mm I think) and one on the larger bolt on the body side.
Remove the two nuts and one bolt
Slide it out through the open door area where the panel was.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I just called local dealer for a price. $103, anal lube not included. Getting online hits for ~$70.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #13
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I just called local dealer for a price. $103, anal lube not included. Getting online hits for ~$70.
I have two of them for first gen.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
I have two of them for first gen.
And...?
Old 07-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
OldAsShit
Andy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndy.G is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
And...?
25.00 each plus 5.00 shipping.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:55 PM   #16

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy.G View Post
25.00 each plus 5.00 shipping.
Are they new or used?
Old 07-05-2014, 01:40 AM   #17
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
Andy's are used.

I have a passenger door side one. Mine is used as well.

Same price if anyone is interested.

Later

KO
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #18
OldAsShit

Andy.G's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
Andy's are used.

I have a passenger door side one. Mine is used as well.

Same price if anyone is interested.

Later

KO
Thanks Kirk for filling in the line for me. I got to remember to be more specific.haha
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #19
Yarddog is on a distinguished road
Name: Vance
Yarddog's Tacoma Gallery
When using epoxy or JB Weld, it's a good idea to not only thoroughly clean the area being epoxied, but also give the area some 'tooth' by sanding with coarse grit sandpaper or a grinder of some sort...for smaller pieces, I use a Dremel tool with a cut-off blade to run over the surface...if you don't give the surface some tooth, of course the adhesive will fail. A little tip here for y'all...
Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #20
carma is on a distinguished road
carma's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking for a door check for a 2009 Tacoma - driver's side. thanks.