Notices

how to paint the wheels black

Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
how to paint the wheels black

can any of you guys point me in the right direction on painting my stock alloys black. i see pics on here all the time with people that have done it and i think it looks bada$$.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i just took mine off the truck, washed them with soap/water and let them dry over night while it was warm.
rubbed the face down with acetone, let it dry and spray painted them flat black. No primer, no primer etcher or anything..been holding up great ever since, and that was like 4 years now
Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
i just took mine off the truck, washed them with soap/water and let them dry over night while it was warm.
rubbed the face down with acetone, let it dry and spray painted them flat black. No primer, no primer etcher or anything..been holding up great ever since, and that was like 4 years now
awesome..sounds simple enough. i have seen other posts where people sanded, ethced, acetone, sanded, washed, primed, then 3x paint.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i just washed...dried...painted...2 coats

mine held up for a couple years no problems...wheeling and street use...then they got sold so someone could salvage their expensive wheels off their totalled tacoma...and i put ivans on
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
i just washed n painted with high temp grill paint it was windy so i just did 1 coat. if you dont like it, strip it and start over.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #6
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
what brand/type of paint have ya'll been using?
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #8
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
ok, thanks guys.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
krylon bbq and stove is the name on the one i used
Old 05-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
SMO
SaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedSaltySteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
SaltySteve's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikbean562 View Post
if you dont like it, strip it and start over.
Other than cost that's probably the best part about doing this. You don't like it, do it over and don't stress.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
jeeters79 is on a distinguished road

jeeters79's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently doing this too. Good scrub, dried, sanded them down and wiped clean with alchohol. I went with the Duplicolor sandable primer first to take out some small scratches. I decided to use the duplicolor wheel paint (a nice matte black) I'll post up pics as soon as I get it done tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #12

Painting done! waiting for new lugnuts before they go on the truck..
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The Duplicolor Wheel paint has a nice metallic flake in it, nice touch.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
I used Rustoleums Wheel paint. It says flat black buts it satin.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Robbsolid's Tacoma Gallery
ohhh man, that looks good
Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
Danzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Danzer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycumulus View Post
How'd you do the center caps? Just taped it off or somethin else..?
Once you pull the cap off you can see the logo has 3 little clips and I just pushed them through. It popped out real easy. I also took off all the wheels and painted the caps seperately. I used Krylon Fusion Satin on the center caps. The logo is done with same red caliper paint I did the calipers with.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeters79 View Post
Painting done! waiting for new lugnuts before they go on the truck..
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The Duplicolor Wheel paint has a nice metallic flake in it, nice touch.
jeeters, your wheels look sick, i am going to try your recipe on mine, my wheels are indentical to yours. what grit sandpaper did you use? also, can you take a pic. of the lugnuts you took off, i need to find some stock lugnuts, i have the same kind of wheels that you have(it looks like you have the 15x7) i may be interested in buying your old ones if you would like to sell them. i bought some of ebay tues., they were delivered today, the only thing is the flange/washer part of the nut does not fit in the recess that is in the wheel.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #18
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
they look like they have the hammered finish to them..looks good thou!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #19
22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold22b22 is a splendid one to behold

22b22's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 05-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #20

Ah... lugnuts, yes. Right now my truck has some bare aluminum, not tacoma wheels. They might be stock off something older and Toyota; they have toyota center caps on them. ANYWAYS they use the more standard angled in lugnut that you'd see on steel wheels. These alloys (that I just bought last weekend) need that flange/washer style. The guy I bought them from forgot to bring them with, but is shipping them to me through his work. Seeing that the cheapest I could find to buy a set is $52, I'm going to wait. So hard to wait with the wheels done now, but I'm too poor to write off $52.
So basically, I need these

But I have these on my truck

I used 1000 wet and green scotch brite pads to rought em up. And a lot of pent up frustration