Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate cables

Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Nick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nick
Nick_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate cables

My passenger side tailgate cable snapped earlier today, just ordered two new ones so the driver side won't give out too.

It seems fairly simple, you just unhook the part of the cable attached to the gate and unscrew the top part, is that correct?

Any tips?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
yep, its that simple. my passenger side cable went out a couple of months ago and i replaced both sides at the same time for the same reason as you.

i did it in the parking lot at school in like 10 minutes.

screw the top part on first, then hook the other end up to the tailgate. makes it a little easier because if you did it the oother way, you'd have to support the tailgate as you are screwing it in.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Nick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of lightNick_Taco is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Nick
Nick_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I went out today to take off the broken cable (new ones come tomorrow) and the screw wont even move.

I've tried everything, nothing seems to be working
Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #4
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
So even if the tailgate didn't suck & bend then there'd be this anyway. JFGR8(Just fuckin great) Kinda makes reinforcing the tailgate pointless unless using the oldschool flat folding metal bars like used to come on older ones. Hooray for more underengineered nonsense!
Old 05-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
So even if the tailgate didn't suck & bend then there'd be this anyway. JFGR8(Just fuckin great) Kinda makes reinforcing the tailgate pointless unless using the oldschool flat folding metal bars like used to come on older ones. Hooray for more underengineered nonsense!
This is in the first gen forum. Our tailgates don't bend
Old 05-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I come from 1st gen hilux where nothing bent nor did it have cables to break or frames that rusted through in less than 30 yrs Guess we both have less quality but more features.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
saltymike is on a distinguished road
saltymike's Tacoma Gallery
I'm having the same problem. did you find a good way to remove the old screw besides flathead and a hammer?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
come on fhqwhgads

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltymike View Post
I'm having the same problem. did you find a good way to remove the old screw besides flathead and a hammer?
is the screw head stripped or is it stuck?

if its stripped, use a grinder to cut notches in the head so it has two flat sides (looks kinda like this (_))

if its seized, spray some anti seize on it (PB, liquid wrench, etc) and let it sit.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
saltymike is on a distinguished road
saltymike's Tacoma Gallery
luckily it's not striped it's just seized. i'll try to get some spray for it. wish pb meant peanut butter cause i've got some of that.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltymike View Post
I just did mine Sunday... I used an impact driver and would not budge it. I put a air impact on it.. still nothing.. I sprayed it down with IN-Force on both sides (taking the tail light out) still nothing... It was about to strip the head of the screw... So I got out my handheld torch. Its a bottle of Map gas with a torch handle on it.. Headed the bolt up from the tail light side... the bolt unscrewed by hand then...
Old 12-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
by the "In- Force" is kinda like PB Blaster, only better.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
mixaro is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
mixaro's Tacoma Gallery
did mine a few months back i just used a #3 phillips bit and my cordless impact gun and the thing just popped out. i would think that if you didn't have an impact, a good drill would work.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:00 PM   #13
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
those bolts are in there pretty tight, not seized per se...

when i tore my truck apart to build the rear end, i used those torx drill bit heads with the socket and a breaker bar for the initial break-loose...