Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

First time Tacoma AND Toyota owner here with a few questions

Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
Thor is on a distinguished road
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
First time Tacoma AND Toyota owner here with a few questions

Hi 1st Gen-ers. I posted this in the Newbie forum, but thought I'd put it here since it's specific.

I just bought my very first Toyota of any kind, and therefore my first Toyota Truck. It's nothing fancy, but I wanted something to knock around in on weekends, do some light hauling and work around the house, and just generally have a little fun.

It's a 1999 SR5 Tacoma 4WD with the 3.4L and std tranny. It's got well over 100K miles on it, but I think I got a pretty good deal on it. I only have one pic so far, and I took it with my blackberry kind of late yesterday, so it's not great, but there it is anyway. I'm going to take off the bed cap, btw.

So if any of you can point me to some good reading and resource material on my particular year/model/engine/tranny, I'd sure appreciate it. Also, if there are any tips on things to look for, trouble spots, service issues, or hidden gems, I'd love to hear those.

Finally, what do you call this cab type? It's the one with the jumper seats behind the front seats but no back doors or partially opening side doors.

TIA all!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i think on the first gens its called an xtra cab, on my 2nd gen they call it an access cab. nice truck and welcome to TW
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
tacoma 4 life
savoy is a jewel in the roughsavoy is a jewel in the roughsavoy is a jewel in the rough

Navy: Boatswain
Name: Josh
savoy's Tacoma Gallery
i have pretty much the same truck but with a auto tranny

great truck ....but some of us 99 owners have been having trouble with the truck shaking at highway speeds around 65mph

other then that ...oh and the square cup holders

i got nothing....shes a great truck enjoy
Old 05-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
tacoma 4 life
savoy is a jewel in the roughsavoy is a jewel in the roughsavoy is a jewel in the rough

Navy: Boatswain
Name: Josh
savoy's Tacoma Gallery
heres the link to the shaking posts

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ed-advice.html
Old 05-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
also watch out for weak rear leaf springs....since your truck has a campershell(extra weight) that may be a little on the sagging side.....i hope not.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
1999 Taco TRD xtracab 3.4 V6 4x4
1999tacotrd is on a distinguished road
1999tacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
also watch out for weak rear leaf springs....since your truck has a campershell(extra weight) that may be a little on the sagging side.....i hope not.
Hi dose the weak leaf springs cause the back to set lower then the front? cause mine is doing that
Old 05-26-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999tacotrd View Post
Hi dose the weak leaf springs cause the back to set lower then the front? cause mine is doing that
yes, and if you have an auto, it causes a bad case of axle warp. what this is, in case you don't know, when you come to a hard/quick stop, a soon as you release off the brake, it feels like your transmission slams into first gear, and or it feels like someone bumped you from behind.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
1999 Taco TRD xtracab 3.4 V6 4x4
1999tacotrd is on a distinguished road
1999tacotrd's Tacoma Gallery
Mines a auto transmission. Looks like i will have to get some new leaf springs. Is it a good idea to buy them at a salvage yard or should i get new ones?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #10
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Not a bad idea...
but I would check out wheelersoffroad.com first. they have some nice replacement springs.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:56 PM   #11
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoy View Post
i have pretty much the same truck but with a auto tranny

great truck ....but some of us 99 owners have been having trouble with the truck shaking at highway speeds around 65mph

other then that ...oh and the square cup holders

i got nothing....shes a great truck enjoy
Thanks for the feedback. I've had it up to probably 72-73 mph and have no signs of any vibration. I guess that means I don't have this issue...all or nothing, I hope. (Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the ride. It was quite a bit smoother than I had expected.)

I actually kind of like the square cupholders...so far. We'll see if that holds up.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by da0023 View Post
I don't *think* it has the sagging problem. Just eyeballing it, it looks to be fairly straight. I don't know how long that shell was on the bed, but I took it off today. It looks so much better naked to me.

Is there an easy way to check the leaf springs for weakness other than checking the "level", i.e. height off ground front vs. back?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
Does it have a locker? or did those only come out with the 01's and up with the trd package. If it does have it then you should look into the locker anytime mod, from what I read it's easy on the 1st gens.
By "locker", I assume you mean some sort of lockout mechanism? (Sorry, I don't know all the Toyota lingo yet! )

If it has a locker, I'm not aware of it yet. But I still have a lot of reading, inspecting, and investigating to do. I'm one of those "manual readers", so I'll actually go through the o.m. page by page. Then, I'll look for other written resources on line, like the maintenance manual, etc. Of course, I'll spend a lot of time reading here, too.

I'm honestly not much into mods. I'm pretty much just wanting something to bang around in without spending a huge amount of time with it. I do love to keep up on routine maintenance and tinker a little bit, but as far as doing a great deal of modding, that's just not really my thing. But I'm always open to suggestions!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
savoy, i wonder if his rides better because his leaf springs are not wore out? I know i could stand a new set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've had it up to probably 72-73 mph and have no signs of any vibration. I guess that means I don't have this issue...all or nothing, I hope. (Actually, I was pleasantly surprised by the ride. It was quite a bit smoother than I had expected.)

I actually kind of like the square cupholders...so far. We'll see if that holds up.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
The One, The Only
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
Thor, what kind of tires are you running, i have the shake issue in mine and I believe it is due to some off brand tires. I have already replaced about every other part except for the tires.
Quote:

Old 05-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
By "locker", I assume you mean some sort of lockout mechanism? (Sorry, I don't know all the Toyota lingo yet! )

If it has a locker, I'm not aware of it yet. But I still have a lot of reading, inspecting, and investigating to do. I'm one of those "manual readers", so I'll actually go through the o.m. page by page. Then, I'll look for other written resources on line, like the maintenance manual, etc. Of course, I'll spend a lot of time reading here, too.

I'm honestly not much into mods. I'm pretty much just wanting something to bang around in without spending a huge amount of time with it. I do love to keep up on routine maintenance and tinker a little bit, but as far as doing a great deal of modding, that's just not really my thing. But I'm always open to suggestions!

If it is a TRD Offroad (will have decals on the bedside) it will have an electric locker in the rear axle. There will be a button on the left side of the dash the says "REAR DIFF LOCK". You can only engage it in 4LO, unless you do the grey wire mod.

First gen's are the best tacoma out there. Since you have the 3.4L, I would check to see if the timing belt has been replaced. If it hasn't you should get it replaced soon.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
If it is a TRD Offroad (will have decals on the bedside) it will have an electric locker in the rear axle. There will be a button on the left side of the dash the says "REAR DIFF LOCK". You can only engage it in 4LO, unless you do the grey wire mod.

First gen's are the best tacoma out there. Since you have the 3.4L, I would check to see if the timing belt has been replaced. If it hasn't you should get it replaced soon.
Yes, the timing belt and water pump were replaced at approximately 140k, give or take a few k. It looks like the upper radiator hose has been replaced, and I know the plug wires, fuel filter, and few other items were replaced as well. Also, all the other major systems have been inspected for overall condition and functionality, including engine/powertrain computer module, airbag system, a/c, etc.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #18
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes, the timing belt and water pump were replaced at approximately 140k, give or take a few k. It looks like the upper radiator hose has been replaced, and I know the plug wires, fuel filter, and few other items were replaced as well. Also, all the other major systems have been inspected for overall condition and functionality, including engine/powertrain computer module, airbag system, a/c, etc.

That's sweet. How about the tranny and diff fluids? Have they been replaced?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #19
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
That's sweet. How about the tranny and diff fluids? Have they been replaced?
Now that's one of those things I just don't know. I'm going to check them out, but I'm not sure how to tell just by looking if they're okay or not. I'm going to go out an a limb and say the diff fluid is original but the tranny fluid has probably been changed, though I couldn't begin to say when. Any suggestions?
Old 05-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #20
Thor's Tacoma Gallery
Just thought of something else. Is this 5VZ-FE engine interference or non-interference? Just browsing through the owner's manual and looking at the valve clearances, it looks like it might be non-interference.