Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Pro & Cons of installing 2nd Generation TRD Wheel/Tires on 1st Generation TRD Taco

Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
srsupertrap is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 86 AGS F-4E Crew Chief
srsupertrap's Tacoma Gallery
Pro & Cons of installing 2nd Generation TRD Wheel/Tires on 1st Generation TRD Taco

Hi,
I used the search but I didn't find a similar thread . . . I have a 2001 Tacoma V6 4WD TRD PKG and I have noticed on Craig's List there are numerous 2nd generation TRD owners who are selling their stock TRD 16" aluminum wheels & tires at some attractive prices. My 2001 Taco TRD was originally equipped with 265/70-16 vs the 2005 TRD Off Road 245/75-16. I used the tire calculator located here and pasted some of the results below. The wheels are both 6 bolt pattern but I don't have either wheel width or offsets in front of me. From a cosmetic stand point, I really don't care for the porous finish of the 2001 -2004 painted TRD aluminum wheels. The brake dust & grime leaches into the finish and cannot be cleaned from my experience.

I was wondering if has anyone performed this TRD wheel & tire swap and has any comments on the form, fit or function of this proposed transplant. The tire width would be reduced substantially but I would appreciate your feedback

Tire Size Calculator:

Current Tire: 265/70-16 vs. New Tire 245/75-16

Difference Diameter (mm) (777.4) vs (773.9) = (-3.5) -0.5%
Width (mm) (265) vs (245) = (-20) -7.5%
Circumference (mm) (2442.27) vs (2431.28) = (-10.99) -0.4%
Sidewall Height (mm) (185.5) vs (183.75) = (-1.75) -1%
Revolutions per mile (km)658.95 (409.21)661.93 (411.06)2.98 (1.85) 0.5%

TIA
Old 05-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
I've seen it done on here a couple of times...
Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
kroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shedkroggy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
kroggy's Tacoma Gallery
I have 245/75R16 Tires on my 02. There is pretty much no difference in the speedo, and I made the switch to the 245's because I could get a light truck 10 ply tire in that size.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Hey bro, I have a set of (4) 17" sport with tires on them. Only had 1400 miles on them when I took them off. I'd make you a sweet deal on them for ya. Only expensive part would be shipping.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
yup..its been done..If there cheap enough, just buy them up and test fit them..You can easily resell them if need be
Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Hey bro, I have a set of (4) 17" sport with tires on them. Only had 1400 miles on them when I took them off. I'd make you a sweet deal on them for ya. Only expensive part would be shipping.
Thanks jrobson but being in Colorado I am sticking with the Off Road wheels & A/T tires combo. I see lots of owners selling those 17" sport wheels/tires.
I forgot to ask is there any issues or concerns using the 2nd generation wheels with TPS?
Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Its been done before. Just the new gen wheels has a bigger backspacing which means it will tuck in more compared to the old gen wheels. You are basically limited to the stock width tires because of the UCA clearance.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
crazyasu45 is on a distinguished road
Name: Matt
crazyasu45's Tacoma Gallery
FYI...1998 Taco...4x4 TRD...V6...3.4L

I have 285/70/R17's on mine and it throws the speedo out by like 5%
Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
TTaco is on a distinguished road
TTaco's Tacoma Gallery
So if you run the 2nd generation trd wheels on a 1st generation you can't run a wider tire without rubbing or buying a wheel spacer?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTaco View Post
So if you run the 2nd generation trd wheels on a 1st generation you can't run a wider tire without rubbing or buying a wheel spacer?
Yes...the 05 and up is 5" backspacing vs 4-4.5" on the 1st Gen. Anything wider then 10.50" you might have UCA clearance issues and/or rubbing at full lock.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
think it is 5.5"
Correct I think its closer to the 5.25-5.5"
Old 06-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
Its been done before. Just the new gen wheels has a bigger backspacing which means it will tuck in more compared to the old gen wheels. You are basically limited to the stock width tires because of the UCA clearance.
Could you define your concern with tuck? You are stating the wheels are further inboard (closer to the engine) and may do what if anything to handling?