Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Where to find a toolbox? Mid size or compact?

Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Taco95 is on a distinguished road
Taco95's Tacoma Gallery
Where to find a toolbox? Mid size or compact?

I went up to Tractor Supply tonight and looked around and a black diamond plate low-profile crossover toolbox for my truck is about 280$. Personally i thought this was just a little high but when i get on the internet to see if its cheaper to buy online, no way! anywhere from 380$ to 500$ for the compact-midsize pick up toolboxes. Thats ridiculous!

I was hoping to find a little bit of a better deal on one, i thought i'd ask the owners of the Tacoma's where to buy, and who to buy from. Thanks guys!
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i got mine from lowes. it was $269.........its polished diamond plate though. you may be able to get them to order a black one.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #3
wormhole7 is on a distinguished road

wormhole7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to wormhole7
Sounds like a decent deal to me. You may be able to find a lower price if you look long and hard, but as you said, most are in the 300 to 500 range on the internet. I went through the same thing, finally giving up and paying about 400 for a small black one.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
CornDog is on a distinguished road

CornDog's Tacoma Gallery
yeah for black thats a good deal. as a gen. rule of thumb u gonna pay at least 50$$ more for black that chrome on toolboxes. i heard that from a UWS toolbox dealer. thats the toolbox ive used on the past 3 tacomas ive owned. my new 07 DC has one also. i wont ever bolt nething else to the bed of one.
UWS is top of the line as far as i know and i paid 349.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
i have j hook holding mine in 2 nuts not hevey empty but big and akuward i have a blak uws and love it around $350
Old 11-18-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
since you put it that way about that - but its big and hard to get your arms around to move
Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
i kinda need a rough idea of the weight of a box.
say more than 30 pounds, don't need a exact measurement but looking at the sites they give all the measurements bot even looking for shipping weight i can't even get a idea ;-(
figure i could use the cab rail (not a side rail) and just use the adjustable anchors to hold it in , would make it easy to get in and out ,
but if much over say 30 pounds and i would have to make a a frame to lift it out and that would be no fun !

i'm kinda a bionic old fart and the dr said nothing over 10 pounds, but hell can;t do anything with that limit !

so using the official
Carolina standard" figure two cases max weight for short distance !

( now if that doesn't qualify me for the Carolina alliance nothing will hahahah

phantom.....you should definitely be in the carolina alliance!! and i will say that the empty weight of an alum toolbox is probably somewhere around 35 to 40 lbs(just my guess though). the hard foam type boxes probably weigh a good bit more, just from how they are made.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco95 View Post
I went up to Tractor Supply tonight and looked around and a black diamond plate low-profile crossover toolbox for my truck is about 280$. Personally i thought this was just a little high but when i get on the internet to see if its cheaper to buy online, no way! anywhere from 380$ to 500$ for the compact-midsize pick up toolboxes. Thats ridiculous!

I was hoping to find a little bit of a better deal on one, i thought i'd ask the owners of the Tacoma's where to buy, and who to buy from. Thanks guys!
Have you looked on craigslist, I just bought winter tires and rims; used but in great condition for cheap. I see alot of new stuff on there all the time, also maybe Amazon, good luck !
Old 11-29-2007, 03:57 PM   #9
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, call me cheap,but I bought a Rubbermaid box from Wallmart for around $75.Took the rubber plugs out of the bed and secured through there using a 1/4"x1"x4" piece of aluminum with a hole drilled in it for the bottom,two bolts with fender washers,and bought a paddlock for it.Fits perfect between the wheelwells on my DBL cab.Works for me.