Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lift Kit questions

Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
j_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant future

Name: catdick
j_cyrus's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Kit questions

Hey guys, new to the forum, not so new to Toyota's. I've had a 92 and a 94 pickup. Just bought a 99 Limited Tacoma extended cab TRD. Just wanting to know some things about a lift. Is Daystar any good? I am looking to fit some 33's. Is 3.5" big enough to fit 33's?

Are body lifts any good? Or would you prefer suspension lifts?

What do I need to expect to pay for a good 3.5" lift? Any suggestions on where to order one from? Sorry about all of the questions, just looking for some answers.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cyrus View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum, not so new to Toyota's. I've had a 92 and a 94 pickup. Just bought a 99 Limited Tacoma extended cab TRD. Just wanting to know some things about a lift. Is Daystar any good? I am looking to fit some 33's. Is 3.5" big enough to fit 33's?

Are body lifts any good? Or would you prefer suspension lifts?

What do I need to expect to pay for a good 3.5" lift? Any suggestions on where to order one from? Sorry about all of the questions, just looking for some answers.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
i reccomend procomp suspension lifts, with a front spacer and an add-a-leaf, if you can find a metal spacer

3.5 inches should be enough to run 33's but you may have to trim a little bit

i am not biased when it comes to lifts, with a suspension lift you can go ahead and replace things like brakes struts balljoints while you are in there if they are getting close to their time and i often do that, if you do that you will get a smooth ride still, maybe a lil rougher than stock but i didnt notice

body lifts give a slighltly rougher ride and look ugly on some trucks, however they are easier than suspension lifts to install

torsion bars (not a prollem for taco owners cause we use coil springs) i hate it when idiots tighten them up then complain to me why the ride crappily

a good suspension lift can range from 150-500 struts and shocks bout 70 each ball joints bout 80 but all you are looking for is the lift kits these are things you may want to replace however if its gettin close to due time while you have your suspension taken apart
Old 06-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
you wont get 3.5 out of a coil spacer lift. you can get three at best and do a shackle block rear lift
Old 06-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Forget spacers. Spend a couple bucks more and get some 5100 Bilstiens, and some OME springs. That will give you 3" lift, and you wont break anything, or have a crappy ride.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
sorry 3 is highest i install with suspension over that is illegal in nc and i wont be held liable
Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Peanut Butter and Jaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: If I told ya, I'd have to kill you...
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
sorry 3 is highest i install with suspension over that is illegal in nc and i wont be held liable
you can only lift 3 inches in NC?! thats crazyy.

and to the Topics starter:
i have an 02 prerunner i put 2.5 up front and 1.5 shackle in the rear.
Im running 285/75r16 right now on Pro comp wheels with a 4.5" backspacing.
285 is pretty much a 33" tire so heres what you need to look out for.
#1, backspacing. are you going to use stock wheels? you may want to save up and get new wheels that will push the tire away from the UCA and Frame. My tires (General Grabber AT2) only rub the frame cuz the inside rounds a little so it doesnt hit UCA.
This could be solved by using wheel spacers if u like your stock wheels. but be careful. some people are skeptical on using those if you wheel alot.
#2 trimming needed? you will most likely have to remove your mudflaps and to be safe you should 'Pinch Weld Mod' your fronts. as well as remove rear mudflaps.
the rear should fit 33s stock, because the wheels dont turn obviously. and more clearance back there.

if you have any more questions hit me up, im sure im missing somehting and out trucks are similar to what you want/what i have done.

hope this helps tho!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #7
I like to break shit!

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
you can only lift 3 inches in NC?! thats crazyy.

and to the Topics starter:
i have an 02 prerunner i put 2.5 up front and 1.5 shackle in the rear.
Im running 285/75r16 right now on Pro comp wheels with a 4.5" backspacing.
285 is pretty much a 33" tire so heres what you need to look out for.
#1, backspacing. are you going to use stock wheels? you may want to save up and get new wheels that will push the tire away from the UCA and Frame. My tires (General Grabber AT2) only rub the frame cuz the inside rounds a little so it doesnt hit UCA.
This could be solved by using wheel spacers if u like your stock wheels. but be careful. some people are skeptical on using those if you wheel alot.
#2 trimming needed? you will most likely have to remove your mudflaps and to be safe you should 'Pinch Weld Mod' your fronts. as well as remove rear mudflaps.
the rear should fit 33s stock, because the wheels dont turn obviously. and more clearance back there.

if you have any more questions hit me up, im sure im missing somehting and out trucks are similar to what you want/what i have done.

hope this helps tho!
legally thats all you can lift your suspension, depends where u live though, in my region noone cares but i know others that have been pulled for it
Old 06-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
i have an unknown amount of lift on my 02...but its accomplished with Sway-A-Way coilovers and a 3 leaf AAL from Wheelers Offroad with Bil. 5125s in the rear...

i run 33's no problem
Old 06-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #9
Peanut Butter and Jaaaaaaaammmmmmm!!
t.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shedt.hornstra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: If I told ya, I'd have to kill you...
Name: Ted
t.hornstra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
i have an unknown amount of lift on my 02...but its accomplished with Sway-A-Way coilovers and a 3 leaf AAL from Wheelers Offroad with Bil. 5125s in the rear...

i run 33's no problem
Haha i like your style, just do whatever it takes to make the wheels fit.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hornstra View Post
Haha i like your style, just do whatever it takes to make the wheels fit.
actually not exactly...i fit the tires to the lift...

i only dont know...because i dont care...the lift came as a result of suspension upgrades...