1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Why so hard to find a used Tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Quagmire, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey everyone, Im currently in the market for a used 4x4 Tacoma and I'm coming up short.

I know these trucks are the most dependable you can buy and they last forever and thats probably why I can't find any. Also the factor that a lot were bought back due the the rusty frames.

I'm located in CT and I was wondering if anyone had any tips into finding a good 4x4 Tacoma? All I want is 4x4, under 150,000 miles and a good frame... Is that too much to ask?!

Giggidy!

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    It seems like they sell fast, when I went to buy my truck after we finished signing the papers and everything another person walked into buy the truck I had just bought and the Toyota dealership by my house hasn't had any 1st gens for awhile now. If you havent already, use yahoo and craiglist and other websites like these to search thats how I found my truck.

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Charles Toyota in Norwich has a nice Indigo Ink Ex. Cab TRD Sport. Second Gen., not sure of year or mileage. Might be worth giving them a call? I drove by today and saw it sitting out front with the used cars.

4. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    kmok Ive been all over craigslist and yahoo. Ive been using searchtempest to search all the local craigslists. Most of what I find is a 4x2 or a 4x4 thats out of my price range. Basically around 6k-7k. A little higher if I can finance the rest.

The one in norwich ill take a look at but since its a second gen my guess is it will be too expensive.

On top of it I'm trying to sell my 01 Jetta right now so I can buy this truck. And that seems to be impossible too...

5. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I posted this today in CL finds today, its pre-tacoma but low miles and a good price & have seen it in person on my way to my mom's house. Proctor, VT is about 15 min northwest of Rutland, I dunno 4 hrs from CT? Alot of tacomas were bought back or frame swapped here. Anything else goes top dollar.

http://burlington.craigslist.org/ctd/1227561626.html

6. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Best bet might be to find what you're looking for here in the west where it's dry and warm. Frame rot issues are non-existent, especially on local trucks that have lived their entire lives in desert country. A plane ride out and you drive something back that has what you need and want in a good 4x4.

7. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  8. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    Xedge that pre-tacoma looks really nice... I might have to take a look at that... Are the infamous rust issues only with 95 to 2000 Tacomas and nothing pre?

And Rio I wish I could locate something outwest and drive it back... but thats just more money on top of my already low price range...

Janster I'm familiar with those websites and have checked them religiously since I started the hunt...

Btw if anyone knows anyone looking for a Jetta steer them in my direction!!!

9. Jun 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    I drove 400 mi to Wichita Falls, TX to buy my truck. It's a 2006 2.7L 4x4 Regular Cab. Extremely hard to find here used. So worth it though.

10. Jun 18, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    S1E675

S1E675 Never enough toys

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4x4
    I know what you mean! When I started looking for my second Taco, I found one at my local dealer on their web site at lunch. It didn’t even have pics yet, but figured I’d check it out on my way home from work. This was about 11:30 AM. Got to the dealer at 4:15 PM, and it was gone! Needless to say when I found the one I bought, I called the dealer right a way, and put a hold deposit on it. That dealer was an hour and a half drive away. They claimed they had 100+ calls on it in the one day it was on their web site (so I would guess they got at least 15-20 calls with 50% ready to buy). Either way, they go fast.

For me just checking “local” dealers web sites everyday, and being patient worked out. If you’re on a budget, don’t rush. One will show up.

Good luck!

11. Jun 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM
    1999tacotrd

1999tacotrd 1999 Taco TRD xtracab 3.4 V6 4x4

Member:
    Took me a couple months to find mine that was in my price range. I jumped into it and should had waited by the time its all said and done i probly ended up replacing everything on the truck.

The people who had it before me didn't take care of it had in it lots of mud

so far i spent $4800 buying the truck then right after words front transmission seal went out so i bought a used transmission for it and installed it.

Price of the stuff i had to fix

Transmission $600
    Timing pulleys $100
    Brake booster $45
    Brake portioning valve (did not need it was trial and error) $20.00
    brake caliper (did not need it was trial and error) $60.00
    Front fan $118

Things that i need to fix but have not done yet
    alternator bearings are going out
    passenger side mirror
    has leaf sag
    front wheel bearings

So all together i spent $5600 on the POS with 194k miles on the motor :mad:

SO WHAT EVERY YOU DO DON'T JUMP INTO THE FIRST GOOD DEAL YOU SEE CAUSE U MIGHT GET A LEMON LIKE I DID.

im looking for ether a Nissan or a Toyota 4x4 now that's like 87-92 model and under 1k in price just something to play around in cause to me it seems that older ones last longer then newer ones. I had a 1990 nissan 4x4 pickup before this and i owend it a year 1/2 and never had no problems with it and had it through mud and sand and had lots of fun with it but i sold it after i bought the tacoma for only $600 Big mistake i wish now i kept it to :( but i only paid $700 for it so i didnt take much a loss on it.

12. Jun 18, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    I just went though the very same thing. I was VERY picky though. I wanted an auto trans, 4X4, Xtra cab, with low miles. I did not want silver, gold, black or yellow at all. I searched craigslist every hour (to jump on new listings) for 6 weeks until I found one 250 miles away in Maryland. I was willing to travel, and spend $8,500 for the "right" truck. I also prefered it to be 01 through 04, but one just reached out to me. I bought a 2000 just last weekend for $7,000. My wife and I took a train down to pick it up. They sell quick if priced right. Have cash in hand, and widen your search area. Good luck....:D

13. Jun 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey thanks everyone for the advice... Im def trying to find the right deal for me and I will def be having a mechanic check it out 1999tacotrd...

Unfortunately like I said I am trying to sell my car now to pay for the Taco... Things are looking grim since no one has any money or the people that want to buy it also need to sell their car first too. Looking like I will be bringing it to Carmax soon and I know they are gonna rip me off...

Ive called a few dealers that had something I was interested in but the truck had already been sold each time... once within 1 day...

Uh why do these trucks have to be so great!!! I can find a million and 1 Ford Rangers for sale!!!!

14. Jun 18, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Quagmire,

Do a search for Neat auto sales in Manchester/Merrimack NH......Has a few Taco's from old to newer and prices around what you are looking for.......I drive by there every am and there are at least 4 of them still there ..

Snoope

15. Jun 19, 2009 at 7:29 AM
    holcombr

holcombr New Member

Member:
    Boise Idaho.........I have found that when a "good" truck pops up on Craig'slist or on Autotrader it is gone almost immediatly, if it is priced right. Have also noticed that some trucks are priced $2500.00 OVER high book and they still sell.......very frustrating......
    I have been looking for 2 months 2001 - 2004 extra cab 4 by 4 LOW MILES (4 cylinder only) want the 22 miles to the gallon driving a 97 4 runner with 4 cyl. now except high milaes on it
    Even started to "think" maybe new....... best deal is at $22,000.00 That makes a used truck in the $12 - $14,000.00 range seem better just hard to find......Keep looking that's part of the game

16. Jun 19, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I happened to see my truck on autotrader (just got on that day) and went out to the dealership later that day. By the end of the test drive, the salesman (real nice guy) said that I shouldn't have even test driven it yet because they didn't do any inspection of the truck to see if anything needed fixed. We told them that if it passes the inspection, we want to buy it.

I think the dealership had the truck for a total of 5 days or something. It was an easy sale for the guy that sold it to me haha, exactly what I wanted!

17. Jun 19, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    Wow pittim that seems really lucky...

I did some searches today and I found a few decent trucks locally and a bit further... One or two might be scams but I sent emails anyway just be sure...

Of course I haven't sold my Jetta yet soo doesn't even matter if they are available they will probably get bought...

How does this sound?

1999 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Xtra Cab - $6300

SR5, Dark green, 88,000 original miles, runs like new.
    Good condition inside and out.
    PS, PB, AC, Auto Trans, AM/FM/CD Radio
    2" receiver hitch.
    Bed liner, Tonneau Bed cover, 2 new studded snow tires on rims.

No pic but I emailed so we shall see... hopefully they can hold out... seems like a pretty good deal to me...

18. Jun 19, 2009 at 5:26 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    PreRunner isn't 4x4 fyi.

Sounds pretty nice other than that though.

19. Jun 20, 2009 at 2:47 AM
    Werloc

Werloc Large Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Central, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2003 Double Cab 4X4 TRD 3.4 V6
    Yeah It's NOT 4x4 like pittimn said. And the TRD package wasn't around until 01 so you wouldn't even have Posi rear. It wouldn't be so great in the snow. The ass end is light.

20. Jun 20, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    Quagmire

Quagmire [OP] Member

Member:
    WOW I have a lot to learn!

Good thing though because it was sold!

And it looks like they weren't completely honest.

Back to search! Thanks for the help guys!!!

Products Discussed in

To Top