Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Speakers for a Quad Cab TRD

Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
Brutus will become famous soon enough

Name: Butus
Brutus's Tacoma Gallery
Speakers for a Quad Cab TRD

I'm getting conflicting answers from stereo stores, and online places like crutchfield and others.

Does anyone know the best fit speaker for the 03 Quad cab?
I have a new head unit on order, and depending how it sounds installed, new speakers will be not too far behind.

I've heard anywhere from 6x8's to 6.5" and few other random sizes.

I'm looking for a solid answer and not a guess.

Thanks guys and girls!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Fronts are 6x8's and the rear I believe are a 5x7. I got new speakers put in awhile ago, but cant remember what I got.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
simonreale will become famous soon enoughsimonreale will become famous soon enough
simonreale's Tacoma Gallery
6.5" splits with spacers/adaptors made out of MDF ply.

30mins from start to finish per speaker.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
6X8 and 5X7 format oval speakers use the same mounting pattern, so for all intents and purposes they're the same thing.

2003 Double Cab factory speaker size is 6X8 front and back.

A 6.5" round speaker will require some degree of fabrication / adaptation (e.g., spacers, trimming, etc.). 5.25" round speakers are less likely to have fitment issues, but will still require some trimming and adapters / spacers.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
Brutus will become famous soon enough

Name: Butus
Brutus's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys, I've done alot of stereo installs in the past but these just had me stumped. I'm use to just cut dry what size fits.
I cant say enough how helpful everyone on this site is.
I'm glad I was able to find a great group of Tacoma Owners!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:22 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaGaia View Post
6X8 and 5X7 format oval speakers use the same mounting pattern, so for all intents and purposes they're the same thing.

2003 Double Cab factory speaker size is 6X8 front and back.

A 6.5" round speaker will require some degree of fabrication / adaptation (e.g., spacers, trimming, etc.). 5.25" round speakers are less likely to have fitment issues, but will still require some trimming and adapters / spacers.
are there any speakers out there that will just install in the factory spot,,,no modification for fitment or anything? im thinking bout getting new speakers, and maybe a new head unit(if need be), but i barely ever work on stereos,im more the mechanical type.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
zeski25 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
zeski25's Tacoma Gallery
X2
Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #8
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
are there any speakers out there that will just install in the factory spot,,,no modification for fitment or anything? im thinking bout getting new speakers, and maybe a new head unit(if need be), but i barely ever work on stereos,im more the mechanical type.
6X8 or 5X7 ovals should pop right in, provided they're not too deep. Fitment tends to get tricky at around 2.5" mounting depth.

If you get 6X8's or 5X7's with a coaxial-mounted tweeter (sitting atop the big cone) you might get some fit-up issues on the front as well.

6X9's are a different and larger format, and will require tweaking / trimming to install on 2001 - 2004 Tacos. Almost no one installs 6X9's, because if you're going to that amount of trouble you might as well install round speakers (which generally have better sound quality than ovals).