View Poll Results: what battery?
optima red top 108 29.27%
optima yellow top 117 31.71%
sears die hard platinum 115 31.17%
odyssey 29 7.86%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
Tacoguy is a jewel in the roughTacoguy is a jewel in the roughTacoguy is a jewel in the rough

Name: Alex
Tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Autozone Duralast yellow top, the warranty is rediculous and they put them in for u... worked there for like 8 months then realized i was getting paid shit to do what i was doing
Ha Ha Ha yeah I hear ya. I have been working there for 2 months and have always realized that I was getting paid shit to do what I do.

However on the duralast yellow batteries, they actually are very good. Everyone I talk to who has them has been very impressed and satisfied.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #22
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman View Post
Autozone Duralast yellow top, the warranty is rediculous and they put them in for u... worked there for like 8 months then realized i was getting paid shit to do what i was doing
HAHAHAHA!!!! Tell me about it Ive been working there for like 1.5 years and they dont pay s**t for the stuff you have to put up with! Just now over min. wage now. But for the yellow top duralast they are good. The optima bat. are just hype IMO. I have had a optima come back that was a very good mechanics personal bat. THAT WAS ONLY ABOUT 4 MONTHS OLD, and it was about to blow up for no apparent reason, seriously it was hot as hell and was put outside because we were afraid it was gonna blow.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #24
If you ain't stuck, You ain't tryin hard enough.
blackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwatertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jay
blackwatertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I don't care, As long as it starts my truck, BUt if I needed new batteries, I'd go with Interstate, I had good luck with them in my Powerstroke.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 AM   #25
Large Member
Werloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of lightWerloc is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Bob
Werloc's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a SEARS Diehard guy. I've been using them since I started driving. I just got one a month ago. Just my .02 cents...
Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
only49ersfan is on a distinguished road

only49ersfan's Tacoma Gallery
i always buy the Kirkland Signature, COSTCO house brand battery. Excellent price, excellent warranty and ive had nothin but good luck and long life out of them
Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #27
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about Optima. The earlier ones were good, but the newer ones seem to go into the crapper very soon. If you're gonna spend $200 for a battery then get the Ody. IMO, it's overkill if you don't really need it. I've had Autozone's Duralast batteries in all my cars and they've never let me down.
Duralast Gold is a good, solid choice. I've got one and like it.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #28
ScottyB is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
ScottyB's Tacoma Gallery
I've used optima red tops in multiple vehicles without a hitch. Even used one in a truck that would kill the battery in a few days because of a short for a couple months that I couldn't take the time to fix. Would have to jump it for sure if I didn't use it at least once a week. However, a friend of mine has found that if you're going to cycle the battery like that, well his car ate them. So my next will be a yellow top so I don't have to worry about the charge/recharge killing them if it's an issue.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #29
Faus is on a distinguished road
Faus's Tacoma Gallery
Jumpin on the 'zone haters bandwagon. In the 1.5 years i've worked there i've noticed two things:

1. This job blows
2. I'm seeing more and more optima redtops being replaced under warranty that are less than a year old.

That said, a guy i work with had a redtop that lasted 10 years+. I don't know what Johnson Controls is doing differently but its taking a toll on the lifespan of their optima batteries. FYI Johnson Controls builds both optimas and the duralast batteries sold at autozone. Personally, i will be buying a duralast gold battery next time i need one.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #30
Tacoguy is a jewel in the roughTacoguy is a jewel in the roughTacoguy is a jewel in the rough

Name: Alex
Tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faus View Post
Jumpin on the 'zone haters bandwagon. In the 1.5 years i've worked there i've noticed two things:

1. This job blows
2. I'm seeing more and more optima redtops being replaced under warranty that are less than a year old.

That said, a guy i work with had a redtop that lasted 10 years+. I don't know what Johnson Controls is doing differently but its taking a toll on the lifespan of their optima batteries. FYI Johnson Controls builds both optimas and the duralast batteries sold at autozone. Personally, i will be buying a duralast gold battery next time i need one.
Yeah i have seen quite a few optimas come back as cores. However our duralast batteries seem to last quite a while. Plus it surprises me how much people get back when they get a prorated warranty return.

It seems that a lot of autozoners dont seem to enjoy their job.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 AM   #31
Master of War
shitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud ofshitroc has much to be proud of

Name: Ant
shitroc's Tacoma Gallery
i still got the stock toyota battery right now, when that shits the bed id like to try a yellow top optima
Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #32
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
im partial to optima too... the dry cell is convenient for offroading and bed mount relocation...

in the wife's grocery getter, we are running the duralast yellow
Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #33
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
I had an Optima Yellow Top in my '92 Toyota Pickup for about 5 months before I bought my Tacoma. I was planning on switching batteries out when I got my new truck, but the posts were backwards. I sold my old Toy with that Optima intact, and ended up buying a Duralast for my new Taco after a couple years of owning it. I really don't notice a difference, except for the price, but I'm not running any electrical options that require a really powerful battery. The Duralast has worked just fine...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #34
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a Kirkland something from Costco. Granted, my truck doesn't have any over-demanding battery needs, but it's held up just fine for like $40 bucks. Consumer Reports also rated it pretty high, higher than some of the optimas in its category.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #35
1st Gen. Pride
only_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really niceonly_K is just really nice

Name: Kevin
only_K's Tacoma Gallery
kirkland battery ftw
Old 03-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #36
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Just picked up a Optima Red Top D34/78...It's my first Optima!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #37
White Tank
SkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud ofSkyHighTacoma has much to be proud of

Name: Josh
SkyHighTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Energizer AA.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #38
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalman22 View Post
Cant go wrong with optima.
x2

Its by far one of the best proven batteries
Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 PM   #39
asus611 is on a distinguished road
asus611's Tacoma Gallery
Kirkland/Costco in house brand battery. Was a darn good deal, had it for four years no problems. I'm fairly certain its made by the same people that make Interstate batteries, and Interstate batteries are awesome.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #40
Unsuspectingly striking from above
BirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedBirdTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Greg
BirdTRD's Tacoma Gallery
In the past I always heard great things about Optima. I've been hearing more and more stories of them sucking though. I know a guy who had one take a shit. He took it back to Autozone, which nicely replaced it. Now he's having troubles with the new one.

Just an isolated incident but concerning nevertheless.

Products Discussed in this Thread