View Poll Results: what battery?
optima red top 108 29.35%
optima yellow top 116 31.52%
sears die hard platinum 115 31.25%
odyssey 29 7.88%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #41
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
i cant remember what its called but you can get a generic version of a yellow top for a fraction of the price. i had one in my civic for my sound system.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #42
Nowhereman04 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
Nowhereman04's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
I've been hearing a lot of bad things about Optima. The earlier ones were good, but the newer ones seem to go into the crapper very soon. If you're gonna spend $200 for a battery then get the Ody. IMO, it's overkill if you don't really need it. I've had Autozone's Duralast batteries in all my cars and they've never let me down.
X2
Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 PM   #43
Sparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSparky4.0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Sparky4.0's Tacoma Gallery
i have had 3 red tops take a crap on me. one was on the trail. the yellow top is still running strong and sits for extended periods of time with no battery tender etc. runs a winch just fine.(with powermaster H/O alternator) still have 1 good red top is an original version as is the yellow. also have a factory yota battery 9 yrs old.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #44
tacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacovic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacovic's Tacoma Gallery
ive got an odyssey battery. pretty much the same as a yellowtop but cheaper.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #45
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Optimas all the way! I have 3 of them in my boat. BEST battery on the market. One of my optimas is at least 6 years old & still holding a charge.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #46
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Duralast yellow top from autozone and use the warranty to never have to buy another battery for the life of the truck. Only about $80 with the core charge.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #47
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Just leave the engine idling and any good battery will handle handle the winch.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #48
She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.
05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed05 TRD Sport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05 TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
My wife does the books for a local NAPA store, so we get stuff at cost. Just guess what kind of battery I have. Side note, NAPA doesn't 'make' anything, they just sell stuff with their name on it. I think their batteries are relabeled Exide.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #49
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Just leave the engine idling and any good battery will handle handle the winch.
In heavy, extreme pulls..... you can run the rpm's higher while winching to help the alternator keep the battery charged (so to speak).
Old 07-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #50
blackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
blackwidow2009's Tacoma Gallery
INTERSTATE batterys are really good! A little more then an autozone battery, but only like 10-20 bucks more. They have a quit a bit more CCA's then stock. My truck is only 2 years old, so I have changed the battery out yet, so I don't know how many CCA's they are, but many (many!) years ago I used them in a 4 cylender car...the interstate battery had about 130 CCA's more then stock. So I'm sure for a 6 cylender truck, it will be conciderable higher then stock.

Oh, just a little info...I live in cleveland Ohio, so the winters are brutal and can be very cold. Sometime hard to start a cold engin with cold oil. So the batteries will take the abuse of continual cranking, eventhough I never hard to deal with that with the interstate battery.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #51
Lube: It's the key to penetration.
STLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shedSTLharry is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Charlotte VRS: EMT/Driver
Name: Harry
STLharry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow2009 View Post
INTERSTATE batterys are really good! A little more then an autozone battery, but only like 10-20 bucks more. They have a quit a bit more CCA's then stock. My truck is only 2 years old, so I have changed the battery out yet, so I don't know how many CCA's they are, but many (many!) years ago I used them in a 4 cylender car...the interstate battery had about 130 CCA's more then stock. So I'm sure for a 6 cylender truck, it will be conciderable higher then stock.

Oh, just a little info...I live in cleveland Ohio, so the winters are brutal and can be very cold. Sometime hard to start a cold engin with cold oil. So the batteries will take the abuse of continual cranking, eventhough I never hard to deal with that with the interstate battery.
Yeah the Interstate battery that came with my truck is about to crap the bed...I think I am going to get another. Price seems reasonable. Don't know how long this one's been in ther but I think it's been a while.

Can they handle a winch ok you think? May get one at some point.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:14 PM   #52
blackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
blackwidow2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLharry View Post
Yeah the Interstate battery that came with my truck is about to crap the bed...I think I am going to get another. Price seems reasonable. Don't know how long this one's been in ther but I think it's been a while.

Can they handle a winch ok you think? May get one at some point.

They handle a winch just fine. When you look for a battery, your first concern is the CCA's, especially in cold places like cleveland. Your second is cost, but it's a "2 part" concern...meaning what does it cost V/S how long will it last....2 years 5 or 6.

No matter what anyone says, a battery is a battery; their all pretty much the same (except for deep cell, that's more for marine, and I forget the reason for that, but those are not good for the street). Anyways, what make a battery different or better is the amount of years it will last. Most say about 5 years, after that it is a crap shoot. Even the "best" batteries say 5 years, even though you may get 7 or more.

And think of the CCA's (cold cranking amp's) as how much "umph" the battery has. If you need 400 CCA's to start your engine, you will run you battery dead with a few turns of the ignition with a 350 CCA battery in the winter because the battery just does not have it in it to turn a cold engine over. Now lets say you put something rediculas in like a 800 CCA battery in a vehicle that that still only needs 400. You will start right up because the battery has the balls (or torque, so to speek) to turn that engine over without a strugle. And there is no harm to your engine. Don't worry you wont hurt your engine or eletrical system going bigger. It's no different then your house...your outlet can diliver eletricity to power a 25 watt lamp or a 100 watt lamp....you just have extra if you need it.

Your running a winch, go high on the CCA, I don't know how high you need, but I would think at least 150/200 CCA above stock. If you go higher even better.

So a good battery = high CCA's + a good price + and a long lasting one. There is no best, and just because someone calls their battery an "off road" battery does not mean it is!

Interstate are great batteries, because they have high CCA's, cost is good, and last a long time.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #54
xSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura aboutxSpyderguyx has a spectacular aura about

Name: Caleb
xSpyderguyx's Tacoma Gallery
Kinetic batteries can pull some series CCA. But the really high quality ones are really expensive. 300+ somtimes

Die hard platinums are good, they are smaller for the 1st gens. Cant go wrong with a yellow top. Diehard golds are also good.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #55
danding is on a distinguished road
Air Force: ROTC DET. 310 LSU
Name: Daniel
danding's Tacoma Gallery
Interstate. Just my .02
Old 08-30-2010, 03:19 PM   #56
mandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud ofmandzach has much to be proud of

mandzach's Tacoma Gallery
Best Battery (IMHO)... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P

I recently purchased one, there were 3 on the shelf at the time. I asked the Sears associate to check each one, as I wanted to get the one testing with the highest CCA.

After testing each one - guess what the highest CCA tested as....

1512 CCA
These batteries are no joke.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM   #57
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkaholic View Post
if you had $200 what battery would you get?

if you're willing to cough up the extra for the odyssey, go ahead and pick odyssey

happy voting!
I'de go to Wal-mart and get a $60 battery.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #58
Nature just gets the blow-by
Twirlin will become famous soon enough

Twirlin's Tacoma Gallery
Optima Yellow Top is my vote.
I've owned a red top with good success and want to try a Yellow Top in my Taco.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #59
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Duralast yellow top from autozone and use the warranty to never have to buy another battery for the life of the truck. Only about $80 with the core charge.

x2

I've always run Duralast yellow tops on all my cars and trucks, and boat and they've been fantastic.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM   #60
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for Interstate.

Products Discussed in this Thread