optima yellow top 117 31.71%
sears die hard platinum 115 31.17%
odyssey 29 7.86%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #61
r4e is on a distinguished road
r4e's Tacoma Gallery
Optima and Ody.....I got both. Purchased Optima at Costco therefore any problems they'll get me full refund, hehehe
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #62
r4e is on a distinguished road
r4e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
I have a yellow top... it works... and it's overkill for me... but it sure is darn pretty sitting there under the hood with that billet battery tray...

Where'd you get billet battery tray?
Old 10-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #64
Kredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shedKredence is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kredence's Tacoma Gallery
I've personally had 3 defective Red Tops. One was DOA. The other two died within a year of purchase. My understanding is the original makers of Optima sold the rights and the battery is now being made by another manufacturer.

I still use them though because it seems like they either fail quickly or not at all. Both my Taco and Runner have red tops. The biggest thing I like is they seem to have enough reserves to run my power inverters and lights for a while before the trucks needs to be started back up.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #65
ToddG is on a distinguished road
Name: Todd
ToddG's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Las Vegas with extreme heat in the summer, have been running Red Top Optima's for over 15 years and have never had one fail. I finaly replaced one after eight years when I replaced a starter in a chevy truck.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #66
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
How the heck do you guys dit the red top Optima? Just bought one and my damn cables won't reach!!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #67
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
How the heck do you guys dit the red top Optima? Just bought one and my damn cables won't reach!!!!
What battery did you have?

I have the D34/78 with reversed terminals. The power cable reached but I had to buy a new ground.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #68
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Recently replaced the OEM AC delco 7 year,,with another one. Got 9 years out of the last one.

For a stubborn charging yellow Optima, you need to remove the batt. plug on a good charger and pound it with 60+ amps for 15 min,,let cool for 15-20. do this about 3 times and you will wake up/revive the optima. This sounds nuts,, but it does work. I almost tossed two yellow tops because I thought they were dead. Tried the above trick and they are still plugging along and holding a charge. Use good judgement and monitor closely.

Used this charger that has a 80 amp start feature, and went about 10 min per cycle.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...71225000P#desc
Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #69
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I could have my stock battery. It lasted 10 years. Never had a problem ever, until one day. It took a dump.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #71
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstr View Post
when i had a red top, i got the reverse terminal ones too...

i have a yellow top now and i just finessed the cables to reach...
Old 12-12-2011, 08:50 PM   #73
deadeye is on a distinguished road
deadeye's Tacoma Gallery
Wal Mart batteries are the best value IMO. Cheaper than the rest and they do installs as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #74
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
First thing first... I'm pretty much a self-proclaimed knob for most automotive wrenching...

...but why do people care about the retailer installing a battery? It's one of the easiest things to do.

And this thread reminds me. I've never changed my battery in my truck and I've owned it for 12 years, and I'm positive it's the original battery in the truck.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #75
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
First thing first... I'm pretty much a self-proclaimed knob for most automotive wrenching...

...but why do people care about the retailer installing a battery? It's one of the easiest things to do.
x2!

Quote:
And this thread reminds me. I've never changed my battery in my truck and I've owned it for 12 years, and I'm positive it's the original battery in the truck.
Sounds like the OE battery in my '97 Mustang Cobra. It lasted a full 12 years, in spite of the car sitting (in the garage) for weeks at-a-time and only being driven about 3500 miles per year.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #76
Derp, Derp Derp
hats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to beholdhats009 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sonia
hats009's Tacoma Gallery
I just got a yellow top for purpose of having extra electronics and because I wanted the best of sorts and deep cycle.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #77
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
My $80 750 cca Walmart battery has been flawless. No dimming of headlights running around 600w rms to my stereo system.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #78
I KEEEEEL YOU
Burgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurgman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
Burgman's Tacoma Gallery
Backwards post redtop that i bought from autozone used... Was a return batt, had it on the sickle charger for four days, finally held the charge and 6 months later no problems. Running 1200w rms stereo, reverse lights, 2 hellas and 2 sets of hids
Old 02-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #79
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

It really depends on the car. starting somewhere between the 90's and early 2000's lots of cars started having batteries that are actually very difficult to replace. Plus with many hondas and vw's you have to worry about the radio security code. Many GM vehicles have their batteries in retarded places. Either sebrings or some other dodge had their battery in the fender well.

In most cases the vehicles have plenty of space in the engine bay to design it so that the battery is very easy to replace, but the manufacturers just don't care.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #80
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Well I deliberated and went with the Sears Diehard Platinum.

The warranty and prorated warranty is what sold me when comparing it to other comparable batteries.

I'm fine with it so far.

Products Discussed in this Thread