View Poll Results: what battery?
optima red top 108 29.27%
optima yellow top 117 31.71%
sears die hard platinum 115 31.17%
odyssey 29 7.86%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #101
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Computer Repair STRATCOM
Name: BiLL
Shadetree's Tacoma Gallery
IMHO, the main reason that AGM prematurely batteries fail is because they are being undercharged by OEM vehicle charging systems that are designed for wet Low Maintenance batteries (with filler caps). A very simple fix is to periodically "top off" the charge in the battery by periodically fully recharging the battery with an external battery charger with an AGM setting.

The rest of the story can be found in the Car and Deep Cycle Battery FAQ on www.batteryfaq.org in Section 9 for more information on charging and Section 4 for correctly measuring the State-of-Charge. This fix will also cure problems caused by driving habits, such as short trips, infrequent use, long term parking, etc.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #102
Jetman1979 is on a distinguished road
Navy: E-6 retired
Name: Michael
Jetman1979's Tacoma Gallery
Interstate battery is a long lasting quality battery that works in cold and hot weather. I used to have a red Optima back in the 90s it was also good but I have heard there quality has gone down hill. At this very moment I am going out battery shopping for my 2009 Taco because it still has the factory unit in it. I replace battery even if it is still working every 4 years.
I have found that after 4 years it is on borrowed time and could fail at the worst time.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #103
Shadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shedShadetree is one of the sharper tools in the shed
According to an extensive study by Interstate of all makes and sizes of car batteries sent for recycling, the average battery life in North Texas is 41 months and less in South Texas in the hotter climate. Yours is a excellent plan if you can not afford to get stranded.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 AM   #104
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedARB1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
My optima red top died after three years. My diehard platinum has been going strong for 5 years now.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:27 AM   #106
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Truestart 27F.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #107
blake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake5995 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
blake5995's Tacoma Gallery
Recent Optima batteries are garbage. Odyssey is the only way to go nowadays.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #108
LexusIS808 is on a distinguished road
LexusIS808's Tacoma Gallery
Diehard platinum!!! Hands down!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #109
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
My OEM ( 11 years old) just died thursday and after pricing them ALL;

Everstart from Walmart...same battery that Autozone wanted for $30 less...Same heavy CCA's and 5 year warranty...

Would have tried another OEM but at 7 Pm on a thursday night guess who has already gone home...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:46 AM   #110
One of the key things to remember about buying batteries left uncharged, they are perishable due to sulfation, especially as the ambient temperature increases. So check the battery manufacture date and buy the freshest available or over three months, have the dealer recharge it and test it before leaving the store.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #111
TailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shedTailDrag is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TailDrag's Tacoma Gallery
2 Optima's lasted less than 3 years combined. I switched back to Interstate Batteries and am never disappointed.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:32 AM   #112
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Duralast Platinum AGM:
Old 01-30-2014, 12:09 PM   #114
phisohex is just really nicephisohex is just really nicephisohex is just really nicephisohex is just really nicephisohex is just really nice

Name: pat
phisohex's Tacoma Gallery
Had 2 Optima red tops, One lasted a year, so i got a replacement replacement lasted a year. Im in Colorado so the winter takes its toll, but ill never get a optima again, Die Hard Platinum..
Old 01-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #115
"old Brett"
BDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
BDN's Tacoma Gallery
I went through two Optima red tops in about a years time.
I've had two Napa Orbitals in the same vehicle for close to 6 years now and they still load test just fine, too bad they don't make them anymore.
I voted Diehard.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:37 AM   #117
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Still rockin the OEM AC Delco 7 year. This is number 2. The first one lasted 9 years. I think I'm on about 4 years now with number 2. Funny thing,,it cranks better/faster when it is really cold outside. That's usually not the case with any battery. The deep cold always pulls them down a bit when cranking. There not cheap at $125,,but you get your moneys worth and then some.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #118
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sears diehard platinum all the way. All it is is a rebranded odyssey for a fraction of the price, with a warranty thats hard to beat.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #119
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly, having an upgraded battery is great. However, I went for years with cheap batteries, and they worked fine got me. If you're using it for winching, ya just gotta keep the intervals short. Let the battery charge frequently.

Just a cool story, bro.

Oh btw....a sears die hard platinum(which is what I run, and is actually rebranded again to a north star battery) is $350 here. Plus tax. So stop bitching, Americans.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:34 AM   #120
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Honestly, having an upgraded battery is great. However, I went for years with cheap batteries, and they worked fine got me. If you're using it for winching, ya just gotta keep the intervals short. Let the battery charge frequently.

Just a cool story, bro.

Oh btw....a sears die hard platinum(which is what I run, and is actually rebranded again to a north star battery) is $350 here. Plus tax. So stop bitching, Americans.

what do you have holding it down??

Products Discussed in this Thread