Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Resetting check engine light

Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
hardtaco will become famous soon enoughhardtaco will become famous soon enough

hardtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Resetting check engine light

I am going to be replacing my O2 Sensor soon, and was wondering if I need to disconnect the positive terminal connection at my battery afterwords, to get the check engine light to go away. Will this do it?
Old 06-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Chrome's for Harleys and old farts
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
ChrisYoTaCoMa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtaco View Post
I am going to be replacing my O2 Sesor soon, and was wondering if I need to disconnect the positive terminal connection at my battery afterwords, to get the check engine light to go away. Will this do it?
Disconnecting the battery will not reset the light in an OBD2 system, it has to be reset with a scan tool. Autozone/Advance auto parts will do it for free.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Custom User
Whippet is on a distinguished road

Whippet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca441970 View Post
Disconnecting the battery will not reset the light in an OBD2 system, it has to be reset with a scan tool. Autozone/Advance auto parts will do it for free.
Just FWIW, a local AutoZone here in Costa Mesa, California told me yesterday that they no longer read/scan error codes, or reset check engine lights. They will only test alternators, batteries, starters. I don't know if that is just that particular store, or the whole chain...
Old 07-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Chrome's for Harleys and old farts
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
ChrisYoTaCoMa's Tacoma Gallery
It has to be the store by you. I was at the store near me in FL last week and the guy next to me with an S-10(poor sap) was getting his checked. It may be the store by you has a bunch of lazy asses that don't want to do it.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #6
Low Speed, High Drag
kevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevhogaz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kevhogaz's Tacoma Gallery
Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds, that should clear the computers memory, and reset the light. But, it also will clear all your readiness monitors, so if you're going through emissions any time soon, you'll need to wait until you make two drive cycles for the monitors to reset.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Autozone won't reset, they'll only read. I've never asked if they would reset for me, however.

CA had some new law or something that said that Autozone can't scan anymore. Go figure it happened in CA.

Disconnecting the negative terminal will reset the light (i disconnected for like 5 min or so) but it will also reset your trip odometers and radio presets.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #8
Durty Whore
attentionwhore is on a distinguished road

attentionwhore's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed my O2 sensor and VatoZone reset it for me. The douche behind the counter said "we arent supposed to do that" as he picked up the scan tool and headed out to the parking lot. No more CEL!