LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Wheel bearing

Old 06-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
I love tight cracks
climber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the roughclimber-420 is a jewel in the rough

climber-420's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel bearing

Went to have my oil changed today at Meinike(spelling), and the mechanic told me about the wheel bearing, something had to do with the tire being able to move up and down. Showed me on one side, but not the other, b/c all the tires were off except the passenger side up front. Anyone had problems with this, or think it was just a gimmick.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber-420 View Post
Went to have my oil changed today at Meinike(spelling), and the mechanic told me about the wheel bearing, something had to do with the tire being able to move up and down. Showed me on one side, but not the other, b/c all the tires were off except the passenger side up front. Anyone had problems with this, or think it was just a gimmick.
what exactly do you mean "tire being able to move up and down"?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Duck Killing Machine
Siebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shedSiebler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: CJ
Siebler's Tacoma Gallery
Install a new bearings and youll see that the tires wont move/wiggle like that anymore. I just did my fronts, Easy job and under 100 for all 4 on my 5 lug. The rears are more expensive, I actually need to repack mine soon.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
Does an 03(from profile) have sealed bearings? My 96 does not, have not owned a newer Yota yet. I just repacked my bearings today-PM maintenance. My taco is a 2wd daily driver with 237k on it.
Things that come to mind to allow the wheel to move up/down
-wheel bearings
-ball joints
-lug nuts loosened up just abit to allow rim to move
I dont trust mieneke type shops myself, but thats me.
I try to repack my bearings every 50k give or take a few thousand miles, factory bearings still in my truck.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Robbsolid's Tacoma Gallery
could bad bearing cause highway shakes? ball joints? Im still plagued witth the horrible highway shakes
Old 07-01-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsolid View Post
could bad bearing cause highway shakes? ball joints? Im still plagued witth the horrible highway shakes
its very possible. both could cause vibrations. have you had the tires road forced any?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Zombie Killer
Robbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to allRobbsolid is a name known to all

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
its very possible. both could cause vibrations. have you had the tires road forced any?
not even sure what that is.. so no lol. ]Ive had my tires balanced and the vibration is still there
Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 AM   #8
What do you mean by hwy shakes? Like a tire out of balance?
I recently had a set of tires go bad, They started to seperate from the inside. They would not balance out. I replaced 2 and then about 2 months later had same trouble w/other 2.Replaced them, no more shakes.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
Zombie Killer

Air Force:
yes, it feels like the tires are slightly out of balance, they are pretty new tires too. sometimes it feels like the steering wheel has a up and down shake instead of the side to side shake when the tires are unbalanced
Old 07-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbsolid View Post
yes, it feels like the tires are slightly out of balance, they are pretty new tires too. sometimes it feels like the steering wheel has a up and down shake instead of the side to side shake when the tires are unbalanced
try getting the tires road force balanced......it may take care of that problem.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #11
aacomi is on a distinguished road
aacomi's Tacoma Gallery
Can the wheel bearings cause a roaring noise in the front end? 69,000 miles on DC 4x4 05'. The rims are enkei rims that were on it when bought new.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #12
Yes they can/will cause a roaring noise, faster you go the louder it will get. Should be able to jack up each side and turn wheel by hand to determine which side. I had an 04 Dodge 3500 diesel with sealed front bearings go out at 30k miles on passenger side. Driver side lasted to over 200k, go figure.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
aacomi is on a distinguished road
aacomi's Tacoma Gallery
thanks......it just seems wierd....toyota dealership tried to apply it to the fact that there were enkie rims that they had on it new when I purchased it......68,000 miles and the bearing goes out.....right after the power train warranty is bonked something happens......Thanks again