Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD Supercharger or gibson ceramic headers?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
morse764 is on a distinguished road
morse764's Tacoma Gallery
TRD Supercharger or gibson ceramic headers?

Christmas is coming up and i would like to know what i whether to get headers or a supercharger for my sr5 03 taco. Right now i have a K&N intake and a borla cat back on it, so can any one tell me which i would get more power out of or which one would be worth it?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division
TuRDTACO is on a distinguished road

TuRDTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TuRDTACO
i wouldnt spend the money on the supercharger. i was thinking about a turbo for mine, but i decided a 4.7L V8 swap when my warranty runs out would be the most cost effective and reliable solution to obtain 300+ crank HP. think about it, a motor for a few grand, all the reliability of a stock engine, you can sell your v6 or i4 to help cover some of the costs, but 300 hp all-motor with no lag is just much better, gas mileage shouldnt change too much either, it'll definately get better mileage numbers than a v6 with forced induction
Old 12-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRDTACO View Post
i wouldnt spend the money on the supercharger. i was thinking about a turbo for mine, but i decided a 4.7L V8 swap when my warranty runs out would be the most cost effective and reliable solution to obtain 300+ crank HP. think about it, a motor for a few grand, all the reliability of a stock engine, you can sell your v6 or i4 to help cover some of the costs, but 300 hp all-motor with no lag is just much better, gas mileage shouldnt change too much either, it'll definately get better mileage numbers than a v6 with forced induction
Yo ! Ya'll just crazy ! I'm putting in a Flux Capasitor, I saw it in a movie once, bitchin'
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Do the supercharger. Get the S/C the 7th injector, fuel pump and some other small things and you can get 300rwhp and since it's a s/c you wont end up with turbo lag.

Doing a 4.7 swap sounds good but there is quite a bit that goes into it. Engine, ECU, wiring, tranny and hoping it all works with current gauge cluster. Plus how long will it take to complete?

Installing the S/C can be done over the course of a weekend for the most novice mechanic.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yo ! Ya'll just crazy ! I'm putting in a Flux Capasitor, I saw it in a movie once, bitchin'
great on i think i saw one on ebay

if it were me i would get the s/c
Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Do the supercharger. Get the S/C the 7th injector, fuel pump and some other small things and you can get 300rwhp and since it's a s/c you wont end up with turbo lag.

Doing a 4.7 swap sounds good but there is quite a bit that goes into it. Engine, ECU, wiring, tranny and hoping it all works with current gauge cluster. Plus how long will it take to complete?

Installing the S/C can be done over the course of a weekend for the most novice mechanic.
yea it won't be easy, but it can be done and to me, it's worth the extra time and effort to have 300hp all motor
Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
yea I agree with Banshee, get the supercharger with the 7th injector kit.

Morse here is the link to the installation instructions for the Supercharger.. get a look at it before the big purchase.
http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...4LSCInstal.pdf
Old 12-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #8

yea just get the s/c kit for now. when i get my v8 swapper in & throw a turbo on it, we'll see how much i ended up spending to have 400rwhp in a tacoma lol
Old 12-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
Pastry Chef
tacotoe is on a distinguished road
tacotoe's Tacoma Gallery
might as well get both, I mean if ya got the change for a s/c, a few x-tra for hedders..while your in there and all(wrench`n on it).
Flux Capacitor...I like that
Old 12-08-2007, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotoe View Post
might as well get both, I mean if ya got the change for a s/c, a few x-tra for hedders..while your in there and all(wrench`n on it).
Flux Capacitor...I like that
you'll get a BIG gain from headers and a cat-back exhaust if you have the s/c already, intake and exhaust flow is EVERYTHING with a forced induction engine
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
morse764 is on a distinguished road
morse764's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know whether or not you have to take the engine out in order to put on new headers or can you do it while its in, which would obviously be a lot more easy
Old 12-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by morse764 View Post
Does anyone know whether or not you have to take the engine out in order to put on new headers or can you do it while its in, which would obviously be a lot more easy
i'm not sure about the 1st Gens bro, but with the 2nd Gens it looks like i can swap them without pulling the motor