LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4cyl vs 6? prerunner vs "normal"?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
T-Ray is on a distinguished road
T-Ray's Tacoma Gallery
4cyl vs 6? prerunner vs "normal"?

I'm lookin at buyin either a Tacoma, Ranger, or Frontier. I have a few questions:
1. Would I feel a lack of power in a 4cyl?
2. Is there really anything a 4cyl can't do (not gonna be rock crawling or gettin in thick mud)?
3. I have found a 4cyl manual 2002 not prerunner and a 4cyl auto 2002 is a prerunner. Other than the color, is there any difference in the looks of a stock "normal" vs prerunner? Which would you suggest? The man. has less than 60k miles and the auto aroud 85k.
4. I can't find any 6cyl manuals, so it'll be either one of the two above or an auto 6 Ranger or Frontier. I know this is a toyota forum, but what would be better? What kind of gas mileage could i expect from a man. 6, auto 6, man. 4, and auto 4? (might be able to really search and find a man. 6)
I think thats it right now, will update if I think of anything more.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
i think that you will find that the 4 cyl tacoma has PLENTY of power. and its very good on gas
Old 07-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
T-Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
i think that you will find that the 4 cyl tacoma has PLENTY of power. and its very good on gas
So what would you recommend in the way of prerunner or not? Prerunner is auto, not is man.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
So what would you recommend in the way of prerunner or not? Prerunner is auto, not is man.
Prerunner is 2wd with a 4wd suspension. They are available with auto or manual trans.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
As far as the engines go, I have a 4x4 2.7 Access Cab. The truck is a little slow in 1st gear, but once you are rolling it does fine. I average about 21 mpg in mixed driving. If you can afford the slightly lower gas mileage and the higher MSRP, I would get the V6. The Ranger v6 and Frontier v6 are gas guzzling pigs. Stick with the Tacoma. You won't be sorry. JMO.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
T-Ray's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAAC3TACO View Post
Prerunner is 2wd with a 4wd suspension. They are available with auto or manual trans.
I can only find a prerunner with auto 4cyl, so would ya'll recommend the auto prerunner or a manual 4cyl that is not a prerunner? both 2002 models, and is there any difference in the physical appearance? the photos are not the greatest that I have seen.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
Quote:
I can only find a prerunner with auto 4cyl, so would ya'll recommend the auto prerunner or a manual 4cyl that is not a prerunner? both 2002 models, and is there any difference in the physical appearance? the photos are not the greatest that I have seen.
I think prerunners look better, because they look like 4x4s. Some people like the low to the ground look. It's all a matter of personal taste.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

Name: matthew
matthew5olson's Tacoma Gallery
go take them for a real test drive. I drove mine for an hour before I said "ok". Test them out. they are used so your not hurting them by putting 50-75 miles on them. Figure out what you want not what others tell you is good. Everyone's circumstances are different. After you figure which options you want find THAT EXACT TRUCK. You won't be sorry I drove over 750 miles looking for the truck I wanted. I don't regret any of it. Everytime I get in the truck I remember how awesome it is. Also buy the online subsrciption to consumer reports and read the reviews on the trucks. They were right on with every truck I test drove. I wouldn't get a ford at all costs. Do not get a 6cyl nissan. My uncle is a nissan mechanic. The 3.3L 6cyl are horrible gas hogs. The newer 4.0L V6's are actually more powerful than toyota's (not sure about gas mileage on these) I would stick with any type of tacoma or a 4 cyl frontier
Old 07-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew5olson View Post
go take them for a real test drive. I drove mine for an hour before I said "ok". Test them out. they are used so your not hurting them by putting 50-75 miles on them. Figure out what you want not what others tell you is good. Everyone's circumstances are different. After you figure which options you want find THAT EXACT TRUCK. You won't be sorry I drove over 750 miles looking for the truck I wanted. I don't regret any of it. Everytime I get in the truck I remember how awesome it is. Also buy the online subsrciption to consumer reports and read the reviews on the trucks. They were right on with every truck I test drove. I wouldn't get a ford at all costs. Do not get a 6cyl nissan. My uncle is a nissan mechanic. The 3.3L 6cyl are horrible gas hogs. The newer 4.0L V6's are actually more powerful than toyota's (not sure about gas mileage on these) I would stick with any type of tacoma or a 4 cyl frontier
I hear the 4.0 Nissan is a gas hog too.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
j_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant futurej_cyrus has a brilliant future

Name: catdick
j_cyrus's Tacoma Gallery
My brother has a 99 3.0 ranger, 5 spd and he only gets about 16mpg. I am getting anywhere from 18-20 out of mine (5 spd).
Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
mother of god!!!!!!!
metalranger33 is on a distinguished road

metalranger33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to metalranger33
Quote:
I'm lookin at buyin either a Tacoma, Ranger, or Frontier. I have a few questions:
1. Would I feel a lack of power in a 4cyl?
2. Is there really anything a 4cyl can't do (not gonna be rock crawling or gettin in thick mud)?
3. I have found a 4cyl manual 2002 not prerunner and a 4cyl auto 2002 is a prerunner. Other than the color, is there any difference in the looks of a stock "normal" vs prerunner? Which would you suggest? The man. has less than 60k miles and the auto aroud 85k.
4. I can't find any 6cyl manuals, so it'll be either one of the two above or an auto 6 Ranger or Frontier. I know this is a toyota forum, but what would be better? What kind of gas mileage could i expect from a man. 6, auto 6, man. 4, and auto 4? (might be able to really search and find a man. 6)
I think thats it right now, will update if I think of anything more.
I have a 02 Tacoma prerunner double cab (auto), and the v6 has plenty of power but sucks on gas....if gas is a issue id go with the 4cyl...I actually drove a 4cyl and thats a nice little engine
Old 07-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
Chrome's for Harleys and old farts
ChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enoughChrisYoTaCoMa will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
ChrisYoTaCoMa's Tacoma Gallery
I have owned a 99 Ranger with the 3.0, and a 91 Ranger with the 2.9. BOTH sucked on gas. And to be 100% honest, my 2.7 Tacoma 4x4 gets 20mpg mostly city, is an automatic, and has as much power if not better than both of my rangers with the V6, OR my 1989 Bronco 2 2.9 V6, which I loved dearly. All 3 of my Fords were 5 speeds... I also owned a 1991 S-10 Blazer 4x4 4.3L v6, which was a serios PIG, and hated that thing. Nothing has beaten the quality, enjoyability, looks, performance and happiness as my Tacoma has brought. As for Nissan, I just think they are ugly as shit... Frontiers look cheap, and pretty much butt. Titans from what my friend who owned on says it was crap, Armadas are super FUGLY. All I like from Nissan is thier cars.

If I were to choose, you know what I would take, but if I were forced between Ford or Nissan, I would buy a ranger.... GO FOR A TACO..... And I am not being biased...LOL.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
black98 is on a distinguished road

black98's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with a V6 if you can find it. That's my vote. From wikipedia:

Quote:
Prerunner Tacomas also had the option of the TRD Off-Road package which (like the 4x4) got a rear differential locker if it was a V6 model (among other suspension variations). One downside is there was not option of a 5-speed transmission.
So I was under the impression they did not make a 5-speed V6 pre-runner, due to this. However I know I have seen 4X4 tacos that were 5-speed. Do we need to change the wikipedia entry?
Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #14
I don't know about the 1st gen tacos, but the second gen 4x4s come with a 5 spd if you have a 2.7 (like mine) or a 6 spd if you have the 4.0. The 4.0 is also available with the 5 spd automatic.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
matthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the roughmatthew5olson is a jewel in the rough

perhaps the pre-runner does not. I have a 4x4 trd 5 speed and mines a 6cyl
Old 07-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #17

having the extra power of a v6 has come in handy many times
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #18
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
6 cyl manual. the 4 cyl will be SO slow, eve my 6 isn't much...
Old 07-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
jflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjflan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jflan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
2WD non-Prerunner is low slung and usually very plain-jane looking....Prerunner is cool because it has 4x4 suspension and sits up like a 4x4.
A Prerunner might also have a better trim package and enhanced traction.
Personally, I would not want a 2.7 with an automatic trans....but that's my opinion, do some test drives.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
saltbranch has a spectacular aura aboutsaltbranch has a spectacular aura about
saltbranch's Tacoma Gallery
T-ray, you need to evaluate what you want to do with the truck and what you expect. I mainly drive mine to and from work and very seldom use it in towing, if i do tow its a small trailer.
You need to think about if you like the low sitting trucks or the higher sitting Pre Runners.
Me- I want hi a MPG truck that will run alot of miles at low cost. I want it to run 70-80 on hwy, mine does easily. I am a standard tranny guy from the get go, in my experience they will take more abuse, plus I like them better. On my truck,my complaint is cargo capacity/rear springs- posted that in another thread.
Toyota has the best aftermarket support hands down for small trucks, that might play into your needs. If your planning on towing alot or want power go v6, if you want MPG and dont mind not being able to beat traffic when merging on the hwy go 4 cyl.
I get in the hi 20's- low 30' on mpg to ranch,depending on cargo weight to and from, plus idling driving on ranch roads.
To and from work is 19 miles each way, if I keep it at 65 mph- 1/2 a tank or less for 5 days driving. 70 and above fuel consumption goes up on my truck.