1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Used Tacoma - oil pump replaced?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bgrundy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jul 10, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    bgrundy

bgrundy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I'm looking at a used 2003 Tacoma with 55k miles on it. I did a carfax report and it shows that the oil pump and power steering pump were both replaced at ~34k miles.

That's a bit bothersome to me. The guy is asking $12k for the truck, which I think is a good deal (xtra cab, prerunner, etc.) but any potential damage from lost oil pressure at one point sort of worries me...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Barry

2. Jul 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Hard to tell ... Assuming it's a V6 ... Both the power steering pump and the oil pump are mounted in the same area. It's conceivable both may have had to be replaced because of a fairly minor problem (not involving loss of engine oil, etc.). On the other hand ...

If it were me this might be enough to motivate me to have a third party mechanic check it out thoroughly if I really wanted this particular Taco ...

Just my .02 ...

3. Jul 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    bgrundy

bgrundy [OP] New Member

Member:
    Your $.02 is much appreciated.

I'm not sure what to think. The seller was not even aware of this. The carfax report shows that he purchased it at 44k miles and the replacement was done at $34.

I test rode it and if felt (and sounded) fine. Would a mechanic be able to spot the sort of damage that would occur from this sort of thing? Given the distances, and both our work schedules (one military, one LE) getting a mechanic visit scheduled will be difficult.

Still, it's a damn good idea.

4. Jul 10, 2009 at 6:46 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    That would have been done under warranty, at 34K, and I can't think of why the oil pump would have needed to be replaced at such low mileage.

The truck could have had low oil pressure, and the light stayed on, or some one could have mis-diagnosed something. You could try and contact the dealer listed on the car fax, and see if they'll tell you why it was replaced, and if it was under warranty or not.

One thing about car fax, their not always correct in their descriptions on the repair done. We had a car coe in the other day, that showed the trans was replaced. Car was from back east, and the tranny had obviously not been replaced. Turns out a minor servince had been done, and somebody messed up when they typed it ion.

5. Jul 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    bgrundy

bgrundy [OP] New Member

Member:
    That's a great point. Still, this truck appears to have had full service about 6 or 7 weeks before the apparent replacements. Here's how it looked in carfax:

It talks about the parts ordered on 4/2 (but that seems a bit long).

Interesting that the pumps were replaced at the same time as the steering/suspension was "checked". Any clues there?

If nothing else, it's good to keep in mind that carfax should not be taken at face value. In this case I'm not sure how else to interpret it.

Thanks for your input.

Edit: By the way, I did call the dealer that did the service. Not too helpful, though it appears they tried (spent plenty of time on the phone with me).

6. Jul 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM
    kevhogaz

kevhogaz Low Speed, High Drag

Member:
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    SR5 PreRunner
    3" lift front & rear, Air Raid Intake System
    That's weird. I don't know why they'd replace the oil pump, they rarely, if ever go bad.

7. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    saltbranch

saltbranch Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    1996 2.4,2wd,5spd, stock, 250k
    I would think the only way you could check for wear, would be pull the main and rods caps=$$, what about getting ahold of the original owner and asking questions?
    I had an 01 Tundra that I traded in on 04 dodge deisel 1 ton. It was about 6 weeks-2 months later I got a call on my cell. It was some guy that says he was in Galveston, Tx(i am in Corpus Christi,tx) considering buying my old Tundra. He described it down to all the mods Idid, weird for me. Asked him how he got my #, said he was a member of US search or something like that and got my # off the plates.

Products Discussed in

To Top