Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grey wire mod

Old 03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #341
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
03tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buy1Get1Freee View Post
No, the mod let's you use the locker (Which locks the rear end so both wheels spin) In 2 wheel drive or 4WD Hi instead of just 4WD Low
So unless you install a switch to the grey wire your rear end will be locked in 2wd no matter what ?
Old 03-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #342
HERP DERP
Buy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud of

Name: Matt
Buy1Get1Freee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tacoman View Post
So unless you install a switch to the grey wire your rear end will be locked in 2wd no matter what ?
No, you can switch between locked or unlocked with the push of the RR Locker button in your truck whenever you want.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #343
03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed03tacoman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
03tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buy1Get1Freee View Post
No, you can switch between locked or unlocked with the push of the RR Locker button in your truck whenever you want.
ahhh got it!
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #344
dicenrice is on a distinguished road
Name: Joshua
dicenrice's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to dicenrice
Ok so went wheeling up above the B in bountiful ut, went to shoot aome guns, snow filled muddy road, problem with locker still exsisted. Tested it out was not working. Got home tore panel off and just re did the whole jump wire. Now it works!!!!! But the light stays flashing so any one got an idea of why???
Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #345
Christian Off Road Engineering
C O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shedC O R E is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clint
C O R E's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent write-up, worked perfectly on my '03 TRD 4x4.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #346
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicenrice View Post
But the light stays flashing so any one got an idea of why???
If the RR locker light is blinking rapidly, your rear locker is still trying to engage. If the light is blinking at a slow pace, it means you are driving too fast (over 5mpg).
Old 03-25-2013, 07:12 AM   #347
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Here's how I lock my rear....

The quickest way I'm able to get my rear diff to actually lock (solid light) is by after pressing the RR locker button, to drive slow and straight then turn my steering wheel slightly left and right. That always gets me locked in. YMMV.

BTW I love this mod
Old 03-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #348
HERP DERP
Buy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud of

Name: Matt
Buy1Get1Freee's Tacoma Gallery
My light is always blinking, but I can hear it engage and feel it. Changed the ground multiple times still blinks. Oh well it works
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #349
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Finally did this since it was warm outside. Going to come in very handy this Saturday!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 AM   #350
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Did this, everything went smoothly except the truck doesn't lock. I did all the things people recommended, driving in some dirt turning left and right trying to get the damn thing to line up and engage. Then I thought, well I never had it locked (thought I did when I test drived it months ago when I bought it, but remembered all the light did was blink and I had no idea that didn't mean it was locked) and I know the previous owner never wheeled it so I think I'm going to be tearing into it this weekend.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #351
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
Did this, everything went smoothly except the truck doesn't lock. I did all the things people recommended, driving in some dirt turning left and right trying to get the damn thing to line up and engage. Then I thought, well I never had it locked (thought I did when I test drived it months ago when I bought it, but remembered all the light did was blink and I had no idea that didn't mean it was locked) and I know the previous owner never wheeled it so I think I'm going to be tearing into it this weekend.
Before you start "tearing into it" Try engaging a few more times, & since you've never had it locked & previous owner prolly never did, it may take a bit more to engage, I'd go ahead & put it in 4 lo & do the usual left/right turns. Also I'd stop in the middle of turns, put it in park & then put it into drive..

This is a common problem for those who never engage their junk kinda of a "use it or lose it " deal...
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #352
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's what I read here too and saw from your other post. I was in 4 lo for at least 15 mins driving around with no luck in getting the thing to engage. I feel like it's seized or something at this point. It's a manual so I put it in neutral and first and second in low with no luck.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #353
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's what I read here too and saw from your other post. I was in 4 lo for at least 15 mins driving around with no luck in getting the thing to engage. I feel like it's seized or something at this point. It's a manual so I put it in neutral and first and second in low with no luck.

You might get a volt meter & see if the acuator/solenoid is getting juice also
Old 04-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #354
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Mine was barely used if at all before I got mine. It took a little while for mine to want to engage, and I would have to shift through all of the gears to get it to engage a lot of times.

After I went wheeling and engaged and disengaged it a lot out there, it works pretty much immediately every time.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #355
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
Mine was barely used if at all before I got mine. It took a little while for mine to want to engage, and I would have to shift through all of the gears to get it to engage a lot of times.

After I went wheeling and engaged and disengaged it a lot out there, it works pretty much immediately every time.
Agreed, the more you use it the easier the engagement becomes...
Old 04-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #356
History is on a distinguished road
History's Tacoma Gallery
Did it today on the new Taco (2002 sr5 4x4). Awesome mod, thanks for the posting of it.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #357

Took the locker off today. Actuator is seized. Electrically I am good as the actuator did twitch a couple times. Looking into tearing into that now.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #358

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Took the locker off today. Actuator is seized. Electrically I am good as the actuator did twitch a couple times. Looking into tearing into that now.
Maybe some lube will get her moving again? Can you take some pics for us if you end up figuring it out? I'd love to keep a visual reference in my head on how to fix a non-responsive factory rear locker.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #359
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Most likely its either dry/corroded or dry & corroded & from non use

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOly View Post
Maybe some lube will get her moving again? Can you take some pics for us if you end up figuring it out? I'd love to keep a visual reference in my head on how to fix a non-responsive factory rear locker.
Good idea on the pics , best way I've seen to keep the E-locker alive & well is use, even if peeps dont see the dirt, sghould find a dirtr lot somewhere & engage it , consider it maintenance
Old 04-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #360
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
^THAT!!!