Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

grey wire mod

Old 04-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #361
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going off this second write up here:
http://ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Actuator_Rebuild

I will definitely take pics. I bought the truck last summer from the original owner and he never locked it so that's what, 12 years of non use? lol
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #362
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
I'm going off this second write up here:
http://ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Actuator_Rebuild

I will definitely take pics. I bought the truck last summer from the original owner and he never locked it so that's what, 12 years of non use? lol
Thanks for that link! Very useful info at the trusty ttora site...as always.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #363
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's not going well. I took it off again and took it apart. It was corroded and the arm couldn't even move. I got it moving again but it still doesn't work. I think the worm gear is also stuck. Ugh.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #364
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
It's not going well. I took it off again and took it apart. It was corroded and the arm couldn't even move. I got it moving again but it still doesn't work. I think the worm gear is also stuck. Ugh.
Shit, sorry to hear man, its just getting worse as you get deeper into it & you say its stuck ? If you can't free it up , your probably done because both surfaces with be pitted/corroded/rusted/etc: does the servo motor still work ?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:12 AM   #365

I unfortunately and stupidly enough didn't try to run the servo unassembled to see if the worm gear moves freely. It's what I am going to do today. When I tested it assembled after I freed the arm I felt the servo get warm but no movement. We'll see what today brings.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #366
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
That sucks. I hope you're able to salvage it. Finding another locker-motor isn't going to be easy if you can't.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #367

Yeah I didn't get to work on it today, but tomorrow is another day. At least I can take my locker on and off in 5-6 minutes flat.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #368
Motokid817
Motokid817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shelby Pierson
Motokid817's Tacoma Gallery
Headed to the shop to do this now! Thank you for the pictures and everything!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #369
TheBruce is on a distinguished road
Navy: Done!
Name: Bruce
TheBruce's Tacoma Gallery
Has anybody tried this mod successfully on a 2007 TRD?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #370
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Only works on 1st gens
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 PM   #371
Newborn
taco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco47001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: High Speed, Low Drag
taco47001's Tacoma Gallery
I finally got around to doing this.... I don't know what I was so scared of. This literally took me 6 minutes from start to finish (which included putting my floor mats in and a quick test of the switch). Great write up.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #372
oneguyonetaco is on a distinguished road

Name: James
oneguyonetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Did this to mine N Love it!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #373
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco47001 View Post
I finally got around to doing this.... I don't know what I was so scared of. This literally took me 6 minutes from start to finish (which included putting my floor mats in and a quick test of the switch). Great write up.
I'll tell you why, because like me I'm reluctant to start mojo'ing the electrical, especially with electronics our trucks have, when I finally did do it I kicked myself for waiting so long to do it, easily the best,easiest smartest,cheapest MOD going for a 1st gen. 4x...
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #374
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Finally Fiiiiinally did this. Wanted to get my locker working first. Great mod, and will be a big help in cycling the locker on and off- gotta "use it or loose it".
Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #375
adamsson00 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jeffy
adamsson00's Tacoma Gallery
Great mod, and even better ttora locker rebuild, my locker doesn't work either, I just wish my actuator case was only corroded as his was
Old 07-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsson00 View Post
Great mod, and even better ttora locker rebuild, my locker doesn't work either, I just wish my actuator case was only corroded as his was
Same. This is as far as I got with the project:

Ran out of time that day and had to throw it back on till I can get time to play with it again.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #377
mrbillbrown is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: mrbill
mrbillbrown's Tacoma Gallery
Tagged for later. Thanks for posting the info
Old 07-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #378

Unhappy

Not sure how to upload more than one pic at a time, seems to only upload the last one, anyway, here is mine, cover was corroded way worse than any others I seen, and before I even tried to take it off I noticed the cover was cracked in 3 spots and it was cracked all the way around the output shaft. This is after I got the cover off and the output shaft stayed in the middle. Anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket locker that bolts where this one came off? I can't even make a new cover an use this one bc I can't even get the worm gear to move, I couldn't even see it through the corroded aluminum. No posi marks for me
Attached Thumbnails
grey wire mod-image.jpg  
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #379

Also called the dealer, a replacement up here is $1400, gonna cut a plate and bolt it in over the hole in the rear diff for now
Old 07-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #380
BlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud ofBlackSportD has much to be proud of
Navy: EM1 Coastal Warfare
BlackSportD's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BlackSportD
Had a fun time wheeling in both high and low with the locker on. What top speed do you guys do when locked?